Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal hernia and gastric sleeve

I’m scheduled to get my sleeve in a month (yay!) but I’m afraid it’ll worsen my gerd. I’ve heard on here that some people get their hiatal hernias fixed when they get their surgery. Does having a gastric surgery automatically fix the hernia or is it something extra that your doctor has to do? I developed a tiny hiatal hernia over the last year and I’d like to have it fixed with my surgery. My surgeon knows about it but hasn’t mentioned anything regarding fixing it. Should I bring it up beforehand or is it something that gets fixed with surgery anyway?

Certainly mention it to him so that he is prepared for it, but it is typically something that they do automatically as pare of the WLS (they probably can't do the WLS without correcting the hernia.) Many don't know that they had one when they went in for surgery and the surgeon just mentions that he fixed it while he did the sleeve.

Thanks! Because of the logistics of the procedure I thought they would have to repair it anyway (in diagrams it looks like they remove the top part of the stomach that would be herniated) but I’ll let him know beforehand that I have one and want it fixed if possible while he’s in there

I’m one who had an unknown hiatal hernia repaired during surgery. I had situational reflux (only happened with certain foods) so I’m hoping the repair will eliminate it altogether. I’ve been put on omeprazole for a while so no reflux at all so far.

I, too, had an unknown hiatal hernia repaired during surgery. They essentially need to otherwise the food could get stuck. I would just be sure the surgeon knows ahead of time. Mine was surprised but acted as if it was no big deal.