Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

65 yr olds with bypass

Hello,

I am looking to connect with 65+ yr olds who have the bypass, both newly done and "old hands". Looking for all kinds of info before I commit to lapland to bypass conversion. Thanks!

Hello

In not 65, I'm almost 62 though. I'm three years post op.

Hi there. I was 65 when I had the RNY bypass. This April 28 I will be four years out and in September I turn 70. I am 4ft 11” tall and weighed 248.9 when I had the surgery. I wore a very tight and uncomfortable size 22. I suffered from asthma and needed a Cpap machine. I lost one half of myself. At 124 and between a size 4 or 6 depending on how its made, I have enjoyed many shopping trips to replace my wardrobe. I remember standing in front of a full length mirror in size 16 jeans and staring at my reflection with tears running down my face for at least fifteen minutes. I couldnt believe the difference. I didnt know the person I was looking at. While that was important the very best that happened was that my asthma is gone. Totally gone and I dont need to hook up to the cpap machine any more either. I have crazy energy. I opened a store at the end of 2019 and went to Legoland with my daughter and grandchildren and kept up with them and fit in the roller coaster seat with the bar all the way down. I feel better gaining on 70 than I did at 45. My only regret is that I didnt do it sooner. I missed so much before surgery.

Here is my advice to you. Read everything you can. Get out of bed after surgery and walk the gas out which moves the pain out. Follow the diet you get from the nutritionist. Go into this with a very positive attitude and let life fill your heart and soul. Enjoy every day of your life and keep a diary with honest statements of what you are seeing and feeling. It will get you thru when you finally realize that person staring back in the mirror is really you. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. You have done wonderfully! Your advice is dead on - same as I did with my ever increasing faulty lapband. I did manage to lose over 100 lbs. though through pure grit and determination but now it MUST come out.

I am 62 and just had bypass surgery Feb 2. I am a stickler for following the Dr’s orders and am doing quite well. I can only walk for 20 minutes because I am still heavy, but I add in 35 minutes on the bike. My biggest mistake is taking bites that are to big but my gut is quick to remind me. I am eating healthy and feel great.

I am 68 y.o., had Gastric Bypass 06/19. Lost 80lbs in approx 6 months. Didn’t exercise much. But felt so much more energy. My personal goal was to be able to get down on the floor (AND get up without help) so I could play with my grandchildren. AND to be healthy!!!! I had Arthritis, sleep Apnea, hypothyroidism. Now approaching 2 years post-op, I have gained 7 lbs which I swore to myself I would NEVER do. Getting depressed thinking the bypass is not working, etc. Happened to come across a book on Amazon written by 2 Dieticians who work with WLS pets.
The Complete Guide to Weight Loss Surgery, your questions finally answered by Kaouk and Bashaw. It has helped bring me back to basics. As in slowing down to eat, chew slowly, do not drink while eating, eat Protein first. Have been very stressed over this 7 lbs. My main issue has always been night time eating. Now I am excited to gain back control over my life once again. So glad to see other people who had their WLS at my age. We can do this!!!!

I am only 62 but have been really happy with the results of my bypass. However... that said, I didn't realize that I would end up with so much wrinkled skin. I've been reading the forums for two years and haven't seen any other mentions of this outcome for older people. Without clothes, I look about 75. My dermatologist said that there's nothing that can be done -- I should just keep covered up. I'm probably an aberration since this isn't ever mentioned by posters and my surgeon said nothing about it.

I am 68 and am right there with you. Short of spending many thousands on plastic surgery, I get to live with the extra skin. A small price to pay for health. 😀😀

I am 64 and am in the process of converting from a Lap Band (10-28-08) to a Bypass. The Lap Band was removed the middle of August, the Bypass has now been scheduled for March 9, 2021. Nervous and excited. I lost 160 pounds with the Lap Band, but then started to have issues. I had some Fluid removed, but the Band still made it so I couldn't eat vegetables or fruit. Yes, I learned to eat around it!

New chapter starts 3-9-21

Hello, I am 65 will be post op 3 yrs April 2021 So you had the lap band and having a do over with the sleeve? I had the sleeve and did lose 100 lbs but have been stuck and I am thinking I may have stretched my stomach and I am thinking of asking for a do over and go with the lap band, which is what I wanted in the first place but because I was like 370 lbs it was suggested the sleeve would be best.
I see my Bariatric doctor this week and my weight has gone up a bit since I saw her 6 months ago.
One main problems is I don’t have a regular schedule. I’m retired, live with 2 cats. I can wake up at 10AM have coffee and really not hungry but when I do eat (between 8PM-midnight) I want a little of this and that. So days/evenings I forget I hadn’t eaten, So yeah I don’t have a set schedule to sleep, get up, have Breakfast, lunch, dinner. So maybe we can help each other out.... yes we can do this!!!!

I am also retired 68 yo. June 3rd will mark 2 yrs Roux en Y. I have noticed that I tend to graze more so in the evening. I had gotten away from taking my time (20-30 min) to eat, not drinking while I am eating, and waiting 20 minutes after eating before I drink again. I also have coffee in the AM, but my husband & I are both big on having that first meal of the day. There is a reason it is called breakfast as in break the fast. 😀😀 For me, it sets the trend to get on schedule.
I also have returned to using the Baritastic app. If I write it down, it helps me be accountable to myself. I am open to any other suggestions.

I'm 68 and had revision from a 1984 surgery, VBG, to R&Y on February 15th this year. I've lost 55 pounds. food doesn't taste right but many say that will improve with time. Right now it helps with the weight loss because I only eat for nourishment.

I've had no complications other than food tasting different but that's pretty much par for the course.

Edited by OldVol74

food tastes lousy to me too. Maybe not all of it but most of it. I had surgery Feb 2, 2021 and I am having an issue with meat. I can only have a few tiny bites and it gets suck very easily. I chew the heck out of it. It is frustrating.

Pkump, get some Papaya enzymes. Everyone on my surgeons FB page swears by them. I won’t know until End of April after my reversion. They help produce more saliva and digestive juices. They also say get up and walk.