Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have difficulty eating out. I refuse to eat anything McDonald's so when my kids get that, I just skip. I have been able to figure out kids menu items for firehouse subs and subway. Chickfila I can manage with fruit cup and grilled chicken. Also, Mexican is my fallback, Chipotle and Moe's I just have kid's meals with Protein and veggies. Luckily I have 4 kids so I can get by with ordering a kid's meal for me and adult meal for my 13 year old. Any other suggestions, we truly don't eat out much, I just don't want to make bad choices when I'm hungry and be miserable. Does anyone do burgers without bun?

I am almost 6 months out, and the only thing I have had that we haven't made at home is a small cheese pizza. I could only eat 1 pc. Then for Valentine's day, we ordered Chinese, and all I ate was some chicken and broccoli. As far as burgers go, we make ours at home, and I eat it without the bun. I wrap it in lettuce leaves with sliced tomatoes. I am craving Chick Fila. I used to eat the nuggets there until I found out they are fried.

At chickfila I usually get the kids grilled nuggets meal with fruit cup and diet lemonade. or a grilled chicken sandwich and eat it for at least 2 meals.

at McDonald's I get Egg McMuffins - but I probably didn't do those until I was about a year out. (I really didn't eat bread until I was that far out)

at Mexican places - the "innards" of tacos work. Or a fajita (but just the meat and veggies - and only a cup or so of them - or less depending on how far along you are)

subs - you could just eat the "innards" of those, too.

Chinese - order something with non-fried meat and veggies, only eat about a cup of it (or less - again depending on how far along you are), and of course, skip the rice

at nicer restaurants, they often have shrimp cocktail as an appetizer - that works. Or Soup or chili

speaking of chili, a lot of WLS patients like Wendy's chili (I don't - but if you like it, that works). Panera Bread carries turkey chili in the winter, and it's pretty great

45 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

at McDonald's I get Egg McMuffins - but I probably didn't do those until I was about a year out. (I really didn't eat bread until I was that far out)

at Mexican places - the "innards" of tacos work. Or a fajita (but just the meat and veggies - and only a cup or so of them - or less depending on how far along you are)

subs - you could just eat the "innards" of those, too.

Chinese - order something with non-fried meat and veggies, only eat about a cup of it (or less - again depending on how far along you are), and of course, skip the rice

at nicer restaurants, they often have shrimp cocktail as an appetizer - that works. Or Soup or chili

speaking of chili, a lot of WLS patients like Wendy's chili (I don't - but if you like it, that works). Panera bread carries turkey chili in the winter, and it's pretty great

Thanks for the suggestions. I love Wendy's chili but didn't even think of that. I would love to try Panera's also.

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I went to a Mexican place a while back and got a tostada. I just ate the toppings and left the tortilla.

A lot of restaurants have started paying attention to the Keto community, which is great because it means they have low-carb options. Jimmy John's has lettuce-wrap subs. Five Guys will serve a bunless burger (either as a lettuce wrap or in a bowl). Chipotle has cauliflower rice. Most chains have salads. Most sit-down restaurants have meat + sides meals (chicken breast, pork chop, steak, etc.) and will be happy to substitute any high-carb sides (rice/potatoes/bread) with veggies. You should be careful about sauces and dressings, though (get them on the side if possible, and ask for light dressing on a salad), because they can be loaded with sugar and/or fat.