In the first pic, I’m the one on the right side of the photo. I was already a mother of 4 wonderful kids, but I was miserable & very unhappy with my weight. I was insecure and embarrassed at how far I had let myself go. So, I started doing 5k runs to help myself lose weight. Being active was never a problem. I was disciplined enough to get out on a track, do step aerobics, or walk/run some bleachers. However, it was my relationship with food that was the problem.

When I started my journey to get the sleeve, my surgeon said something that stayed with me: “The sleeve will guarantee weight loss in your first year out, but YOU have to utilize that time to CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE in order to maintain that weight loss.”

Folks...that is EXACTLY what I did. I changed my eating habits. The sleeve forced my hand with QUANTITY, but I learned about QUALITY nutrition for my body. I completely changed my dietary habits! I got rid of all my trigger foods (and believe me that most of them were/are sliders!) and filled my fridge & pantry with lean meats, veggies, fresh fruits, complex carbs. And as the weight came off, I started lifting weights (heavy weights) to totally recomp my figure. And as the years went by and my stomach stretched and the quantity of food I was able to consume increased, I learned to time my meals and seek out fulfilling recipes that were also satisfying. Foods like: Greek yogurt (with a scoop of protein), topped with fresh fruits; zucchini noodles with chicken & Alfredo sauce; eggs, egg whites topped with fresh veggies like mushrooms, onion, spinach, cheese, with an added side of turkey bacon; zucchini noodles with spaghetti sauce & turkey meat; turkey patties topped with gravy & mushrooms and a side of green beans; turkey chili topped with cheese and a small bag of Fritos; pancakes/waffles made from oats, banana, eggs, olive oil, cinnamon (I add Protein powder as an option, and a sugar free seasoning call Honey Butter & Cinnamon by Icon), and topped with whipped cream, fresh fruits, and sugar free syrups (like Walden Farms); I’ll cook with low calorie marinades (like G. Hughes) and seasonings that are low in sodium and/or sugar free (like Icon) to add flavor and diversity with out tons of calories. 

Folks! Life changing!!! I CHOOSE to eat well. I CHOOSE to exercise 5-6 days a week. I CHOOSE my lifestyle. I still eat foods that are not “health” conscious, but I’m in control now. I can eat them without over indulging or losing control. I even drink beer a few nights out of the month. My lifestyle choices have led me down a path in which I’m so much happier! I feel strong, confident, and in control! I’m in a better place mentally, and because of that, I’m a much better parent to my kids! Change is possible, folks. The sleeve is a tool, but you’re the one in control.