Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and feeling scared about the future

Hello everyone,

I am now 5 days post op. Thankfully, I have not had any complications and am able to drink liquids with no issues so far. I have been giving things a lot of thoughts and although all is going well now, I fear of complications in the long term. It seems from posts I read on FB groups that almost everyone will have a revision surgery due to acid reflux. I've also read of other complications such as leaks years post op or stomach blockages. I did my research before surgery, but now that I actually went ahead and had surgery, I feel like I'm gonna be on edge knowing that something bad due to VSG can happen down the line. Anyone here years post op with no major issues? I just need some re-assurance all will be ok. 😣

Well, I'm only two years post-op, but I haven't had any complications so far. I haven't developed GERD, haven't had a stricture or anything like that. Complications happen but I think you are overestimating how likely they are. A lot of people have the surgery, lose their weight and go on about their lives! Feel better, I know those first days pre-op can be rough. Hugs. 🤗

Congrats on your surgery. I’m glad you’re doing well.

I don’t know what it is about FB groups but from what people say they seem to have a lot of negativity, worst case scenarios & not always sensible advice. Such a shame.

I’m not quite 2 years out & I had stress & diet induced reflux/gerd before my sleeve surgery but it was pretty mild. Do I have it now? Yes, but it’s different & manageable. I was experiencing burning in my throat at night. My doctor advised not me to eat Protein, Liquid Protein excluded, 2 hours before bed. And it worked. No more burning.

Are there people who’ve had revision surgery because of gerd, yes. But there are also people who haven’t. There’s no guarantee how your body will react to your surgery in the short or long term. There’s certainly no guarantee you will need a revision. Just like there’s no certainty you will develop gall stones & need your gall bladder removed, also a possible side effect. It doesn’t happen to everyone either. Honestly, I have a few issues post surgery (low blood pressure, occasional hyperglycaemia) but my three friends who’ve had the surgery too have had no issues at all.

As with all things, it’s sensible to be aware of all possibilities but also not to expect they will all happen to you.

Good luck in your journey. So happy I did it.

I'd stay away from FB groups - there are a lot of toxic ones out there, from what I hear. I've never bothered with them - there are much better sites for information, like this one.

complications aren't all that common. And most people do NOT have revisions (some do because of severe GERD, but they're in the minority. The majority of VSG patients don't develop GERD, and for those who do, a lot of cases can be managed through medication. Leaks and stomach blockages are pretty rare. You're probably hearing about this because people who have complications are more likely to post about them than are people who've never had any. They're looking for support or advice. People who are two or five or ten years out who've never had any issues would have no reason to post about them.

You're probably hearing about this because people who have complications are more likely to post about them than are people who've never had any.

^^THIS^^

You're probably hearing about this because people who have complications are more likely to post about them than are people who've never had any.
^^THIS^^

I was about to say the same thing!

The head games begin!

I’m only about 5 weeks out and honestly the only real side effect I’ve experienced is the occasional vomiting from eating something too quickly or something that just didn’t sit right. I remember how miserable I was 5 days out it does get better I promise!!

I am only 28 days out and I have had none of the issues. I am learning what being empty feels like and have lost 59 Lbs so far. All the negative issues are mostly drama. Yeah some may have issue but most of us do not.

Edited by tb03830

Since nobody else has, here's a study I found: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5406732/

I don't love the study, it's only 156 patients and boy do they have some large error bars on some of the numbers, but it should still give you a rough idea of what the reality is. In this study, the incidence of staple line leakage was 1.2% (2 patients), the incidence of staple hemorrhage was 0.6% (1 patient), incidence of GERD was 15.3% (24 patients), hiatal hernia requiring surgical repair was 0.6% (1 patient), and conversion to a gastric bypass was 0.6% (1 patient).

If my doctor will give me his stats I will post them here but they are nothing like this. Maybe 2017 was a bad year?