Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in the morning. Pain & Nausea?

I am reading that many had nausea and severe pain. Can you share your surgery day experience with me? Thanks

I had almost no pain. I didn't use the morphine pump until a nurse insisted I did since she wanted me to get out of bed and walk more (my abs were a little sore which made it a bit challenging to transition, although it was more like I'd done a ton of crunches. If I was just lying there - or sitting there - or standing there - I had no pain). They sent me home with a bottle of pain pills that I never opened. Didn't need 'em. (some people DO have pain, though, so I don't want to steer you wrong here - but it seems like most people have very little pain with these surgeries). The severe pain you mentioned seems to be pretty rare. I've been hanging out here for several years, and I would say that's not true of most of us. Maybe a few here and there, but for most - no.

as for nausea, I had some the afternoon and evening of the surgery, but the nurses put Zofran in my IV line which really helped.

Edited by catwoman7

Thankfully, I did not have nausea. Surgery day when I woke up I was in pain, but I told my surgeon and he ordered medicine that did work and only had it twice. About 8 hours apart each. Then I was fine. I walked twenty laps around the floor the next day. Used the bathroom regularly. And was able to drink 48 oz each day. It was a good experience. However, day 2-4/5 were brutal. These were the days I was so bloated. It was painful. I had pain in my shoulders, back, and chest. But then day 5 it was significantly better and improved daily afterwards. I'm on day 20 and able to drink 64 oz of Water and 50 grams of Protein. My best advice for surgery day is to use the bed to get up and down, the sitting up part will feel like you ripped your stitches. Good luck!

My surgeon participates in an enhanced recovery program at the hospital that I had my surgery at. They automatically give Zofran (for nausea) along with other meds like Tramadol for pain so I didn't have much nausea at all. I did have a fair amount of gas pain from the CO2 gas that they use to inflate your abdomen with during the surgery. Not everyone has this though. I got a couple of doses of Dilaudid and that helped a lot! They will have you walk a lot after surgery which also helps with the gas. Good Luck tomorrow!! You got this!!!!

My pain was mostly related to gas collecting across my upper shoulders and back. Honestly it took about a week to full resolve. My incisions didn’t hurt much, except for a short lasting pain under my right ribs. No nausea though. Best wishes to you!

48 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I had almost no pain. I didn't use the morphine pump until a nurse insisted I did since she wanted me to get out of bed and walk more (my abs were a little sore which made it a bit challenging to transition, although it was more like I'd done a ton of crunches. If I was just lying there - or sitting there - or standing there - I had no pain). They sent me home with a bottle of pain pills that I never opened. Didn't need 'em. (some people DO have pain, though, so I don't want to steer you wrong here - but it seems like most people have very little pain with these surgeries). The severe pain you mentioned seems to be pretty rare. I've been hanging out here for several years, and I would say that's not true of most of us. Maybe a few here and there, but for most - no.

as for nausea, I had some the afternoon and evening of the surgery, but the nurses put Zofran in my IV line which really helped.

Thanks for sharing...I am about 10 hours way at this point. This is good to hear. Thanks again!

48 minutes ago, icandothis_gastricsleeve020221 said:

Thankfully, I did not have nausea. Surgery day when I woke up I was in pain, but I told my surgeon and he ordered medicine that did work and only had it twice. About 8 hours apart each. Then I was fine. I walked twenty laps around the floor the next day. Used the bathroom regularly. And was able to drink 48 oz each day. It was a good experience. However, day 2-4/5 were brutal. These were the days I was so bloated. It was painful. I had pain in my shoulders, back, and chest. But then day 5 it was significantly better and improved daily afterwards. I'm on day 20 and able to drink 64 oz of Water and 50 grams of Protein. My best advice for surgery day is to use the bed to get up and down, the sitting up part will feel like you ripped your stitches. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you responding....ready to roll at 630 am. Going to sleep a bit.

I slept most of the day after my surgery. No nausea & the pain was managed by the meds they gave me so didn’t really feel any at all. Slept a lot of the next day too. Couldn’t concentrate on anything. Tried to read. Tried to watch Netflix but couldn’t focus. No trouble strolling around the ward & showered myself on day 2.

I was to spend two days in hospital & home day 3 because I live alone but ended up staying another day because my back went into spasm. (Pre existing issue plus holding a lot of tension cause I had trouble swallowing because of swelling.) That pain was terrible. Went home day 4. Took prescribed pain med in the morning but didn’t need to take anything after that. I didn’t have any gas pain.

I rolled the waistband of my pants below my incisions because it irritated a bit - sort of uncomfortable pressure. Had no trouble sleeping on my side or partly on my stomach. Getting up & down was ok just took it slowly.

