Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious... How long before you could eat your first piece of pizza?

This recipe will change your life in terms of getting your pizza fix in, while going low-carb and Protein packed. I made this many time while I was pre-op and wanting pizza.

https://fitmencook.com/low-carb-pizza/

I haven't made it since surgery, but I also stuck to a very slow return to normal food. It will happen soon, though. I also highly recommend the Protein Pizza Crusts that @Uomograsso posted. Those have been a godsend!

Don't knock the cauliflower crust until you try it. I am also very picky and was hesitant in trying it. I tried getting the frozen cheese cauliflower crust pizza from Walmart and shredded up some turkey deli meat and added a little more cheese. I was only able to eat about half a piece 4 weeks post op but it was good!

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 02/06/2021 at 10:45, FINFAN3DP said:

It seems as if each doctor has a different diet plan for before/after surgery.

For instance, my surgery was 1/29/2021. I am on 2 weeks liquids to include Protein Shakes, Protein Water, Water, Yogurt, Fat free/sugar free pudding and low fat ricotta.

then i go to 1 to 6 months of soft foods, to include ground meat, deli slices, non-fat cheeses, etc

then on to solids again.

My main thing is pizza. I just want to know realistically when I will be able to eat it again. I don't want any lectures on how i shouldn't. I'm only wanting one slice vs the 4 or 5 I used to eat. So spare me the anger.

Hey! No judgment here. I personally do not eat regular pizza. When I do eat pizza I eat cauliflower crust pizza. They make it so well now a days that you don’t feel like it’s not “real” pizza. Just a suggestion for satisfy that craving. I live in Texas and we have a grocery store called H‑E‑B. They sell a store brand cauliflower crust pizza that is to die for!! Also California brand is good too!

I'm gonna sound like a nut, but I'm used to that, so here goes.. I don't like pizza! But, since everyone else in the whole world, including my husband and son, loves it, it's hard to avoid at times, and I'm not a very picky eater so I will eat it if there's nothing else available or I'm too lazy to cool.
I'm 6 months post op Loop DS, and I have found so far I can eat just about anything, but certain things that are too fatty will give me diarrhea. I think had pizza at around 4 months post op. Most of the time, I just get a salad instead.
I have to say, I LOVED the ricotta bake, and didn't find it to be like pizza, but more like lasagna, but if you're a pizza lover it definitely could pass. It's delicious! My husband who is not a wls patient loved it and ate it right along with me!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, FINFAN3DP said:

It seems as if each doctor has a different diet plan for before/after surgery.

For instance, my surgery was 1/29/2021. I am on 2 weeks liquids to include Protein Shakes, Protein Water, Water, Yogurt, Fat free/sugar free pudding and low fat ricotta.

then i go to 1 to 6 months of soft foods, to include ground meat, deli slices, non-fat cheeses, etc

then on to solids again.

My main thing is pizza. I just want to know realistically when I will be able to eat it again. I don't want any lectures on how i shouldn't. I'm only wanting one slice vs the 4 or 5 I used to eat. So spare me the anger.

I tried pizza around 4 months post, my surgeon and dietician gave the ok (under my particular circumstances) Funny thing is I don’t eat pizza these days and I haven’t got a long time, but I will gladly eat my BFs crust 😂

On 2/6/2021 at 7:02 PM, ElPasoSleeveGal said:

Don't knock the cauliflower crust until you try it. I am also very picky and was hesitant in trying it. I tried getting the frozen cheese cauliflower crust pizza from Walmart and shredded up some turkey deli meat and added a little more cheese. I was only able to eat about half a piece 4 weeks post op but it was good!

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

You must have missed the part where i said "I'm the fussiest fat guy you will ever meet". I don't eat a lot of things, especially Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, brussle sprouts, or anything that swims. 😃

5 hours ago, STLoser said:

I'm gonna sound like a nut, but I'm used to that, so here goes.. I don't like pizza! But, since everyone else in the whole world, including my husband and son, loves it, it's hard to avoid at times, and I'm not a very picky eater so I will eat it if there's nothing else available or I'm too lazy to cool.
I'm 6 months post op Loop DS, and I have found so far I can eat just about anything, but certain things that are too fatty will give me diarrhea. I think had pizza at around 4 months post op. Most of the time, I just get a salad instead.
I have to say, I LOVED the ricotta bake, and didn't find it to be like pizza, but more like lasagna, but if you're a pizza lover it definitely could pass. It's delicious! My husband who is not a wls patient loved it and ate it right along with me!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Don't like pizza???? 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 That is heresy!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I have a great recipe for a low carb crust that has almond flour, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and egg. You bake the crust first then put cooked toppings on after and broil for a few minutes. The crust is rolled out real thin and is very soft after all of your toppings are on it. My family LOVES it and we hardly ever have regular pizza anymore! Let me know if you are interested! I had a piece last night and I’m around 1 month out (allowed soft foods) and it went down very easily with a little extra sauce. We also use Turkey sausage so I think that helped too:))

2 months but only a baby slice. I used to be able to eat 5 slices for reference.

I know we're all different but this thread did make me smile. I don't know why but pizza (sourdough base) has gone down really well for me from about 6 weeks onwards. I was so nervous trying it but it was fine & for about 2 weeks recently when my sleeve hated everything (even after going back to liquids/soft food) was all I could eat.

I can only manage a couple of slices & having been to the US, the slices here in the UK are a lot smaller! No impact on weight loss either but it was a rare meal for me pre surgery so don't plan on adding it as a regular thing as can see it derailing as the restriction lessens.

First slice was this past Saturday. Almost 3 months post surgery. Good, New York pizza, from my favorite spot. Split one slice with my 3 year old grandson. He finished his, and I made it through half of mine. Lol. So 1/4 slice, but it was good, and I was happy. Before surgery, I could do 5 or 6 slices.

Huh, I guess I miss pizza! I wish we had all these crust options here, the *protein one* looks really good.

Don't worry, OP. I don't like fish either. I always chuckle when bariatric recipe sites suggest "and then just add some steamed fish" ... yeah, I'd rather eat the box it came in thank you very much.

*Pizza and the ol' McD were binge foods for me back when I was an overeater. I found peace with both pre-surgery, I guess I should again at some point after to tackle it head on.

Edited by Guest
Edited with * to avoid making random links to the store. Which will forget half your ordered items and ship weeks later, fair warning.