Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Months, 50lbs, Image issues?

Just have to be excited somewhere!! 50lbs down from December 10th when I started my 5 day pre-op liquid diet.

Having a hard time though. I can't really see a big difference in the mirror. I still feel just as big and discouraged as before. Mainly because I am still the same pants size. My light denim jeans are falling off of me and definitely need to be sized down. But the dark wash jeans, still fit! Same size and everything. If I am a touch bloated, they are too tight even. How does that work? I was hoping at 50lbs gone all of my pants would be huge. Stinking dark wash jeans are really kicking my mood!

Are the dark jeans super-stretchy? I was able to wear my old leggings for almost two years because they just contracted to my new size. I am just now starting to replace them.

6 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

Are the dark jeans super-stretchy? I was able to wear my old leggings for almost two years because they just contracted to my new size. I am just now starting to replace them.

No, they are hardly stretchy. I mean, in December they where uncomfortable to sit in because they dug into my gut and now I can sit in them. But at 50lbs down I definitely expected they would have fallen off and had to be replaced vs just feeling comfortable now (unless bloated).

I fully expect leggings to fit for forever! Lol

9 minutes ago, CapK said:

No, they are hardly stretchy. I mean, in December they where uncomfortable to sit in because they dug into my gut and now I can sit in them. But at 50lbs down I definitely expected they would have fallen off and had to be replaced vs just feeling comfortable now (unless bloated).

I fully expect leggings to fit for forever! Lol

Oh, I see, LOL. 😁Well if they were tight before and they fit now then at least you know you're significantly smaller! My leggings had started to gap in an unattractive way, so I finally had to replace them, LOL. I'm sure you will "undergrow" ("ingrow"? Whatever is opposite of "outgrow", LOL) your jeans soon.

Edited by Jaelzion

I wore the same size jeans (26) through 110 pounds of weight loss (I have to admit they were a bit too small at my highest weight -- I had to wear them around the house for a few hours to re-stretch them every time I washed them -- but I couldn't stand to go up another size). I had to wear a belt to hold them up toward the end of that, but I had the same frustration that I had lost so much weight but was pretty much the same size. After that, though, I started to blow through sizes really quickly. Now I'm wearing size 14 and I need a belt.

I've lost 100 lbs total since highest weight and can still wear my 26 jeans which were tight when at my highest. they are now loose at the waist but I have big legs so they are fine there. I also can't really go to a store and try things on right now due to the pandemic so just holding tight.

2 hours ago, BigSue said:

I wore the same size jeans (26) through 110 pounds of weight loss (I have to admit they were a bit too small at my highest weight -- I had to wear them around the house for a few hours to re-stretch them every time I washed them -- but I couldn't stand to go up another size)

1 hour ago, ecugsplgrl said:

I've lost 100 lbs total since highest weight and can still wear my 26 jeans which were tight when at my highest.

Thanks for the encouragement off knowing I am not alone with my jeans seemingly fitting forever! But I think I will seriously cry if these even remotely fit at 100 lbs down.

It does definately help to hear though! ❤️

I bet you are just losing form places that are not as obvious like your calves or arms. Have you taken any measurements? I would do that. You calf at the widest part, middle of your upper arm, mid thigh, waist and chest. I would bet you suddenly will start seeing the weight loss in obvious place soon.

Hang in there.

Just now, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I bet you are just losing form places that are not as obvious like your calves or arms. Have you taken any measurements? I would do that. You calf at the widest part, middle of your upper arm, mid thigh, waist and chest. I would bet you suddenly will start seeing the weight loss in obvious place soon.

Hang in there.

I had to pack up part of my house for selling it and seem to have misplaced my measuring tape. December 10 - January 31st (last time I measured) I lost 25 inches, but you're right... Most of them aren't from the gut which is the most noticeable place to me. I know that's a big number, I just can't seem to see it myself and my pants shouldn't be the way I am judging my failure/success.

There is a lot of really unhealthy fat that sits around our organs, its not visable but it plays havoc with our health and wellbeing. I imagine if you had a DEXA scan before surgery and now, you would see a significant reduction in that unhealthy fat. It won't be long before the visable fat reduction is going to be noticable!

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

I think it takes a lot more weight loss when you are bigger to drop a size than when you’re smaller because you’re carrying so much weight all over. You’ll soon be dropping sizes quickly & then you’ll be thinking but I just bought this & it’s too big now. Believe me it does happen.

But as you said those dark wash jeans were tight 50lbs ago & now they’re not. That’s a win.

I lived in leggings, same X-Large size, from my highest weight until now. It was only when I went through my closet that I realized the size 18, 16 and 14s pants/jeans were falling off. So I bit the bullet and went to the mall to buy new jeans. Tried on the next reasonable size 12, and it was too big. Settled into a 10, which stretches out with wear and needs a belt, but I am happy to say that the weight loss did eventually end up in smaller size jeans!

Don't be discouraged by clothes size. You will hit a point where it seems like you are dropping a size every week. But everyone losses weight differently. And if you're like me, I carried a lot of my weight in my gut area. Be excited about loosing 50 lbs.! Congratulations and keep doing what you're doing - it obviously is working!

I lost 75 lbs. I have always carried most of my weight in my belly. I am top heavy, and always had small legs, and ass. My belly still sticks way out, and now my legs are even skinnier, and I have no ass at all. I have lost weight in weird places. My neck area looks weird because you can see my bones, also in my back, and shoulder area. But guess what.....I still have a big belly. I hope it goes away soon. I have to wear larger pants just for my belly, and then they are big everywhere else. People lose differently. All we can do is just wait to see what happens. When I look in the mirror straight on, I think I look ok, but when I turn to the side, UGGGHHHH.

if you don't already, have someone take photos of you from all four sides once a month (I had my husband do it on my surgery date - the 3rd of each month - until I hit maintenance). During those early months when you're not noticing much of a change (even though you're losing a ton of weight), you can see it in by comparing the pictures. Not always month-to-month, but I could definitely tell by comparing a picture to one that was taken three or four months earlier.

and the other posters are right - when you're bigger, you don't blow through sizes as fast. Now that I'm in maintenance, gaining or losing 10 lbs puts me in a different size. It was 50 or more lbs when I started my journey...(as others said, probably due to wearing stretchier clothes back then...)

Heh, I had the same feeling in the beginning. I was my 'usual' 48-50" waist and (US 4XL/Euro 6XL) shirt size for pretty much the first 60 lbs. Sure, it fit better, but still. My gut was still there. Smaller in measurements, but I basically just went from open shirt to closed shirt after 20 lbs and then nothing for the next 40lbs.

The following 30 lbs have been really dramatic, both in terms of clothes sizes and people noticing.

I'm down to Euro 2XL shirts and 38" waist pants. So that's 4 shirt sizes and 5-6 pant sizes, and it all happened from -60lbs to -90lbs.

Oh, and since we're bragging: my new running gear is XL. Don't worry, I wear shorts over the pants :D

Edited by Guest