Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home Alone after Surgery?

Hello all,

I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery in April. I live alone and my family is in another state. Due to COVID, I will most likely be home alone recovering from surgery starting the day after I'm released from the hospital. (My brother will be with me on surgery day and the next day whn I should be released from the hospital. The following day he returns to work.)

Were any of you recovering home alone? What was that experience like for you? What did you need help with? Is this a crazy plan?

Thanks!

For me, I def could be alone. By day four I was driving to the grocery store. It depends on each person I’m sure. I am a quick recovery person though I think. Good luck to you and hope all goes well!!

I was alone. The surgeon did keep me in an extra day just to make sure I was stable. Was fortunate as my back went to spasm from a pre existing condition & tension I was holding cause I had a lot of swelling & had trouble swallowing so I had another day in hospital. All was good when I went home on day 4.

I just made sure I had all the recommended over the counter meds (gasX, Imodium, pain meds, etc.), prescribed meds, broths, Soups, Protein mixes, & such I’d need when I got home so I didn’t need to go out nor did I need anyone to get things for me.

I had little or no surgical pain by about day 4 & no gas pain at all. Could get about my house with little issue - just carefully. I spent most of my days on my couch resting.

My family lives away from me too but I a couple of girlfriends who lived locally rang or txt daily to check on me.

My hubby was home with me but he was more of a pain in my butt than anything. My surgeon said it was a good thing to get up and get my own Water, broth ect the more moving around the better it was for getting the gas out. I just wanted to rest the first two days.

My days were sipping on my fluids and going to the bathroom. I think you will be find. Make sure you have what you need at home so you don't have to drive anywhere in case you need pain meds ( I didn't take any when I got home) . and keep your phone next to you in case of emergency.

Congrats and good luck :)

My husband took a week off but ended up going back to work after about three days. Honestly, I probably would have been fine on my own from the get-go. It was nice to have him here to bring me Protein Shakes and fluids, but I probably could have done it myself.

If all goes well, you should have no trouble. It was an easy recovery. I work from home and was able to manage the day after I came home from the hospital. (Was there one night) I was moving slowly and took it easy but was fine. I