Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do you get your protein goal from?

I am 10 weeks post op and would appreciate any advice. My Protein goal from dietitian is 70gram per day (she calculates based on goal weight of 70kg) I use Protein Powder in my coffee which provides 15 grams of protein. No problem drinking 2 or 3 cups over the course of the day. However I know I am not eating healthy. I am finding it very difficult to get my protein from actual foods as the quantity I can eat is small. Can you please share how you reach your protein goal.

That early on, I think it’s very difficult to meet your Protein goal without protein powder/shakes and protein-fortified foods. My go-to Breakfast is half a container of Greek yogurt with half a scoop of protein powder for a total of 19 grams of protein. You can also mix unflavored protein powder into a lot of things like Soups, refried Beans, etc. I sometimes use Quest protein chips for a protein boost (I make taco bites using 1/3 of a bag of protein chips + taco meat + lettuce, Tomato, and plain Greek yogurt, or put crushed protein chips on a salad).

Since you can only eat small quantities, you have to eat mainly protein (typically meat). There’s not much room for anything else, even vegetables. I am 6 months out and still find it challenging to get 60 grams of protein per day. I still use protein powder every day. Part of it is that I don’t eat between meals; I guess if you snack throughout the day, you can probably work in some more protein, but I’m trying not to fall back into bad habits.

If you can stand Bone Broth (add some stuff for flavor) it can be helpful. The caramel Protein Shakes are great in coffee. I liked the Protein Bars, particularly the chocolate delux ones. I liked boiled potatoes with lowfat shredded cheese, refried Beans with cheese and salsa, tofu, rotissiere chicken (SOFT), soft baked fish. I really loved frozen greek yogurt bars (Yasso makes a great one). Also, Protein pancakes were a tremendous favorite. (you make the batter with oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, baking powder, greek yogurt in blender)

I am only 10 days out, but I have been choosing eggs, cottage cheese, puréed chicken Soup and refried Beans. This weekend I am going to purée a grilled tuna steak. I am limited because of my stage and rely on my shakes also.

5 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Also, Protein pancakes were a tremendous favorite. (you make the batter with oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, baking powder, greek yogurt in blender)

Do you have a link to this recipe? It looks good!

There are a bunch of them out there. I just wing it and put half a cup of oatmeal in my little smoothie blender with three egg whites, maybe 1/4 cup cottage cheese, a half a teaspoon of baking powder, and a glob of greek yogurt. If it's too dry, I add more yogurt and sometimes a little almond milk. After the batter rests for a few minutes it will get very thick as the oats suck up the Fluid. I make silver dollar pancakes and eat about 5 and put the rest in the freezer. This recipe is awesome with blueberries. Maple Grove Farms sugar free Syrup is 5 calories a serving and isn't bad! I also love them with home made apple butter made with Splenda instead of sugar.

pancakes, you just made me very happy 😁

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

There are a bunch of them out there. I just wing it and put half a cup of oatmeal in my little smoothie blender with three egg whites, maybe 1/4 cup cottage cheese, a half a teaspoon of baking powder, and a glob of greek yogurt. If it's too dry, I add more yogurt and sometimes a little almond milk. After the batter rests for a few minutes it will get very thick as the oats suck up the Fluid. I make silver dollar pancakes and eat about 5 and put the rest in the freezer. This recipe is awesome with blueberries. Maple Grove Farms sugar free Syrup is 5 calories a serving and isn't bad! I also love them with home made apple butter made with Splenda instead of sugar.

Hi, pancakes yum. How much Protein would them 5 give you? I have 6 tablespoons of Greek yogurt, three eggs and some berries in it every morning. It gives me around 30 grams to start the day. I do not know what else to have that gives you high protein. I do not have protein powder, my surgeon here in Tasmania thinks it is not a good habit to get into. I have not really cooked anything, basically living off yogurt, prawns, tuna, cottage cheese as I feeling sick and heavy in the chest all the time. I had my op in August, second one to remove gallbladder and stretch the bowel a little so I do not get malnourished again 6 weeks ago. Any advice please

I eat cottage cheese, nut butter, and yogurt as Snacks to get Protein. You could also try soft fish. It has a lot of protein in it.

Hello, I am 1.5 years out and still drink the Premier Protein 30 Gm shakes nearly daily. My surgeon said 65-75 Gms of Protein daily. With a shake I am nearly halfway there. I also use low-fat cotttage cheese, skinless boneless grilled or baked chicken. I have found beef is somewhat difficult to digest. There are many great suggestions above which have also given ME some new ideas.
wish you well and keep us posted.

I am 10 weeks post op and would appreciate any advice. My Protein goal from dietitian is 70gram per day (she calculates based on goal weight of 70kg) I use Protein Powder in my coffee which provides 15 grams of Protein. No problem drinking 2 or 3 cups over the course of the day. However I know I am not eating healthy. I am finding it very difficult to get my protein from actual foods as the quantity I can eat is small. Can you please share how you reach your protein goal.

What is the best tasteless protein powder for mixing with coffee, power aid? I start pre op diet in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, jpeits52 said:

Hello, I am 1.5 years out and still drink the Premier Protein 30 Gm shakes nearly daily. My surgeon said 65-75 Gms of Protein daily. With a shake I am nearly halfway there. I also use low-fat cotttage cheese, skinless boneless grilled or baked chicken. I have found beef is somewhat difficult to digest. There are many great suggestions above which have also given ME some new ideas.
wish you well and keep us posted.

I agree that beef is very hard to digest.

My nutritionist said I could have Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yoghurt. It is a lifesaver. My stomach will not tolerate anything bigger than a pea so this is perfect for me. Plus it is 15 grams of Protein.