Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op. Is something wrong?

I’m 2 days gastric bypass post op and I’m in so much pain I can’t get comfortable in any position. All I have for pain is the onQ bag and there’s a little leakage from the spot where that catheter is. I also can’t drink more than 1 oz an hour in tiny sips because drinking hurts. I’m also very bloated and up 10lbs from all the IV fluids. I see all these posts where people feel great a couple days out. I’m a little scared that something is wrong. Has anyone else experienced this?

For peace of mind, I'd check in with your surgeon's office and describe everything (especially the leakage). I also had quite a bit of pain immediately after surgery and I had to request stronger pain meds (which my doctor prescribed for me). Every surgery is different because we all have unique anatomy, so the surgeon has to do more in some cases than others. The bloating and weight gain are totally normal, it takes a while to shed all the Fluid they gave you and for the swelling to subside. The difficulty drinking is also really common, I found drinking even a tiny sip painful at first. The doctor encouraged me to drink slowly but keep at it so I wouldn't become dehydrated. But the best one to evaluate what you're experiencing is your surgeon's office. I'd give them a call and describe your symptoms and they can either advise you or least set your mind at ease that everything is okay. I know those initial few days can be rough, hang in there - it should get better soon. Hugs. 🤗

Edited by Jaelzion

9 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

Edited by ThisMomOf5

I called the doctor this morning and he explained that I had a lot of scar tissue that he had to work through during surgery from 2 previous surgeries (lap band and then removal). My surgery lasted almost 5 hours. He wasn’t surprised that I am in pain. It helps to know that there probably isn’t something wrong and that other people had similar experiences and it turned out ok. I can tough it out. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your advice.

I had a swollen dangly thing years ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

My first recommendation would be to contact your surgeon...which you already did.

Next would be pain management/recovery. You could try gargling with salted warm Water, get one of those throat sprays that numb the throat, chew on ice chips, suck on a soothing lozenge like eucalyptus or honey.

Don't forget to stay hydrated and get lots of rest.

Good Luck! ❤️

14 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I had a swollen dangly thing years ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

My first recommendation would be to contact your surgeon...which you already did.

Next would be pain management/recovery. You could try gargling with salted warm Water, get one of those throat sprays that numb the throat, chew on ice chips, suck on a soothing lozenge like eucalyptus or honey.

Don't forget to stay hydrated and get lots of rest.

Good Luck! ❤️

OMG. i just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Sorry!

It totally doesn't make sense here. I'd remove it but can't. Sorry again1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:43 AM, ms.sss said:

OMG. i just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Sorry!

It totally doesn't make sense here. I'd remove it but can't. Sorry again1

That’s hilarious. I do it on text threads all the time. Nice to see I’m not alone 🙃