Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any March 2021 Sleeve Patients?

19 hours ago, MikeP81 said:

Hello everyone. New to the Forum. 39 yo male.

I had gastric sleeve surgery yesterday March 29th and am home today. Not as bad as I thought. Swallowing is still a real shock to the system. Even with just Water. I used to chug Water and this is a definite challenge.

Presurgery weight was 329. I'm 5'10. I had lost 45 pounds dating back to october before the surgery including 2 week liquid diet . Looking forward to these new challenges and the opportunities they bring.

Welcome @MikeP81! Congratulations & hope your healing goes well. For me things got a lot better after the first 48 hrs. Wishing that for you too!

Had my 2 week post-op appointment today with my surgeon. All is well, healing nicely- although I CANNOT WAIT to be done with liquids. Still on liquids (2 weeks pre-op and 3 weeks post-op) Next week I can start a few things like mashed avocado, eggs & cottage cheese. Hooray! How are you doing fellow Marchers?

3 minutes ago, groovygal said:

Welcome @MikeP81! Congratulations & hope your healing goes well. For me things got a lot better after the first 48 hrs. Wishing that for you too!

Thank you. It is definitely trending that way.got out of surgery around noon on Monday and it's around 48 hours now. I'm able to drink Water pretty regularly now.

Definitely alot of mental challenges. Listening to your body , giving yourself time to recover and being patient most of all I would say help.

Still a road ahead but glad I did it now and held off a few years ago trying to everything on my own and go back to work in a couple weeks. For background I'm a physical therapist and there is no way I would have been able to pull that off like I had planned.

Greatful for my wife who has been ultra supportive and taken on a lot to allow me to finally get this done.

I had my operation on March 16, 2021.

I'm here looking for inspiration as the first 3 weeks have sucked. :)

I also just started back to work and am trying to figure out how all of this work out and if I'll ever be able to taste food again and enjoy it.

Good luck to all of the March 2021 surgery participants.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, Mkk_NY said:

Good luck, I always enjoyed lots of coffee! Right now I'm just trying to focus on drinking Water. Not easy to get all my Water in. Does it get easier after the 2 week? Im on day 4

I miss soda so much. And two weeks out, everything I taste tastes like nothing. It can only getter better. :)

I had my surgery Feb 18th. It was a struggle for first 3 weeks, but now that I can enjoy some food it has become easier. I am down 32 lbs.

I like to make my own chicken broth, has so much more flavor than cans. Yes, I know it has more fat & calories, but you need something in your stomach to make it happy. I do also have Bryers non fat fudge bars..this soothes my stomach.

Water: at first I was sipping small amounts as directed. I am able to drink large amounts as long as there is no food to push it down and stretch stomach. I verified with my Dr. So basically I flavor my Water with sugar free crystal light, lemonade country time and can easily drink 8-12 oz in 30 minutes if I wanted to.

I am now eating sautéed soft fish with spinach. It digest well when your at 5 weeks. Poke is a good one too cuz it will digest, Cottage cheese, scrambled eggs topped with tsp of non fat Greek yogurt.

You can do it. It will be worth your suffering.

🤗

On 3/16/2021 at 10:01 AM, LoveSimcha said:

How are the 3rd week Marchers doing? You guys hanging in there? Mine was last week and feeling good. No pain but tired. Drinking and "eating" is a real struggle - the thought of food makes me gag although I could go for a nice bowl of Pasta lol Maye I am ick of Soups and shakes lol

2 weeks post surgery, and I would have never thought that the thought of food would make me gag or be distasteful. I mean, I guess it's good, but I hope it evolves into something better over time!

On 3/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, InItoWinIt said:

My experience at the surgery center was wonderful with a great team of nurses and doctors. You go in and they prep you. They get an intake with weight and vitals, gown. Multiple doctors come to make sure you are okay and ask multiple history questions. Very important to have followed the pre op diet. (A woman next to me went it and was turned away after the surgery was started. The important part is to lose at least 8lbs and stay off carbs. My doc let me have one diet coke a day. I used my own Protein Shakes and almond milk.) After that the surgeon comes in and wheels you into the room. That was the last thing I remembered. I woke up feeling nauseous, but they give you something for that. You basically have to walk around and void a certain number of cc's before they let you go, So they push Water and walking. I was there 8 hours post op. Went home at 8:00pm. I am not going to lie. It sucks. Your stomach is filled with air for weeks and it is painful. You burp and have gas non stop. Don't try to eat. You don't need it. Just get the liquids down. The last thing you want is dehydration. Walk as much as you can because not only does it help with clots, but it helps so much with the gas. My turning point was 4 weeks. I am just now tolerating some food, however, I never felt hungry. I just started my Vitamins bc that hurt too. My doctor said I have enough weight on my body to survive not eating. I lived off Water, broth and popsicles. I just added tuna and chicken noodle Soup. Just remember when you go back to eating, you will only be able to eat 2-3 bites. You will not be able to eat the way you use to eat. Tomato Soup did not work well with me. I can't stand Protein shakes now. I tried the mashed banana with some Peanut Butter and it was a terrible experience. It is all trial and error. Just be patient and don't believe all the hype that you have to get so much Protein in etc... that all comes later in the 5-6 week. I am still miserable sometimes, but I know it will all be worth it. I am in my fifth week and lost 35lbs. I started at 257. Good luck!

Great description of the after-process. I'm only on week 3 post-op, and I think I actually loathe Protein Shakes now.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:34 PM, melikeyzzz said:

Hi everyone. I'm new. I just had my procedure March 15.

Sent from my LG-H871 using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck. Hope things went well. Had my on the 3.16.21

On 3/30/2021 at 9:00 PM, MikeP81 said:

Hello everyone. New to the Forum. 39 yo male.

I had gastric sleeve surgery yesterday March 29th and am home today. Not as bad as I thought. Swallowing is still a real shock to the system. Even with just Water. I used to chug Water and this is a definite challenge.

Presurgery weight was 329. I'm 5'10. I had lost 45 pounds dating back to october before the surgery including 2 week liquid diet . Looking forward to these new challenges and the opportunities they bring.

I had surgery on 3.16.21 and went back to teaching, in person, 3.29.21. I also have had evolving stages of "What Have I Done?" thoughts. And, right now, food and the thought of eating makes me gag.

Good luck in your journey, Mike.

21 minutes ago, EducatingtheMasses said:

I had surgery on 3.16.21 and went back to teaching, in person, 3.29.21. I also have had evolving stages of "What Have I Done?" thoughts. And, right now, food and the thought of eating makes me gag.

Good luck in your journey, Mike.

I haven’t even had my surgery yet and I’m worried about the what have I done thoughts. I had the lapband over 10 years ago and had it removed in 2019 and I remember having those thoughts with that.

11 hours ago, EducatingtheMasses said:

I miss soda so much. And two weeks out, everything I taste tastes like nothing. It can only getter better. :)

Me too - I would kill for a diet ginger ale right now lol

23 hours ago, EducatingtheMasses said:

Good luck. Hope things went well. Had my on the 3.16.21

Hi. Thanks at week 3 I'm feeling pretty much back to normal physically. How are you?