Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing too much

Anyone else in here get the surgery and can't stop losing weight but need to! I started at 5'6 200 lbs and I'm down to 118 and need to gain but can't stop losing! I look like I'm dying of something! I eat fattening stuff and try to eat every 2 hrs but nothing helps!

Do you know how many cals on average you are eating daily? What's your activity level like? If you are consuming less than your TDEE, you'll lose weight.

How long ago did you have surgery? If it was within the last year or so, generally, it takes a bit more of a concentrated effort to get calories in. Further out it gets easier.

If none of the above applies to you, you may want to get your thyroid checked. An overactive thyroid can lead to unintentional weight loss. Left untreated, it can cause issues with your heart, bones, muscles, fertility, etc....

P.S. Your current weight is still considered to be in the "Healthy" range for your height. ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

As many studies and veterans will attest, you will hit an all time low but it *usually* is not the final weight you’ll stay at.

There is often a rebound upward to some degree. You may not have to worry just yet about gaining unless your surgeon is concerned.

Congratulations on your success so far ❤️

I had my surgery in March last year. I know my BMI is at a good number but I am worried about continued weight loss. All my labs look good. I feel like I'd eat more if I could taste correctly. Not sure why the tip of tongue feels like I've rubbed oragel on it

Have you asked your surgeon's office about it? Are you still doing f/u visits with them? What amount of calories are you eating?

My surgery was in Baja so there are no f/u's for me and they wouldn't send my medical records to me so no bariatric Dr will see me in the states

3 hours ago, Debs6688 said:

I struggle to get 1200 Cal a day

What about adding chopped mixed nuts onto e.g. yoghurt, porridge, Cereal? It adds a lot of calories with not much extra bulk, is easily weighed out and also gives you a bit of Protein plus antioxidants, minerals, Vitamins & fibre. I'm still trying to lose weight but added some into my diet for Omega 3 reasons - my goodness you don't get many for quite a few calories!

5 hours ago, Debs6688 said:

I struggle to get 1200 Cal a day

If you reeeeaaaaalllllly want to up your calories/gain weight now beyond what are currently able (I personally wouldn't until you are further out and/or in the "Underweight" BMI category", but that's just me), you can look into weight-gain products that body-builders or the elderly use....lots of healthy calories and and very little volume (ie., Creatine or Ensure Plus).

At not quite 12 months, it may be a little early out to worry that you’ll become underweight unless your weight is continuing to drop at the rate it did during your weight loss stage. It does take some time to work out the right balance of calories in & energy out to stabilise. What does your primary care doctor say? Did you have a goal weight & if so when did you reach it?

I did struggle to maintain. Some of us do continue to lose. I lost a further 11kgs over 12 months. It was a challenge to slow my loss. I was losing at 3kgs a month when I reached goal. It took a couple of months to slow it to about 1kg a month, then 500g. I was constantly increasing my calories. My surgical team & doctor were concerned about the continued loss & I was regularly told to put on weight from when I was about 54kg. I was already eating all day long - 3 meals & 5 snacks! The only way I could eat more was to take longer (an hour +) to eat a larger portioned meal.

My weight seems to have stabilised now. I’ve been wavering between 48 & 49kg for about 2 months now & I’ve reduced my Snacks. At my January appointment, my surgical team was happy I was stable & there was no talk of having to put on weight. Whoo hoo!

Oh, yeah. We all seem to go through that looking gruesome stage but it does improve. You have to give your body time to adjust & your remaining fat to reposition itself.

I agree with @ms.sss’s suggestion of adding enriched drinks like Ensure & Sustagen. You can sip on them all day if you enjoy them. Personally I never enjoyed Protein powders or supplements (disgusting & grainy). My dietician suggested adding powdered milk to enrich my milk. I found it too sweet but I do add a heaped dessertspoon to a cup of milk when I make chia pudding. Maybe find a nutritionalist/dietician to advise on how you can add to your diet to increase your calories in a healthy way.