Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital stay question

New to the group, just joined scheduled for 3/1 I’ve found this whole process very overwhelming and have a million questions but one I am not sure on I’d thought those that went thru it Could answer. I’ve never had to stay in hospital I’ve been told it’s a one night stay what would you suggest bringing with you? Due to covid I am being dropped off and I am not being allowed a visitor so if I don’t bring I won’t have. Your insight and suggestions are appreciated!!’ After reading thru the topics I’ll see if I have any other questions thAnks and good luck to all!!

you'll probably sleep most of the time, so don't bring a lot since it'll likely stay in your suitcase. Phone and charger for sure. Some people also like to have lip balm and Biotene spray since dry mouth after surgery is pretty common. Comfy clothes that are easy to put on for the trip home (I just wore the same clothes that I wore to the hospital). I wouldn't bother with sleeping attire - you'll have a hospital gown on, and you'll be hooked up to machines so it'd be kind of hard to get pajamas on and off. Some people like a pillow for the ride home - to put over your stomach since you might be sore. I brought toiletries (deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste - maybe that was it), but they gave me those in the hospital, so I really didn't need to. But I'm not sure if most hospitals do that or not. I think that was pretty much it..

When I think about what I packed, I actually needed a lot less. Besides the cellphone & charger I could have just brought the clothes on my back.

Edited by GreenTealael

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

When I think about what I packed, I actually needed a lot less. Besides the cellphone & charger I could have just brought the clothes on my back.

Agree 100%!

Chapstick/lip balm, iPad, phone, charger, pajama bottoms to wear under my hospital gown for walking. I wore the same clothes home that I arrived in. Above is what I used.

I experienced that same as to no visitors and just a drop off and pick up at the hospital door. I liked not having anyone so I could just concentrate on recovery but it was very hard for my husband. I only brought the lip balm, toothpaste and brush, hair brush, lotion, phone and charger, magazine, and underware. I wore the same clothes home. I did end up staying an extra night due to severe nausea but found that ice chips for a god send. I could not eat the broth or Jello and the Protein Shakes were hard to swallow. They did offer crystal light lemonade which was ok. Walk as much as you can. This moves the gas and I found lifted my spirits also. I found that watching cooking shows on the TV made me nauseated also.

Best of luck and use this time to read up and get ready for your surgery and new life.

On 02/07/2021 at 08:53, GreenTealael said:

Yup! Same.

Thick fuzzy socks, a robe, 3 sets of pjs and undies, sports bras, spirometer, my doctors orders/diet/next steps, charger, water bottle, chap stick, deodorant, dental hygiene pack, extra face coverings, glasses, contact case and solution, after surgery meds, and extra long sleeve shirts in case I was extra cold. I used most of it except the Water bottle and 1 set of clothes.

I definitely over packed for my one night stay. The things that I used ended up being my charger, a soft throw & pillow from home for extra comfort because hospital beds are not ideal for being comfortable lol, and fuzzy socks/ a pair of slippers. I packed extra pajamas, but the only time I changed was when I went from the gown to pajamas.