Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions _ 2 weeks Post-Op

It is currently 2 weeks after my Gastric Bypass in Jan. I know its just the beginning & its going to take time. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I am having a bit difficulty drinking Water. I didn't have any problems with water, I drank 6-8 cups of water, if not more. Now when I take even two sips of water my chest and back hurts, likes its full. I follow my doctor direction not to drink at least 30 minutes after eating. I am hardly getting 1 bottle in a day. I push thru the pain to drink an 16oz bottle. I was able to drink it more easier with crystal light mixed in which was only twice (or maybe it was perfect timing where everything was going smoothly internally). FYI, I drink from a bottle.

2. I was told by my doctor to start this past Sunday on puree food. I have such a hard time eating boiled eggs. I feel the same with like I do with the water even on an empty stomach. I chew it down to a mush.

3. I have pain on one incision (the main one). The pain is on and around the incision, not red and no pus discharge. But when I try to get off of bed it feels likes a big lump/ball inside that feels uncomfortable.

Has anyone had these problems and what can I do to help? Are there any other problems I might face in the future?

Thank You

Edited by Rose🌹

2 hours ago, Rose🌹 said:

It is currently 2 weeks after my Gastric Bypass in Jan. I know its just the beginning & its going to take time. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I am having a bit difficulty drinking Water. I didn't have any problems with Water, I drank 6-8 cups of water, if not more. Now when I take even two sips of water my chest and back hurts, likes its full. I follow my doctor direction not to drink at least 30 minutes after eating. I am hardly getting 1 bottle in a day. I push thru the pain to drink an 16oz bottle. I was able to drink it more easier with crystal light mixed in which was only twice (or maybe it was perfect timing where everything was going smoothly internally). FYI, I drink from a bottle.

2. I was told by my doctor to start this past Sunday on puree food. I have such a hard time eating boiled eggs. I feel the same with like I do with the water even on an empty stomach. I chew it down to a mush.

3. I have pain on one incision (the main one). The pain is on and around the incision, not red and no pus discharge. But when I try to get off of bed it feels likes a big lump/ball inside that feels uncomfortable.

Has anyone had these problems and what can I do to help? Are there any other problems I might face in the future?

Thank You

As for the water intake, that is the best you can do just keep it handy and sip all thru the day in between your "meals". I am 3 wks post-op and at my one wk visit the I also had a very hard knot inside one of my incisions, and it was red and warm to the touch. My Dr. prescribed 10 days of antibiotics, but he was concerned with infection being it was so sore to touch and the heat off of it. Now, once all that got better, I made the mistake of walking way to hard and fast and jiggled all my insides and put myself down for a couple of days. As a matter of fact, yesterday on Feb 1 i ran a fever low grade all day long. I had decided that i was going to call my Dr today, but no fever now. Thank you Jesus. Anyway, just when you walk be sure and walk, not push yourself so hard until we are completely healed. I have paid dearly. Also, today I haven't hardly been able to eat anything. I have no apatite at all, not to mention major heartburn?? I hope this helps, they said my knot would take quite some time to go away. As long as it doesn't hurt when you push on it, or not red or any heat, I'd think it would be ok, However, I am NO Doctor, so please I am just telling you my experience to compare. I hope it helps and I hope that you feel better very soon.

with food, you can always back off for a few days and then try again. Some people's systems are more sensitive than others and it takes them a little longer to work through the phases. Also - eggs - a lot of people have trouble with those the first few weeks or months after WLS. Not everyone - but I seem to see a lot of posts on that. Maybe wait and try those again later...

Congrats on your surgery.

I struggled with Water too after being a good water drinker pre surgery. I was a gulper, easily downing a large glass in one go so to only being able to sip was a challenge. I found it easier to sip on hot tea - soothing too. Some people set an alarm to remind themselves to sip regularly.

Try scrambled eggs instead of a boiled egg. Make them using more milk than you would normally so they’re sloppier. I ate a lot of scrambled eggs during my weight loss.

On 2/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, RhondaHigdon said:

As for the Water intake, that is the best you can do just keep it handy and sip all thru the day in between your "meals". I am 3 wks post-op and at my one wk visit the I also had a very hard knot inside one of my incisions, and it was red and warm to the touch. My Dr. prescribed 10 days of antibiotics, but he was concerned with infection being it was so sore to touch and the heat off of it. Now, once all that got better, I made the mistake of walking way to hard and fast and jiggled all my insides and put myself down for a couple of days. As a matter of fact, yesterday on Feb 1 i ran a fever low grade all day long. I had decided that i was going to call my Dr today, but no fever now. Thank you Jesus. Anyway, just when you walk be sure and walk, not push yourself so hard until we are completely healed. I have paid dearly. Also, today I haven't hardly been able to eat anything. I have no apatite at all, not to mention major heartburn?? I hope this helps, they said my knot would take quite some time to go away. As long as it doesn't hurt when you push on it, or not red or any heat, I'd think it would be ok, However, I am NO Doctor, so please I am just telling you my experience to compare. I hope it helps and I hope that you feel better very soon.

Thank you! I spoke to my doctor and she said I am still healing inside and it was normal. As long as there isn't any discharge, redness or heat, its normal.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, catwoman7 said:

with food, you can always back off for a few days and then try again. Some people's systems are more sensitive than others and it takes them a little longer to work through the phases. Also - eggs - a lot of people have trouble with those the first few weeks or months after WLS. Not everyone - but I seem to see a lot of posts on that. Maybe wait and try those again later...

Yes, I had an appointment with the Nutritionist and he recommended to pure the hard boil eggs in a blender and a bit of light mayo or greek yogurt to make it moist.

Thanks for the advice.

23 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Congrats on your surgery.

I struggled with Water too after being a good Water drinker pre surgery. I was a gulper, easily downing a large glass in one go so to only being able to sip was a challenge. I found it easier to sip on hot tea - soothing too. Some people set an alarm to remind themselves to sip regularly.

Try scrambled eggs instead of a boiled egg. Make them using more milk than you would normally so they’re sloppier. I ate a lot of scrambled eggs during my weight loss.

Thank you!

I spoke to my Nutritionist and he advised if crystal light is easier then I should drink that instead of water.

He recommended blending it and adding a bit of light mayo or greek yogurt. I'll try that along with scrambled eggs.

Thanks for your advice!

" userid="394655"]

1. I am having a bit difficulty drinking Water. I didn't have any problems with Water, I drank 6-8 cups of water, if not more. Now when I take even two sips of water my chest and back hurts, likes its full. I follow my doctor direction not to drink at least 30 minutes after eating. I am hardly getting 1 bottle in a day. I push thru the pain to drink an 16oz bottle. I was able to drink it more easier with crystal light mixed in which was only twice (or maybe it was perfect timing where everything was going smoothly internally). FYI, I drink from a bottle.
Thank You

I found the same with water. Try half water half sugar free apple juice, and tiny sips. I mean teeny weeny. It will help your body adjust.

Some people can't do eggs for a while, they arent easy to digest. If you must have an egg, for Protein purposes, add it raw to your hot puree, it will cook in the heat and be all mushed up.