Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rice, Pasta, Bread, etc

So I am now close to being 6 months post op. My doc told me not to eat rice, Pasta, bread, etc. I was told that these things can stretch out your pouch? My nutritionist, on the other hand said I could try whole wheat pita bread. She also agreed with the doc, and told me not to eat rice, or pasta. I am craving pasta so bad! I was a big pasta eater before the surgery, having it at least 2-3 times a week. Did anyone eat pasta, or rice at this point? If so, how was it on your belly?

I can't do ANY white bread, it makes me sick. I have done whole wheat bread, Protein Pasta, chickpea and cauliflower pasta occasionally with no issues. Also, wheat tortillas for wraps.

I don't eat bread at all. Mostly because the one time I had low carb bread I dumped and I haven't wanted to even so much as attempt it again... I don't eat regular rice at all either. I substitute with cauliflower rice. Regular rice swells and I don't want to chance stretching my pouch out so I only eat the cauliflower rice. As for pasta... I only eat veggie Pasta noodles. Chickpea is my favorite to use, but I've used lentil and zucchini as well. Mostly because pasta is useless carbs and at least if you use veggie pasta you're choosing a healthier option that's not quite as useless and fits in a pasta craving. I rarely eat pasta though. Maybe once every two weeks or so? I DO have some chickpea noodles and alfredo sauce currently in my pantry... I just haven't done anything with them yet, though maybe I'll have that tonight for dinner. It's an idea...

1 hour ago, ecugsplgrl said:

I can't do ANY white bread, it makes me sick. I have done whole wheat bread, Protein Pasta, chickpea and cauliflower Pasta occasionally with no issues. Also, wheat tortillas for wraps.

I have never even heard of chickpea and cauliflower pasta? I will have to look for it at the store.

15 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I don't eat bread at all. Mostly because the one time I had low carb bread I dumped and I haven't wanted to even so much as attempt it again... I don't eat regular rice at all either. I substitute with cauliflower rice. Regular rice swells and I don't want to chance stretching my pouch out so I only eat the cauliflower rice. As for pasta... I only eat veggie Pasta noodles. Chickpea is my favorite to use, but I've used lentil and zucchini as well. Mostly because Pasta is useless carbs and at least if you use veggie pasta you're choosing a healthier option that's not quite as useless and fits in a pasta craving. I rarely eat pasta though. Maybe once every two weeks or so? I DO have some chickpea noodles and alfredo sauce currently in my pantry... I just haven't done anything with them yet, though maybe I'll have that tonight for dinner. It's an idea...

Does the veggie pasta, etc hold up to regular pasta?

10 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Does the veggie Pasta, etc hold up to regular pasta?

It tastes no different to me. Though I'm probably not the most reliable to ask lol as my taste buds changed after surgery. However, at christmas, to go with the ham she made, my mom made macaroni both with the regular pasta for everyone and then she made macaroni with my chickpea pasta in a separate dish so that I could eat some. My brother in law got some of my pasta on accident and he said he couldn't tell the difference from the regular pasta noodles verses chickpea noodles. My niece was curious and tried it and said it tasted the same to her too. So, personally, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference. It just comes in 8oz packages verses the 12-16 you normally see for regular pasta noodles. Considering the fact that your stomach is smaller though the 8oz is a perfect amount. And left overs last for DAYS for me...

Edited by NovaLuna

4 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

It tastes no different to me. Though I'm probably not the most reliable to ask lol as my taste buds changed after surgery. However, at christmas, to go with the ham she made, my mom made macaroni both with the regular Pasta for everyone and then she made macaroni with my chickpea pasta in a separate dish so that I could eat some. My brother in law got some of my pasta on accident and he said he couldn't tell the difference from the regular pasta noodles verses chickpea noodles. My niece was curious and tried it and said it tasted the same to her too. So, personally, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference. It just comes in 8oz packages verses the 12-16 you normally see for regular pasta noodles. Considering the fact that your stomach is smaller though the 8oz is a perfect amount. And left overs last for DAYS for me...

Thank you for this idea. My local supermarket doesn't have stuff like this. I will have to search for somewhere that has it. I love chickpeas so I would love to try that one first.

I was told by my nutritionist to check out the Great Low Carb bread Co. Wow am I glad I did! They make it all-breads, pastas, rice...whatever you want. There's no risk of dumping or weight gain. Just stick with a serving and you'll be good. It's all about portion-control when it comes to anything with our new lifestyle. I was sharing in another post on here that the other night, I mastered the art of "bariatric friendly mac and cheese" and tbh I couldn't be happier. :)

In addition to that company, there's a whole slew of low carb and carb-free brands of pastas, breads, etc to try. I've tried several and while pricey, they're definitely worth it if you need that occasional "pasta fix."

FYI if you're wondering about sauce, Ragu and Prego both make no sugar added sauces that are quite good!

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, kc892020 said:

I was told by my nutritionist to check out the Great Low Carb bread Co. Wow am I glad I did! They make it all-breads, pastas, rice...whatever you want. There's no risk of dumping or weight gain. Just stick with a serving and you'll be good. It's all about portion-control when it comes to anything with our new lifestyle. I was sharing in another post on here that the other night, I mastered the art of "bariatric friendly mac and cheese" and tbh I couldn't be happier. :)

In addition to that company, there's a whole slew of low carb and carb-free brands of pastas, breads, etc to try. I've tried several and while pricey, they're definitely worth it if you need that occasional "pasta fix."

FYI if you're wondering about sauce, Ragu and Prego both make no sugar added sauces that are quite good!

Good luck!

TY for theses ideas. I will have to check it out. I will also look for the no sugar sauce.

Shirataki noodles

2 minutes ago, Maisey said:

Shirataki noodles

Never heard of it. What is it?

1 minute ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Never heard of it. What is it?

Just looked it up, and it has virtually no Protein at all. I only eat stuff with protein. Thanks anyways.

1 hour ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Thank you for this idea. My local supermarket doesn't have stuff like this. I will have to search for somewhere that has it. I love chickpeas so I would love to try that one first.

Almost positive that your local supermarkets do have them. They're not in a separate section. The chickpea and lentil noodles are in the same section with regular noodles and I've bought them at Walmart, Safeway, and Savemart.

My stomach will only let me eat about a forkful of Pasta or rice

you can buy the pastas on Amazon