Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taste Changes

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I've read a lot about people suddenly having a dislike for some foods they liked before surgery (usually of the sugar variety), but I haven't really seen anyone mention a change in tastes the other direction. For those of you that have had surgery and moved onto solids, are there some foods you are now finding you like/love that you use to hate? I was curious about if the changes in food preference go both ways.

Tons of things.

I used to LOVE Egg McMuffins....I think they're kinda Meh, now.

Pasta...loved it....can't tolerate much of it now. Pizza...same.

I used to LOVE chili cheese dogs.....they taste like greese and salt now...just nasty.

I have NOT lost my love of sugar. But I can't eat more than 200 calories of a significantly sugary food without feeling gross....I want to drink a big glass of Water and lie down.

I used to HATE sweet potatoes....they're one of my favorite things now.

Never liked beans....I crave black Beans now. Particularly, black beans with salt and pepper poured over a baked potato with onions. Who knew?

Used to love dairy.....I'd rather use almond milk and olive oil butter now.

I crave crunchy veggies. Seriously. Not just saying that. I genuinely love the flavors...and never used to. salad for dinner sounds MUCH better to me than a casorole or anything with rich sauce...bleh.

Used to love meatloaf. Nope. Salty and greasy...no yum factor.

Tofu....used to feel Meh about it....now, I crave it. Same with nuts. Never liked them....now, they're a daily thing.

Used to LOVE eggs and could eat three several times a week.....can eat one poached now, once in a while...but rarely. Never fried anymore...bleh. (though, if my husband has one, I might dip a toast corner in his yolk)

Used to DESPISE oatmeal and cream of wheat.......I eat them nearly everyday now.

Used to love bread....like...half a loaf of fresh bread. I still like fresh bread, but I have one piece and I'm done.

Love berries. And bananas. And avacado on sourdough.

Used to love heavier meats....pork, steak, sausage. Am totally grossed out by all sausage now, and eat a very small amount of chops or steak.

Used to HATE fish. Now I love fish. Paricularly crab, scallops and shrimp.

I still love candy, Pringles, donuts, cake, ice cream.....but I can stop at 200 calories worth and not have to fight any urge for more. 200 calories of those things feels like enough and it is a LOT easier to stop. (but be careful, because in about two hours, 200 more calories might sound really good)

Edited by Creekimp13

I’m 8 months out and I can’t say my tastes have changed at all. I can eat anything (from a “I can tolerate it” standpoint, not saying I can mow down a half a pizza like before) and I haven’t found anything that seems to taste different or tolerate better or worse.

Besides your taste buds changing so too may your sense of smell. So don’t be surprised if the smell of some things turn your stomach too. No idea why it happens but it does pass.

I love my vegetables but for a good month or two I could only tolerate steamed cabbage & cauliflower. Was so glad when I could enjoy them again. I also couldn’t stand anything sweet but that was likely because I cut it out of my diet wherever I could. No loss there I still avoid sugar, artificial sweeteners & sugar alternatives as much as possible. The restrictive diet you’re on pre & post surgery can change how sweet or high fat foods taste to you. The thing is not to start eating them again so your desire & enjoyment of them is not reinvigorated.

I used to hate Salmon, but now I love it, and eat it regularly. I used to love Haddock, and now I don't care for it at all.

Steak used to be my favorite, now I can't really eat it. The little bit I can eat, I don't enjoy it anymore. I used to love Pork Chops, but have no desire to eat pork anymore, and haven't since surgery. Sausage pepper, and onion subs was also a favorite, now just the smell of it makes me sick.

I was a huge salad eater before, and would always have a side salad before my dinner. Now I really don't care for it, and have hard time digesting it. Broccoli & Cauliflower were my favorite veggies, now I have a hard time digesting them, so I don't eat them anymore.

I hate eggs, and even the smell of them cooking makes me feel sick.

I was a huge ice Water drinker, the colder the better. Now I have to drink my water at room temp.

These are just a few of the things I can think of right now. I am sure there are many more.

I used to dislike raw carrots and now I munch on them almost every day. Conversely, I used to love barbecue and now it's "meh".

Prior to surgery I was not really into sweet stuff. Desserts were always, yeah, that looks good, but it wasn't something that my engines revved for (but I ate it anyway! lol).

I still didn't care too, too much about it during weight loss phase, but a few months into maintenance my sweet tooth awakened. I really, really, really, like dessert now (but not candy, or chocolate bars and stuff like that, which is weird). I generally only have like 1-2 bites of whatever it is, which is enough to satisfy me...plus if I eat more I'll dump anyway.

I also used to just like salad, now I LOVE it. And Water. It's like crack for me.

From the other direction, Pasta, rice, bread and potatoes was like 80% of my diet pre-wls, no joke. I still don't eat pasta and rice, but I do now eat bread and potatoes occasionally, I don't really need it, and could go without if I had to, and not miss it.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Thank you all! I am glad to hear taste buds change not just in a negative way. Reading about so many people disliking things they use to like, but not really seeing much in the way of liking new things was starting to worry me a bit. I am a pretty picky eater so there was this underlying fear that I'd lose some of the stuff I like and my options would be even less or I'd have to force myself to eat some things until I hopefully developed a taste for them. And no one wants to have to eat things they dislike, lol. As a disclaimer, I am fully aware that my eating habits have to change, that's just an easier process if I have things that I like to eat to help it along.

I'd love to like fish. I currently l like shellfish (scallops, calamari, lobster, crab, shrimp), but I -want- to like salmon, tuna, and other super healthy options. Wishful thinking, but I can dream!

47 minutes ago, SunnyinSC said:

Thank you all! I am glad to hear taste buds change not just in a negative way. Reading about so many people disliking things they use to like, but not really seeing much in the way of liking new things was starting to worry me a bit. I am a pretty picky eater so there was this underlying fear that I'd lose some of the stuff I like and my options would be even less or I'd have to force myself to eat some things until I hopefully developed a taste for them. And no one wants to have to eat things they dislike, lol. As a disclaimer, I am fully aware that my eating habits have to change, that's just an easier process if I have things that I like to eat to help it along.

I'd love to like fish. I currently l like shellfish (scallops, calamari, lobster, crab, shrimp), but I -want- to like salmon, tuna, and other super healthy options. Wishful thinking, but I can dream!

I used to eat tuna all the time, but now I hate it. The smell of it makes me feel sick. Hubby made some the other day, and I could not get rid of the smell in my head. It was awful! I noticed that my smell has changed more than my eating habits. If my hubby makes something with cooked onions, it makes me feel ill also. Weird.