Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is dumping a big problem for you?

I will be revising from Lap Band to Bypass soon. I am PETRIFIED of dumping! I have partial dentures and the last thing I need is to puke them into the toilet! Also, I LOVE chocolate and ice cream and would love to eat a mouthful occasionally after maybe 6 months post-op. Also I'd like to know if you have a problem with any fried foods? The only thing I eat now that is fried is an occasional flounder filet. Please tell me at how many months post-op did you re-introduced sugar and fried and what happened. Was the reaction immediately after eating them or delayed? I'm hoping I will be able to tolerate them down the path.... I am also concerned about becoming lactose intolerant...

I started dumping not long after I started introducing regular food into my diet - around 6 weeks post op. But it's entirely my own fault since I tend to snack on high sugar items after dinner, then end up dumping during the night. On days when I am disciplined enough to avoid high sugar foods, I am perfectly fine.

Not everyone experiences dumping. I just hope that my head eventually gets the message that eating worthless sugary foods is not good for my health!

only about 30% of RNY patients dump (I never have - and know lots of others who don't). If you're a "dumper", it can be controlled by limiting your sugar intake (and for some people, fat - but sugar seems to be the more common culprit). Many people who dump can eat SOME sugar (well, and there are a few who really can't eat it at all). But it seems most can manage something like a small cookie or a few bites of cake. But much more than that and they'll dump. I kind of wish I WAS a dumper so I wouldn't eat that crap!

P.S. some people do vomit when dumping, but the more common side effects are dizziness, diarrhea, cramping, chills, and heart palpitations. So even if you turn out to be a dumper, yours might not involve vomiting. Besides, vomiting isn't as bad after RNY. You have a really small stomach, so there's not much in there to vomit. Plus you don't have much acid in your stomach, either, so you don't have that awful taste. It tastes the same coming up as it did going down.

Edited by catwoman7

I am a dumper and I cant vomit. I dump on carbs, dairy, and sugar or combos of the 3. No biscuit and gravy, no Cereal, no ice cream. Things I dont need to eat anyway. I am a violent dumper too !!! It can go on for hours and its like having the worst stomach flu for me, but nothing will come back up. AWFUL. Overeating does the same thing. Guess that is why I dont have problems with trying to keep my weight down like I did with VSG.

I have a friend who is not a dumper and can eat good size portions and has had a good amount of weight gain. Be careful this is NOT a restrictive surgery for revisions. She said she waited 2 years to try no no foods and since she doesnt dump she eating like before surgery. Good luck

I dump if I eat any amount of sugar, even a very small amount (heart palpitations, nausea) and I just avoid it completely. It's easy enough to use sweetener in cooking and no added sugar drinks/squash. I also dump with fatty food - last week I thought I could manage some Chinese food - singapore noodles - oh dear - that was the first time I'd been sick with it. I didn't have many of the noodles, mostly shrimps and shredded meat - so it must have been the frying/fat. On the plus side it makes it easier to avoid the foods I shouldn't eat!

I'm a sleever and most of us don't really dump, but I do notice if I eat more than 200 calories of a sugary treat or simple carb without Fiber I feel gross. Not sick like the bypassers, but it's unpleasant enough that when I get offered birthday cake at a party, I'm super careful to keep it extra tiny.

200 calories of sugary crap, I can enjoy once in a while on a special occasion. Any more, and I just want a glass of Water and to lie down for half an hour.

Have you considered the sleeve? It is much more forgiving with small amounts of really naughty stuff. Also, I have never vomited since being sleeved. I don't think it's impossible, but I have not had the need to.

Edited by Creekimp13

I don’t dump. I dumped very shortly after surgery one time after eating some sugar free pudding. I also cannot seem to vomit. 😳