Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drinks after 6 months PO

Is everyone still drinking Protein Drinks after 6 months post op? I am not sure if we are supposed to keep drinking them, or just get Protein from our food now. If you are still doing the drinks, have you switched things up? If so, what did you do differently?

Hopefully by 6 months out we're not living on them, but Protein Shakes can still be useful. They are good when you're short on time or on-the-go. Or when you're far from your Protein goal but not really hungry enough to eat meat, cheese, yogurt, etc. To switch it up, I add a dash of Jordan's Skinny syrups to my Evolve protein shakes and warm them up. They're plant-based, so they don't curdle or thicken from being heated. Sometimes I'll sprinkle nutmeg on top. It's like a sweet, flavored latte but without the coffee. One of my favorite winter treats.

47 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

Hopefully by 6 months out we're not living on them, but Protein Shakes can still be useful. They are good when you're short on time or on-the-go. Or when you're far from your Protein goal but not really hungry enough to eat meat, cheese, yogurt, etc. To switch it up, I add a dash of Jordan's Skinny syrups to my Evolve Protein shakes and warm them up. They're plant-based, so they don't curdle or thicken from being heated. Sometimes I'll sprinkle nutmeg on top. It's like a sweet, flavored latte but without the coffee. One of my favorite winter treats.

Skinny Syrup? I never thought of adding that to a Protein Shake. Thanks for the tip.

41 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Skinny Syrup? I never thought of adding that to a Protein Shake. Thanks for the tip.

It's delicious and it helps to provide variety. 👍

we were allowed to give them up once we were able to get all of our Protein needs met through food. By six months out, I suspect most people are off them. I still drink one a day at almost six years out, though. 1) For one thing, my protein requirements are much higher than those of an average WLS patient - 100+ grams for me. I CAN get up that high through food, but it takes thought and effort. By having a Protein Shake as my morning snack, I can pretty much guarantee I'll hit 100 grams by the end of the day. 2) for me, it's a vehicle for my daily shot of Miralax 3). I like them! I come up with all kinds of concoctions. I'll make fancy lattes out of them - or different kinds of shakes (I had a mint shake this morning - made with unsweetened almond milk, vanilla Protein Powder, peppermint extract, green food coloring, a little vanilla, and some ice - whirled around in the blender). I'll also make pumpkin shakes (with a scoop of canned pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spices), or add some kind of sugar free Syrup to them. Or chocolate ones with a couple tablespoons of powdered Peanut Butter (like PB Fit). I made a couple of eggnog flavored ones for the holidays. I've been at this for awhile, though - and pick up or think up different ideas. You can always check something like pinterest for some ideas...

I'm 7 months out and I still use Protein shakes/powder. I get most of my protein from food, but I usually have half a scoop of protein powder or 2-3 ounces of ready-to-drink Protein Shake every day. Sometimes I mix it into food (like yogurt or protein oatmeal), but my favorite thing to do is mix it with Crio Bru (brewed cacao beans), some almond milk, and sugar-free flavored syrups for a flavored hot cocoa with 10 grams of protein. (A lot of people like to do the same thing with coffee, but I don't like coffee.)

1 hour ago, jpeits52 said:

I have never heard of Peanut Butter Protein Powder. That sounds really cool. I still use the Premier High Protein Shakes 30Gms in 11 oz 160 calories. I am nearly 2 years out.

some companies do make peanut butter-flavored Protein powder, but I was actually referring to Peanut Butter powder - which is just dehydrated peanut butter. They take the oil out and it's just a powder. You can add it things. PB Fit is one brand - PB2 is another. I've seen some house brands, too. It's good in chocolate Protein Shakes.

Syntrax Matrix has a peanut butter protein powder (it's great!) - but the Matrix line isn't whey protein isolate - I think it's a blend. (their nectar line IS whey protein isolate)

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

we were allowed to give them up once we were able to get all of our Protein needs met through food. By six months out, I suspect most people are off them. I still drink one a day at almost six years out, though. 1) For one thing, my Protein requirements are much higher than those of an average WLS patient - 100+ grams for me. I CAN get up that high through food, but it takes thought and effort. By having a Protein Shake as my morning snack, I can pretty much guarantee I'll hit 100 grams by the end of the day. 2) for me, it's a vehicle for my daily shot of Miralax 3). I like them! I come up with all kinds of concoctions. I'll make fancy lattes out of them - or different kinds of shakes (I had a mint shake this morning - made with unsweetened almond milk, vanilla Protein Powder, peppermint extract, green food coloring, a little vanilla, and some ice - whirled around in the blender). I'll also make pumpkin shakes (with a scoop of canned pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spices), or add some kind of sugar free Syrup to them. Or chocolate ones with a couple tablespoons of powdered Peanut Butter (like PB Fit). I made a couple of eggnog flavored ones for the holidays. I've been at this for awhile, though - and pick up or think up different ideas. You can always check something like pinterest for some ideas...

Wow thanks for those great ideas. I can never think of anything different.

4 hours ago, jpeits52 said:

I have never heard of Peanut Butter Protein Powder. That sounds really cool. I still use the Premier High Protein Shakes 30Gms in 11 oz 160 calories. I am nearly 2 years out.

Do you use them in place of a meal?

3 hours ago, BigSue said:

I'm 7 months out and I still use Protein shakes/powder. I get most of my Protein from food, but I usually have half a scoop of Protein Powder or 2-3 ounces of ready-to-drink Protein Shake every day. Sometimes I mix it into food (like yogurt or protein oatmeal), but my favorite thing to do is mix it with Crio Bru (brewed cacao beans), some almond milk, and sugar-free flavored syrups for a flavored hot cocoa with 10 grams of protein. (A lot of people like to do the same thing with coffee, but I don't like coffee.)

Good idea with the hot cocoa, I don't drink coffee either.

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

some companies do make peanut butter-flavored Protein Powder, but I was actually referring to Peanut Butter powder - which is just dehydrated Peanut Butter. They take the oil out and it's just a powder. You can add it things. PB Fit is one brand - PB2 is another. I've seen some house brands, too. It's good in chocolate Protein Shakes.

Syntrax Matrix has a peanut butter Protein powder (it's great!) - but the Matrix line isn't whey Protein isolate - I think it's a blend. (their nectar line IS whey protein isolate)

I tried the PB2, and thought it was awful. I only tried it a few times toward the beginning of my post op. Maybe I will try it again.

I use the chocolate Premier Protein shake to make a daily smoothie with frozen fruit (banana, blueberries & strawberries) and ice. It tastes great, has 30 grams of Protein and is much cheaper than buying a smoothie at the chain stores! I've been doing that since my sleeve surgery in 2014, and plan to continue.

Shouldn't be your primary source of protein... but my nutritionist likes me to supplement with them or another Protein supplement and I am 18 months out. Check with your surgeon or nutritionist though... they may prefer you follow a different plan