Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don’t feel right

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. You should definitely call your surgeon's office to check in and see what they say. However, at only 11 days out, it's still VERY early. At that point, a lot of us felt weak, had major problems trying to drink, couldn't eat at all, couldn't hit the Protein targets, couldn't walk much. It wasn't until week 3 that I started to feel better. I know on this forum you see a lot of people post that they had no pain and were able to go back to work after a week. I believe them and I'm glad for them, but not everyone has that experience. It's normal to feel pain and weakness after major surgery. But if you're at all concerned, that's what your surgical team is for. I called several times when something happened that I didn't expect and they were always willing to listen and advise. Yours should be too.

It is very likely dehydration. I experienced that as well shortly after surgery because I was not getting enough Water.

Check your blood pressure if you can. You might need to get IV fluids if it is dangerously low. My surgeon told me I should go to the emergency room if my systolic number (the top one) got below 90.

Edited by Recidivist

I drank hydralite for about the first three months for the same reason - energy boost & the electrolytes. Helped a lot. But definitely call your medical team.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Jaelzion said:

However, at only 11 days out, it's still VERY early. At that point, a lot of us felt weak, had major problems trying to drink, couldn't eat at all, couldn't hit the Protein targets, couldn't walk much.

Mischa, you and I are surgery buddies. I was sleeved the same day you were. I want to reiterate what Jaelzion said. Until yesterday I could not get more than 38 ounces of Fluid and 20 grams of Protein. I called my program and spoke to my nutritionist and she told me to aim for 50oz Water, mix it with some Gatorade zero or some kind of supplement with electrolytes and just fight it out until . I have, by the grace of God been able to avoid needing IV fluids; but these last 2 days have been hard on my actual body. I was getting 5000 steps a day (their goal for me til week 4) and today I couldn’t get out of bed. The weakness has been overwhelming today!!! Just keep sticking with it. It gets easier as your swelling goes down. I’m now able to take 2-3 small sips every 15 minutes. 2 days ago I couldn’t even get 20 oz of fluid. Keep trucking!! I’m just a stranger but I believe in you!!!

however, today I tried my first Protein Shake since sx and out of my old “chugging habit” I took a GIANT gulp. I had to sit straight up for 2 hours until it went down. So please just go at your own pace. I’ve notice you’ve struggled too, although in different ways than I have. If you need anything please DM me, as we are on the same track and will be going through the same stages at the same time. Some of us need support and if you need it, I’m here! Keep fighting, it will be worth it!

Goodluck!!

Gäbrielle

Be careful and call your doctor. I ended up in the hospital with dehydration and severe electrolyte deficiency after my sleeve surgery. Spend two days in the hospital getting IV fluids and potassium. I remember feeling so weak I couldn't sit up, could walk more than a few feet without needed to rest. I just kept chugging through it, thinking it would get better until I finally called my surgeon who sent me directly to the ER.

You may be perfectly ok, just worn out from surgery and low calorie intact, but don't just assume everything is going to be fine. Call your surgeon and let them decide.

I'm a little over 3 years out from the sleeve. I remember my surgeon, nutritionist, and primary care all telling me to focus on hydration first. Keep a water bottle with you all the time and just take small sips every chance you get. Then focus on the Protein. You will be ok.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:40 PM, BayouTiger said:

Mischa, you and I are surgery buddies. I was sleeved the same day you were. I want to reiterate what Jaelzion said. Until yesterday I could not get more than 38 ounces of Fluid and 20 grams of Protein. I called my program and spoke to my nutritionist and she told me to aim for 50oz Water, mix it with some Gatorade zero or some kind of supplement with electrolytes and just fight it out until . I have, by the grace of God been able to avoid needing IV fluids; but these last 2 days have been hard on my actual body. I was getting 5000 steps a day (their goal for me til week 4) and today I couldn’t get out of bed. The weakness has been overwhelming today!!! Just keep sticking with it. It gets easier as your swelling goes down. I’m now able to take 2-3 small sips every 15 minutes. 2 days ago I couldn’t even get 20 oz of Fluid. Keep trucking!! I’m just a stranger but I believe in you!!!

however, today I tried my first Protein Shake since sx and out of my old “chugging habit” I took a GIANT gulp. I had to sit straight up for 2 hours until it went down. So please just go at your own pace. I’ve notice you’ve struggled too, although in different ways than I have. If you need anything please DM me, as we are on the same track and will be going through the same stages at the same time. Some of us need support and if you need it, I’m here! Keep fighting, it will be worth it!

Goodluck!!

Gäbrielle

Oh god yes, I feel your pain...I had to giggle....I have done it so many times.....lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Neensyb said:

Oh god yes, I feel your pain...I had to giggle....I have done it so many times.....lesson learned.

It was my first time, and it was an immediate “ohhh nooooooooo!!” When I tell you I thought it was going to come through my nose if I breathed, I am not kidding. Honestly of all the binging and shoveling I’ve done throughout my life, double hamburger, large cheese fry, large Diet Coke in a sitting (and like 15 minutes 😬)... that was the most miserably full I have ever been. I guess our old habits die hard lol. Now I’m terrified to start the puréed stage.

15 hours ago, BayouTiger said:

It was my first time, and it was an immediate “ohhh nooooooooo!!” When I tell you I thought it was going to come through my nose if I breathed, I am not kidding. Honestly of all the binging and shoveling I’ve done throughout my life, double hamburger, large cheese fry, large Diet Coke in a sitting (and like 15 minutes 😬)... that was the most miserably full I have ever been. I guess our old habits die hard lol. Now I’m terrified to start the puréed stage.

Don't be, just take it super slow. When I went to puree it was really runny pumpkin Soup that I started with. I ate with a teaspoon and let it just sit in my mouth before I swallowed. Sounds gross, but I am super paranoid about feeling nauseas and vomiting so it worked for me.

I am 7 weeks P/O and I'm just starting to experiment a little more with textures. I have worked out that meat really isn't a good option just yet, aside from fall apart chicken if it's been in the pressure cooker. I get my Protein from tasteless Protein Powder, yoghurt and eggs. I know I'll never ever be able to have a lifestyle like before which suits me fine.

One surprise is that my tummy copes really well with rice wafers, those little snack crackers that are slightly salty. Crunch crunch then they go all soggy and they are a good filler.