Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues with chewable multivitamins

First of all, they are nasty!!! Secondly, i was sleeved on 1/29, and have had zero issues with being sick or vomitting or even gagging. Today I took the dreaded chewable Multivitamin and immediately started gagging with dry heaves and spit.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone else have a better idea than these chewables that taste so horrible.

This is bad to hear because I got mine a week ago and they have me taking the pills which are huge. Well the Calcium pills are. I was going to try the chewy ones but I currently use an online pharmacy that gives me the medicine in 3 month advance.

image-0.01609325408935547.jpg

Disregard the Iron. I only get the Calcium and multi

I’ve had no issues, no throw up or anything only today felt lightheaded

I've been taking chewable vitamins and Calcium since the day after my surgery in December. I've had no issues at all. It doesn't matter if I take them on an empty stomach or with food. They don't taste great, but they're not that bad.

2 hours ago, FINFAN3DP said:

First of all, they are nasty!!! Secondly, i was sleeved on 1/29, and have had zero issues with being sick or vomitting or even gagging. Today I took the dreaded chewable Multivitamin and immediately started gagging with dry heaves and spit.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone else have a better idea than these chewables that taste so horrible.

I had chewables for all my supplements in the beginning (not the Gummy kind, more the texture of those Kids' Flintstones vites) and it made me gag too, so those got tossed and I just did the pill/tablets. I had trouble with my Calcium tablet though, I would get nauseous if I took it on an empty stomach, so I buried it in a spoonful of yogurt each time. Then I discovered these. They taste like little chocolate caramels. They are 17 cals each though, but totally worth it. I took 2 a day back when I was still taking supplements.

37938525_ScreenShot2021-02-16at12_27_09PM.png.4266e19b63ebb24bb688e4e534fb6785.png

Edited by ms.sss

I took BariMelts for the first couple of months after surgery, and they’re not bad. Better than the chewables I tried. They dissolve in your mouth, so you don’t even have to chew them (I liked to sip Water to make them dissolve faster). They’re pricey, though, so I switched to capsules once I was allowed.

8 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Then I discovered these. They taste like little chocolate caramels. They are 17 cals each though, but totally worth it. I took 2 a day back when I was still taking supplements.

37938525_ScreenShot2021-02-16at12_27_09PM.png.4266e19b63ebb24bb688e4e534fb6785.png

I love Calcium chews! I haven’t seen this brand, but I love the BariatricPal brand French vanilla caramel and Belgian chocolate caramel. I actually enjoy taking them — they’re like candy! I wasn’t sure if they were ok to take in the first 6 weeks, so I took Barimelts for calcium until then.

OK, I feel really dumb. Bottle says right on it, "TAKE WITH FOOD"... and me, the big dummy, didn't take it with food, just swigged some gatorade to wash it down. It is the worst I have felt so far though. Everything else hasn't been bad. Tonight for dinner I had "Chicken Parm". The reason I put it in quotes was it was actually 1 ounce of ground chicken with some marinara, and some provolone. It was DELICIOUS! :)

Update. food makes no difference, so I just stopped taking them. I will try again in a few weeks.

Many companies offer free samples. You can definitely get them from Bariatric Advantage and Pro Care Health. Celebrate Vitamins has a $10 sample pack with a $10 coupon towards a purchase.

I decided on Pro Care calcium chews (less variety than Bariatric Advantage but prefer the taste. I wasn’t a fan of the berry Vitamin. Called back and requested a sample of the citrus which I ordered for when I can take my Iron vitamin.

Unjury has a small multi but I preferred Pro Care’s taste.

Those were the brands recommended by my Bariatric dietician. Not all Bariatric Vitamins have the same nutritional value.

Good luck!

I take the Pill version in the morning on empty Stomach and have no issues and will soon have to take the Calcium. I plan to next get the Gummy Multivitamin. Does anyone have a brand that is decent for the gummies? I am 29 days in so.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, ms.sss said:

I had chewables for all my supplements in the beginning (not the Gummy kind, more the texture of those Kids' Flintstones vites) and it made me gag too, so those got tossed and I just did the pill/tablets. I had trouble with my Calcium tablet though, I would get nauseous if I took it on an empty stomach, so I buried it in a spoonful of yogurt each time. Then I discovered these. They taste like little chocolate caramels. They are 17 cals each though, but totally worth it. I took 2 a day back when I was still taking supplements.