Worst was the sudden & unexpected diarrhoea. OMG. Be ready for it.

1 hour ago, Moon2408 said:
1 hour ago, Moon2408 said:
1 hour ago, NiceAnkles said:

My pain was mostly related to gas collecting across my upper shoulders and back. Honestly it took about a week to full resolve. My incisions didn’t hurt much, except for a short lasting pain under my right ribs. No nausea though. Best wishes to you!

My surgeon participates in an enhanced recovery program at the hospital that I had my surgery at. They automatically give Zofran (for nausea) along with other meds like Tramadol for pain so I didn't have much nausea at all. I did have a fair amount of gas pain from the CO2 gas that they use to inflate your abdomen with during the surgery. Not everyone has this though. I got a couple of doses of Dilaudid and that helped a lot! They will have you walk a lot after surgery which also helps with the gas. Good Luck tomorrow!! You got this!!!!

I am not getting Dilaudid :(...something far less potent. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Tim C

No real pain as such, just a tender belly (to be expected) and no nausea at all. In fact they gave me ondansetron to bring home from the hospital, and I had only one the following day but more as a preventative.

I haven't had any vomiting or nausea since surgery, but I have had pain when I have had too big a mouthful or not chewed enough. I sit up straight or take a short walk around the house and it goes away.

29 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I slept most of the day after my surgery. No nausea & the pain was managed by the meds they gave me so didn’t really feel any at all. Slept a lot of the next day too. Couldn’t concentrate on anything. Tried to read. Tried to watch Netflix but couldn’t focus. No trouble strolling around the ward & showered myself on day 2.

I was to spend two days in hospital & home day 3 because I live alone but ended up staying another day because my back went into spasm. (Pre existing issue plus holding a lot of tension cause I had trouble swallowing because of swelling.) That pain was terrible. Went home day 4. Took prescribed pain med in the morning but didn’t need to take anything after that. I didn’t have any gas pain.

I rolled the waistband of my pants below my incisions because it irritated a bit - sort of uncomfortable pressure. Had no trouble sleeping on my side or partly on my stomach. Getting up & down was ok just took it slowly.

Worst was the sudden & unexpected diarrhoea. OMG. Be ready for it.

I have been constipated for a couple a days and finally had BM followed by a couple of hours of Diarrhea That was brutal. Surgery in 8 hours,,,,Thanks again

5 minutes ago, Neensyb said:

No real pain as such, just a tender belly (to be expected) and no nausea at all. In fact they gave me ondansetron to bring home from the hospital, and I had only one the following day but more as a preventative.

I haven't had any vomiting or nausea since surgery, but I have had pain when I have had too big a mouthful or not chewed enough. I sit up straight or take a short walk around the house and it goes away.

That is great info...Thanks for sharing!

Goodluck tomorrow, Tim!! I can’t give you any advice on pain bc I had a hernia and diaphragm repair and that sucked, but definitely get up and walk whenever and as soon as you can! The CO2 pain is worse than the staples in your gut!!

I’m not sure if you’ve ever been under general anesthetic, but if you haven’t and don’t know how you react, I would just ask for a few CCs of Zofran in my IV from the CRNA prior to them taking you back. It’s not got any narcotic, sleepy, or negative properties or side effects except being an anti-nausea and anti-emetic. I do terrible with anesthesia so it’s my go to.

My last bit of advice is to work really hard from day one to train yourself to take in VERY VERY small amounts of fluids at a time. I’m a gulper always have been. So I’ve had to REALLY work on it. Because that restriction is legit the first week. But it does open up and you can drink and not feel parched!!

I actually tried my first Protein Shake and instinctively took a huge chug of it and sat up straight miserable for 2 hours waiting for it to go down. So that was my lesson. Baby baby sips til my pouch opens up a bit more, which my surgeon said will happen as I’m able to add more than just liquid!!

You are going to do GREAT!!! You have a ton of support on here! Your posts are great!! Please keep us updated!!

Goodluck and congratulations! Ill be thinking about you!

I had a lot of pain immediately after my surgery for reasons that had to do with pain medication issues (it is detailed in a post that I made a while back). As soon as the pain meds started working the pain went down to basically nothing. I wouldn't imagine you're going to feel much pain at all, maybe just some discomfort for a little while. As for dry mouth, I did not experience any that I recall. I recommend just trying to drink or chew on ice when they tell you to. Good luck with everything and I wish you the best!

I had both pain and nausea but both were controlled by medication. What I was given for pain at first did not work, so my doctor upped it to a stronger med. Even if you're one of those who does have pain after surgery, your care team should work with you to keep it controlled.