Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My goal outfit is/was . . .

So I am day 3 - post op and experiencing many of the same hurdles so many have posted that had surgery before me... but instead of focusing on those hurdles, I thought it would be nice to lighten the mood a little and see how people will respond to the following prompt:

What is or was your goal outfit?

I think (well... strike that - I know) that I am a little weird in that I don’t have a goal outfit in mind. I thought that I would pick one out before I went in for the big event, but the more I thought about it, it just felt strange to pick out and purchase smaller clothing and honestly I didn’t want the side glances from other people in the store when I purchased a dress that didn’t fall into the three T’s: Tent, Tablecloth, Tapestry. So instead, I decided that my goal outfit will be a kayak. A true kayak - not one of the open ones. When I can get in and out and paddle an entire day without falling dead of exhaustion and perhaps catch a couple fish - - -I will call it GOAL!!!

How about you? What is or was your goal outfit?

97A7F3EB-6BCE-4D7A-9EC2-0072E2D2B2C4.jpeg

Well that's certainly creative lol. I don't actually have a goal outfit. My goal weight is 180 pounds (it'd be nice if I can get smaller, but I set my goal while trying to be realistic) so I was trying to remember what size I was when I WAS 180 pounds (this was 20 years ago... when I was all of 13) and I think I was a 16, so I was originally thinking I'd probably settle in a 16 or MAYBE 14, but I fit into a 14 in jeans NOW and I'm 196 pounds right now so still 16 pounds away from my goal weight, so now I'm thinking my weight will probably settle me in a 12. Unless I somehow lose more weight than I expect. But I don't know... only lost two pounds last month, but this month has made up for it as I've lost 5 pounds this month. It'd be amazing if I could get down to 175 or even 170. But I'd be fine to settle in the 180's too. I used to be 389 pounds just two years ago. I NEVER in my life thought I'd ever see myself get under 300 much less under 200. It's surreal to be in the 100's for the first time in 20 years, but I'm loving it and am so proud of myself!

Congrats on the beginning of your journey and I wish you the best! You can do it!

It wasn’t so much as a final goal, but I really wanted to fit into a pair of these awesome size 8 jeans I bought on sale a long time ago when I was a size 10, thinking I would lose a few pounds to fit into them.

I never did.

Fast forward to weight loss after surgery, and I effing missed my window to fit into them! By the time I remembered to try them on, i had already sized out of them. Geez.

I like your idea of the kayak goal. Though honestly, even now I doubt I could go kayaking all day and NOT be exhausted, lol.

But you do remind me that I still have one more weight loss goal to cross off my list: to go diving and NOT have to wear a mens’ XL wetsuit AND not have pack my BCD with like 20 lbs of weights while everyone else needed less than 10!! (I always found the amount of weights i needed slightly embarrassing 😢). So as soon as we can go on vacation, this is gonna be crossed off my list!!!

Edited by ms.sss

Funny you guys brought all these things up as I was just talking with my husband the other day about goals and what I "couldn't wait to do/wear/etc." and I realized most of my goals are actually things like...........

Ziplining
Go on a water/jet ski without worrying about if I will be too big or not (every Summer vacation I miss out on doing it with my husband because of my fear)
Kanooing/Kayaking
Parasailing
Fitting better into booths at restaurants
Fitting better into an airline seat without the fear of needing/asking for an extender

Etc.....

But yeah, I'm just looking forward to the day when these fun and exciting things (and every day things) come up and I can say yes, let's do it!, without worrying if my weight would prohibit me. No activity really scares me. It was always just the weight that held me back.

I have clear visions of what I want to wear! The world better not let me lose weight before the sun comes out because I barely wear clothes as it is 😂

Screenshot_20210225-211619__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-211925__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-212023__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-212428__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-212451__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-212537__01.jpg

I shared mine in an earlier post:

My Mom died 10 years ago and my sister and I divided her personal belongings between us. My mom had a fabulous wardrobe but because I was at my top weight, I couldn't wear anything of hers. Last month, I asked my sister to pick me out one or two items that were Mommy's since I can fit them now. My sister generously picked out several of her most gorgeous outfits and I can fit them all now! It feels surreal, like a dream. It's another way to connect with her now that she's in heaven. ☺️

LOVE that black dress MissSpartyPants posted!!!!

16 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

LOVE that black dress MissSpartyPants posted!!!!

Right!!! My personal style has always been minimalist so body (read:bawdy) has been a huge focal point for my personal style. That black dress is EVERYTHING.

14 hours ago, MissSmartyPants said:

Right!!! My personal style has always been minimalist so body (read:bawdy) has been a huge focal point for my personal style. That black dress is EVERYTHING.

I hear ya! Back in the day when I was slim I was all about the barely there clothing and heels. LOL Can't wait to see all the nice, stylish clothing I'll be able to wear again some day once my surgery is done!! At least I HOPE! LOL

22 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

I hear ya! Back in the day when I was slim I was all about the barely there clothing and heels. LOL Can't wait to see all the nice, stylish clothing I'll be able to wear again some day once my surgery is done!! At least I HOPE! LOL

No hopes! Only guarantees! We can swap pics when we get there 💪

My goal:

Start taking KRAV MAGA again
Tattoo
Keeping up with my kids, biking, running, swimming

Mine is to be able to tuck in a cute blouse with some jeans and be abled to see the belt buckle lol

Buying/feeling comfortable in a swimsuit. I never wore one to the beach. I always wore shorts and a tank top. This year I bought 2 swimsuits so far and I can't wait to wear them.

I don't have a goal outfit; I just want to be in "normal" sizes. Of course, about 7 years ago I briefly fit into non-plus sizes after losing 100 lbs, and I couldn't figure out my style; there was just too much to chose from! But now I'd be happy to have that problem again.

Like others here have said, what's more important to me is to be able to do more without feeling uncomfortable. I want to take exercise classes in public! It's not so much that I'm embarrassed of being fat in public, but I'm embarrassed that I can't keep up.

I want to go hiking with my fit friends and not worry about how much I'm slowing them down. (Although I'll still probably slow them down when heights are involved because I'm scared of falling;)

The one thing with me is that I pretty much dressed the same as I always did, but it was a lot harder to find anything cute in a size 32.
My dream outfit is just to wear things in smaller sizes and be able to buy things at a variety of places. I'm about an 18/20 now and it's already so much better!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app