Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared I'm recovering too fast...

I know its nuts to complain about having an easy recovery but I'm about 3 weeks out and I'm starting to feel like my normal self. I can tolerate a lot of different foods (although it still takes a while to chew it all up to mush). I can chug my Water, take my pills and Vitamins without any issue.

I'm scared that I'm going to just go back to my normal self. Everyday I feel like I can eat a little more. I am tracking everything with the bariastic app and haven't eaten more than 500-600 cals a day and I am hitting my Protein goals. But I already hit a stall as soon as I went off liquids. I lost 22 lbs from feb 2 until last Saturday and then nothing since.

Am I just being impatient or irrational? I feel like I should back pedal and go back to Protein Shakes. I have a surgery twin (same doctor) who was experiencing some issues and is still on the liquid stage and she is losing more than me (I know I shouldn't compare but its hards not to...) I just have this fear that this is not going to work. It was biggest fear before I got the surgery. I hope I break this stall soon...

Thanks for "listening" to my rant. Im just frustrated about being frustrated this early on...

I don’t know how to answer only because I’m at my third week too but I haven’t tried as much food variety. Besides the fact that I had a rash ( I’m allergic to something just don’t know what yet could be glue/ soap/ Vitamins etc) I am also feeling well. I had one good I tried didn’t sit well with me but other than that I tolerate Beans, fish and I do chug Water too I tried the sips couldn’t do it. Also I lost 20 pounds since preop so in three and a half weeks and my doctor was exited but then I measured last week and only 2 pounds, compared to 11 I lost the first week. I think it’s all just a work in progress. I’m afraid now that I’m in phase 3 I won’t loose as much either because I’m I taking real food but it’s a marathon not a race so if I were you don’t compare yourself because I did that before and i know how you can feel like a failure if you don’t loose as much as the next person. Take it day by day and I too only consume 300-500 calories in this stage. I’m optimistic it’s because we are new at this. You can go back to two shakes and one supper with just puréed food but that’s up to you. Don’t give up

49 minutes ago, Wild13 said:

I think it’s all just a work in progress. I’m afraid now that I’m in phase 3 I won’t loose as much either because I’m I taking real food but it’s a marathon not a race so if I were you don’t compare yourself because I did that before and i know how you can feel like a failure if you don’t loose as much as the next person.

Thanks for responding! It's nuts how my thoughts and moods are all over the place since the surgery. Last night I was feeling low but this morning I feel fine again. I think I was being melodramatic yesterday. lol! I agree with you. I'm so used to sprinting towards weight loss and gaining it all back over time. I have to train myself for the long-term. I decided (at least right now) to just keep moving forward. Hopefully, we'll both make it where we want to be at the "finish line."

not sure why you're complaining - I think we'd all love an easy recovery! (and many of us do have them). It sounds like you're progressing normally. No reason to go back to Protein Shakes only if you're not having any issues.

almost everyone has their first major stall during the first month or so after surgery. We even have a name for it - "the three-week stall" (because it's usually the third week, but not always. It can be the second week or the fifth week). It'll last for 1-3 weeks. Just stick to your program and it WILL break. You will likely hit a few of these on your journey.

I had a very easy recovery and was able to progress quickly, like you. I ended up losing all of my excess weight. So you're fine.

7 hours ago, XtinaDoesIt said:

I know its nuts to complain about having an easy recovery but I'm about 3 weeks out and I'm starting to feel like my normal self. I can tolerate a lot of different foods (although it still takes a while to chew it all up to mush). I can chug my Water, take my pills and Vitamins without any issue.

I'm scared that I'm going to just go back to my normal self. Everyday I feel like I can eat a little more. I am tracking everything with the bariastic app and haven't eaten more than 500-600 cals a day and I am hitting my Protein goals. But I already hit a stall as soon as I went off liquids. I lost 22 lbs from feb 2 until last Saturday and then nothing since.

Am I just being impatient or irrational? I feel like I should back pedal and go back to Protein Shakes. I have a surgery twin (same doctor) who was experiencing some issues and is still on the liquid stage and she is losing more than me (I know I shouldn't compare but its hards not to...) I just have this fear that this is not going to work. It was biggest fear before I got the surgery. I hope I break this stall soon...

Thanks for "listening" to my rant. Im just frustrated about being frustrated this early on...

I had surgery Jan 20th ... have been consistently losing a pound every 1-2 days. Started at 280 at the two week pre-op (Jan 6th) and am now at 237 ... My calorie intake has crept up (500-600 up to ~1000 now) as we experiment with eating out a bit. We love Mexican food ... I order refried Beans and sometimes a tamale but only eat about 1/3-1/2 of it. I think portion size is the key and I love that my new stomach very much vehemently tells me when I'm full!

Hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race after all. If you maintain at less than 1000 calories/day you WILL continue to drop pounds.

10 minutes ago, XtinaDoesIt said:

Thanks for responding! It's nuts how my thoughts and moods are all over the place since the surgery. Last night I was feeling low but this morning I feel fine again. I think I was being melodramatic yesterday. lol! I agree with you. I'm so used to sprinting towards weight loss and gaining it all back over time. I have to train myself for the long-term. I decided (at least right now) to just keep moving forward. Hopefully, we'll both make it where we want to be at the "finish line."

I sort of feel the same way. I've had almost zero pain and having no issues with getting my Water in.I am not hungry I am still on Clear Liquids. I will be going back to liquid in a couple of days which means Protein shakes!!! This is going to work for me! Good luck to you!

10 minutes ago, XtinaDoesIt said:

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

It'll last for 1-3 weeks.

That sucks! lol. I hope mine is closer to 1 week. 😁 But thanks for the encouragement. I will stick to it! I think I was just worried that maybe my surgeon wasn't aggressive enough or something... which I know is ridiculous. I'm just so pessimistic about weight loss. I can't wait to be 3 months in...

1 hour ago, clifhiker said:

I had surgery Jan 20th ... have been consistently losing a pound every 1-2 days. Started at 280 at the two week pre-op (Jan 6th) and am now at 237

WoW! Thats awesome!!! Congrats! Thanks for the encouragement!

I had a super easy recovery, and I was concerned because I never had restriction with liquids after like week 2. Solids proved that the restriction was there!

One of my coworkers had this surgery 8 years ago and she told me that it was simply the easiest thing ever for her, the surgery, losing weight, and maintaining the weight loss. I’m hoping that it goes that way for me too, and here’s hoping it for you as well.

17 minutes ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I had a super easy recovery, and I was concerned because I never had restriction with liquids after like week 2. Solids proved that the restriction was there!

One of my coworkers had this surgery 8 years ago and she told me that it was simply the easiest thing ever for her, the surgery, losing weight, and maintaining the weight loss. I’m hoping that it goes that way for me too, and here’s hoping it for you as well.

Good to hear. I've had no pain to speak of at this point. I feel like my Belly is still swollen or could be from gas but I don't feel anymore gas. I hope everything contiues this way ! No hunger, No Pain and no desire to eat. I am going to lose weight for sure!