Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet

Hi everyone! In exactly one month I will begin my pre-op liquid diet. I am allowed Jell-o, popsicles, broth, Protein Drinks, milk, vegetable juice, fruit juice, etc. I am worried about going on this diet and sticking with it for 2 weeks. I thought about easing into the diet, like having just a Protein Drink for Breakfast the next 2 weeks. Then the following 2 weeks I am thinking about doing liquids for breakfast and lunch and eating supper as usual. I think this might be a way to help me ease into it and curb cravings. What were your experiences with the pre-op diet? How did you stick to it for the full 2 weeks?

My experience with the liquid diet was easier than I thought. I felt like I had no energy and everyone said it would pass in 3-4 days. It never did But it is what we have to do. I did have a nutritionist tell me that if I needed I could have some white meat chicken, so I did that a couple of days.

I started with having eggs for breakfast a shake for lunch chicken and veggies for dinner no Snacks for a

Few days then a shake for breakfast and lunch and chicken with veggies for dinner that's where I'm at now I have my surgery on February 10th I'm so excited 😁 i my covid test Sunday and start my all liquid diet lots of Water 💧 wishing you luck 😊

I didn't have to do a liquid pre-op diet, just a reduced calorie one, but I had to do 3 weeks liquid only post-op. I just sucked it up and did it, although I realize it would be easier post-op than pre-op. Good luck. You've got this, you can do it!

I just white knuckled it. It was really tough, but it got a bit easier by day 3 or 4 (when your body goes into ketosis). I ate sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello with abandon (as in - a whole box of Jello a day). I was also allowed a limited amount of broth and Tomato juice/V8 (I think a cup of each a day), so I took advantage of that since the sodium in them made me retain Water - thus I felt a little fuller. But it wasn't easy. I thought it was the hardest part of the whole ordeal. I was actually relieved by the time surgery day came around!

2 hours ago, krlongfellow said:

My surgery date is March 1st so I will be starting a very similar pre-op diet in a couple of weeks. I don’t get to have vegetable or fruit juice.< span class="ipsEmoji">😢. Praying I can tough it out!!!🤦🏽‍♀️

I’m really glad there is a big variety of liquids my surgeon is allowing! Good luck to you!!

BTW- if you just need to chew or crunch something- use ice or popsicles. Good luck, it's the worst part of the whole ordeal IMO.

@Jnfinney :

I went from eating my regular pre-op way (which was alot) straight into the 2 week liquid diet.

Mine was 3 Protein Shakes a day.

The first 2-3 days was a little challenging in terms of reminding myself that I'm not supposed to eat anything but my 3 shakes, but by day 3-4 it became infinitely easier. In fact, by the second week there were days that I only had 2 shakes and was just fine. If I remember correctly, I had no issues with energy levels.

So like @catwoman7 said, if you can get through 2-3 days of sticking to the plan, it will feel less challenging going forward after that (at least that was my experience).

Good Luck!

P.S. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!! It'll be a game changer!

My surgery date is February 18th. My liquid diet begins February 11th. But, I started drinking shakes for breakfast and lunch about a week ago. Salads with either chicken or fish sometimes Soup, broth etc for dinner. I have my sugar free ice pops and Jello. I've ordered my Multi-Vitamin and should have that this week too. I think I'm ready, or as ready as I can be. I'm nervous, but am telling myself I can do this. No one knows I'm having WLS except for my husband, obviously. My daughter and my best friend. I just don't want any judgement or negative comments.

24 minutes ago, Jerzeegrl said:

My surgery date is February 18th. My liquid diet begins February 11th. But, I started drinking shakes for Breakfast and lunch about a week ago. Salads with either chicken or fish sometimes Soup, broth etc for dinner. I have my sugar free ice pops and Jello. I've ordered my Multi-Vitamin and should have that this week too. I think I'm ready, or as ready as I can be. I'm nervous, but am telling myself I can do this. No one knows I'm having WLS except for my husband, obviously. My daughter and my best friend. I just don't want any judgement or negative comments.

Good luck!!!! I think it will be easier for me to switch to complete liquids if I’ve been having liquids for breakfast and lunch for a while first.

Good Luck to you as well. That is my thinking....ease into it. TBH I've been drinking shakes on and off for years. But never for all 3 meals. 😁