Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I think I’m approaching maintenance. 11 months out from modified DS surgery. Not sure how I feel about that. My BMI is 28 down from 51. I’m wearing a size 6 which I can barely get my head around. I feel great but DONE losing weight? Happy with my weight? This is a new concept for me and I’m petrified I’m going to blow it. Any advise from seasoned maintenance people? I’m so scared I’m going to put it back on and so hard on myself for every food choice I make or non movement on the scale. TIA!

set an acceptable range for yourself (because your weight WILL fluctuate a bit). Maybe a five-pound acceptable range. Then set a drop-dead upper limit. Weigh yourself often. I probably weigh myself five mornings a week, but even once a week is fine. I wouldn't go longer than that, though. If you start getting dangerously close to - or even a pound or two over - that drop dead red line, then it's all hands on deck until you get back safely into your range again. I monitor my weight very closely because I know in the past (before I had surgery), my weight would start creeping up whenever I stopped paying attention. Before I knew it, I'd have gained 20 - or 30 - or 50 lbs. Don't let that happen. Just keep monitoring yourself and paying attention - and spring into action when you reach - or get too near - your top limit. It's way easier to lose 5 lbs than it is 50!

Same.

I have a acceptable 5 lb range. I also weigh myself every day. If I am over the upper limit for 3-4 consecutive days, I cut calories/watch what I eat until I hit my lower limit. I've done this 3 times already in the past 1.5 years. Each time took progressively longer (1 week, 3-4 weeks, 3 months). Mind you, I was also progressively less dedicated each time, lol.

This is one of the reasons why I am a daily/regular weigh-er. I have read too many times how others "suddenly", gained weight, that I don't want to not keep an eye on it myself, so I'm not surprised at "sudden" weight gain.

P.S. This is not to say that your "acceptable" weight range is permanent...this can change as things change ❤️ (i.e., if I get over my upper limit again too soon, I may up my range by 5 lbs...its not worth it to me to have to keep watching my calories...i'll take the 5lb hit. But so far so good.)

My surgery is Thursday, but I have a history of not maintaining losses. I plan for this time to be different and I’m going to apply these ideas. Thanks!

10 hours ago, NiceAnkles said:

My surgery is Thursday, but I have a history of not maintaining losses. I plan for this time to be different and I’m going to apply these ideas. Thanks!

I would say most if not all of us who have been through WLS had the same problem pre-op! We could lose the weight (or some of the weight), but couldn't keep it off. I was a pro at losing 50ls and gaining it right back!

Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, ChubRub said:

I would say most if not all of us who have been through WLS had the same problem pre-op! We could lose the weight (or some of the weight), but couldn't keep it off. I was a pro at losing 50ls and gaining it right back!

Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I can’t even count the pounds that were lost and seemed to pile right back on. I’m already feeling relieved to stop that cycle.

15 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

🔺 I completely agree 🔺

I definitely work better with the plan of choosing a range and working to stay in it.

My spellcheck is a nightmare 😩

4 hours ago, ChubRub said:

Best of luck to you!

Well, then call me an expert! I can lose 50 but then I find 75.