Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aching belly pain.

I had my sleeve done Feb 10th so I'm 4 does po. But I am feeling so down. I have such bad shooting pains in my stomach that comes, and goes. Trying to get down Protein Drinks is the worst. My stomach cramps up so bad. I am feeling so discouraged and regretting getting this done. I have tried Premier Protein Water thinking it would go down easier since it's clear,but the taste makes me sick. I'm trying to get my 64oz of water a day in but that's a far stretch. Has anyone had this issue? Does it get better because right not it's making me depressed. I just want to be able to drink something without hurting. I take sips so it's not like I'm gulping it fast. I just need some inspiration because right now I feel hopeless. I'm stressing over losing hair because I can't get my Protein drinks down. I can only get 30 grams down maybe 40 and that's a push.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems like most people have a lot of trouble meeting their Protein and fluid goals in the first week or two. I think a lot of surgeons are unrealistic about this. I was told to shoot for 60 grams of protein and 60 ounces of fluids per day, but my surgeon later told me that 40 ounces should be enough to prevent dehydration and anything over that is a bonus. Fluids are more important than protein because you could end up back in the hospital if you get dehydrated.

I tried Protein2O and hated it. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but every time I drank it, I got egg white-like precipitates in my mouth. Yuck! Have you tried Syntrax Nectar? They have a lot of fruit flavors and they're more like juice than shakes. Also, sugar-free popsicles and Jello are life-savers in the liquid stage. Once you get to the pureed stage, I think protein gets a lot easier because you can mix Protein Powder into everything you're eating.

Have you talked to your surgeon about the stomach cramps? I was prescribed hyoscyamine for stomach cramps. Mine weren't too bad, but I have heard it's worse for sleeve patients than gastric bypass. Also, the temperature of your liquids could affect this issue, so try drinking different temperatures (warm, cold, room temperature) to see what works best for you.

It is totally normal to have feelings of regret in the beginning. When I woke up from my surgery, I had bad gas pain and I thought, "Why did I do this to myself?!" The first few weeks are really hard, and it's a big adjustment to make in your life, so it's natural to wonder if you did the right thing. But things should start looking up soon, and in a couple of months, you will be able to eat much more normally and you'll start seeing the benefits of weight loss. Almost everyone who has weight loss surgery says they're glad they did it, so keep the faith and know that right now is the worst part, but you'll be past it soon.

Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems like most people have a lot of trouble meeting their Protein and fluid goals in the first week or two. I think a lot of surgeons are unrealistic about this. I was told to shoot for 60 grams of Protein and 60 ounces of fluids per day, but my surgeon later told me that 40 ounces should be enough to prevent dehydration and anything over that is a bonus. Fluids are more important than protein because you could end up back in the hospital if you get dehydrated.
I tried Protein2O and hated it. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but every time I drank it, I got egg white-like precipitates in my mouth. Yuck! Have you tried Syntrax Nectar? They have a lot of fruit flavors and they're more like juice than shakes. Also, sugar-free popsicles and Jello are life-savers in the liquid stage. Once you get to the pureed stage, I think protein gets a lot easier because you can mix Protein Powder into everything you're eating.
Have you talked to your surgeon about the stomach cramps? I was prescribed hyoscyamine for stomach cramps. Mine weren't too bad, but I have heard it's worse for sleeve patients than gastric bypass. Also, the temperature of your liquids could affect this issue, so try drinking different temperatures (warm, cold, room temperature) to see what works best for you.
It is totally normal to have feelings of regret in the beginning. When I woke up from my surgery, I had bad gas pain and I thought, "Why did I do this to myself?!" The first few weeks are really hard, and it's a big adjustment to make in your life, so it's natural to wonder if you did the right thing. But things should start looking up soon, and in a couple of months, you will be able to eat much more normally and you'll start seeing the benefits of weight loss. Almost everyone who has weight loss surgery says they're glad they did it, so keep the faith and know that right now is the worst part, but you'll be past it soon.

Thank you so much! I definitely will be keeping all this in mind. I see my Dr Thursday so I will be bringing a list of my concerns. I will continue to try and stay positive, and go day by day and hope for the best.

I had the pain, too; but it gets better day by day. Did your dr give you medicine for the spasms? Spasms are totally normal.
He gave me a steroid shot for them while I was in the hospital, but did not give me a prescription for them. I see him Thursday and will be letting him know how bad they are. They definitely cause me not to want to drink anything due to everything I sip something I get a spasm. I wonder if it's the gas still or hunger pains either way it's miserable so hopefully he can give me something Thursday to ease me into the right direction.

He gave me a steroid shot for them while I was in the hospital, but did not give me a prescription for them. I see him Thursday and will be letting him know how bad they are. They definitely cause me not to want to drink anything due to everything I sip something I get a spasm. I wonder if it's the gas still or hunger pains either way it's miserable so hopefully he can give me something Thursday to ease me into the right direction.

If we're feeling the same thing, the spasms after sipping, my dr said it was the stomach recovery. We chopped off anportion of it and sewed it, so he said it was normal. The pills he gave me are like an anti-spasm/anti-nausea pill. Which helped tremendously but honestly, today I'm on day 12, i dont feel those spasms when I eat or drink. It's a process, it's hard, but you slowly adjust as you listen to your body. The hydration was key for me above all.

If we're feeling the same thing, the spasms after sipping, my dr said it was the stomach recovery. We chopped off anportion of it and sewed it, so he said it was normal. The pills he gave me are like an anti-spasm/anti-nausea pill. Which helped tremendously but honestly, today I'm on day 12, i dont feel those spasms when I eat or drink. It's a process, it's hard, but you slowly adjust as you listen to your body. The hydration was key for me above all.
Thank you. It's making me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only 1 who has experienced this, and that something isn't wrong with me. Right now I will focus on my Fluid intake and take my Protein intake day by day and not rush it.