Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am very close to my 6 month post op, and am losing so much hair. I actually measure it each time I wash it, which is every 4 days. I get anxiety on hair wash day, because I am so afraid of losing more. It currently measures out to be 4-5 grams of Hair loss each time. I used to have beautiful long, thick, curly hair. Now it is short, thin, and not so curly anymore. It has broken off so much of the length, as well as getting thinner. I know I was told that some hair loss was normal, but this is actually scary. Is there anyone else out there who this has happened to, but can tell me that theirs grew back? If so, how long did it take?

Mine grew back.

Started falling out around 3 months. You could see my scalp, YIKES. Slowed down to normal shedding rate around 6-7 months.

After the Hair loss, came the regrowth, and I had to go through months of all these little chicken hairs sticking up all over my head cuz they were too short to lay flat LOL.

Am now at 2+ years out and its all back to normal, and the new growth is as just long as the surrounding hair....been this way for a while.

P.S. My hair is almost shoulder length today. I had cut it super short when the shedding started to try to minimize the thinning look.

Edited by ms.sss

Mine didn't come back but it stopped losing a lot. I tried Nioxin and Rogaine and everything without success.

I am experiencing the exact same thing and am terrified. My hair is my thing and long and curly, it's now very thin, straggly and straight. I discussed this with my dietician and I'm going on maintenance until it stablizes then I will go back on the program and loose 20 more.

but slower. She said it's the rapid weight loss. I've lost 65 pounds and will be content with that for now. Right now, my hair is more important to me. I do take all the vits I'm supposed to and do get all the Protein and Water in and I still lost so much hair. She said I'm the poster child for weight loss surgery by doing everything I am supposed to, but without my hair, it's not worth it. She said it could take several months to start growing again. I've added more zinc just so I can feel like I'm doing something. She said it really won't help but it can't hurt.

Edited by It's time.

It’s just your natural Hair loss cycle accelerated because of your reduced food intake & the shock to your body from the change of diet, weight loss & surgery. You may also notice a change of texture from the anaesthetic too. As my surgeon said your body has better things to do with the nutrients you‘re consuming at the moment than growing hair.

Your hair is already growing back but at its normal rate so not as quickly as you’re losing it.

Stressing about it is probably making it worse. It will stop just give it time. Mine stopped at about 6 months when I started maintenance & was eating a little more.

A lot of us cut our hair so the loss wasn’t as noticeable & the regrowth doesn’t have as much to grow to get to the same length as your hair.

20 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Mine grew back.

Started falling out around 3 months. You could see my scalp, YIKES. Slowed down to normal shedding rate around 6-7 months.

After the Hair loss, came the regrowth, and I had to go through months of all these little chicken hairs sticking up all over my head cuz they were too short to lay flat LOL.

Am now at 2+ years out and its all back to normal, and the new growth is as just long as the surrounding hair....been this way for a while.

P.S. My hair is almost shoulder length today. I had cut it super short when the shedding started to try to minimize the thinning look.

I am seriously thinking of cutting it really short until it starts to grow back. I had short hair before and loved it. It was so much easier to take care of.

19 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Mine didn't come back but it stopped losing a lot. I tried Nioxin and Rogaine and everything without success.

My nutritionist told me that none of that stuff works for us. I did start taking a Flaxseed supplement with my Vitamin but have not seen any difference yet.

19 hours ago, It's time. said:

I am experiencing the exact same thing and am terrified. My hair is my thing and long and curly, it's now very thin, straggly and straight. I discussed this with my dietician and I'm going on maintenance until it stablizes then I will go back on the program and loose 20 more.

but slower. She said it's the rapid weight loss. I've lost 65 pounds and will be content with that for now. Right now, my hair is more important to me. I do take all the vits I'm supposed to and do get all the Protein and Water in and I still lost so much hair. She said I'm the poster child for weight loss surgery by doing everything I am supposed to, but without my hair, it's not worth it. She said it could take several months to start growing again. I've added more zinc just so I can feel like I'm doing something. She said it really won't help but it can't hurt.

I know it sounds funny but my hair was my pride and joy! I used to get compliments on a daily basis. Now I am so embarrassed by the way it looks. I actually cry when I wash it because it just comes out in clumps. I can not even wear it down anymore. It is all uneven. It looks awful. I am seriously thinking of buying a wig.

I’m almost 6 years out Gastric Bypass I stay hungry a lot what’s does that mean? Plus I’m gaining weight back picking back up bad habits what can I do to get back on the right track???