Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Surprises I didn't expect with WLS

A few things I wasn't expecting 5 months out from surgery.

6. I would have to get smaller shoes. I was a size ten 1/2 in shoes and now 8.5.

5. Also always being cold, I wear thermals almost every day to work , but I live in a cold environment. I always wear a scarf.

4. Loosing hair was a bit traumatic for me, but it has stabilized

3. the amount of time I think of food has been transferred into new coping skills, like crafts with yarn and having fun science experiments with my kids.

2. the need for silence to be alone with my thoughts.

1. how anxious I get when buying new clothes. what are some surprise that you had?

I need a body pillow to sleep because my thighs don’t keep my bony knees apart and it hurts.

I’m cold. A nice change from being a swamp monster.

Yard work and house projects are enjoyable.

I honestly didn’t realize how fat I was (“I’m just a big guy”).

Which coincides with:
I’m mortified when looking through old photos.

Hahahaha. I can relate to being a Swamp Monster.

I love walking. I can keep up with my husband and don't need to rest!

I have hip bones, and sitting on the toilet can get uncomfortable with my boney bum.

I don't think about food, I have fallen into eating about the same all of the time.

My craves are fruits, grapes, blackberries, and peaches.

I dress in layers now to stay warm.

How much I would love watching other people eat! Haha. I hate eating, myself, now, but I love watching my daughter and friends eating something I used to like (unless it is a trigger food and then I sweat lol).

I am constantly cold, I dress in layers now.

It is so much easier to do everything!

My husband says I am too boney, my hip bones stick out and my spine.

I am shocked when I look in the mirror and sometimes find myself staring at myself saying who is that?

My wrinkle (y) skin drives me crazy!

I feel pretty darn good!

18 hours ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I need a body pillow to sleep because my thighs don’t keep my bony knees apart and it hurts.

Haha! Me too!

19 hours ago, Holodisplay said:

A few things I wasn't expecting 5 months out from surgery.

6. I would have to get smaller shoes. I was a size ten 1/2 in shoes and now 8.5.

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT!!!!???? I had no idea this was a possibility! My feet grew with both of my pregnancies, but did not even in my wildest dreams think they could shrink! I have ‘Peggy Hill feet’. Well... almost - 11.5 to 12!! It is sooo difficult finding shoes, I usually have to buy men’s! 😣. Oh my Holy Hannah!!! You have made my year!!! Crossing fingers for future foot shrinkage! Woooohooooo!!!!

CONGRATS on all your successes!!! Thank you for sharing!

K...I'm 2+ years out so alot of my surprises are long behind me. But here are some observations from the past year and a bit:

• I am no longer freezing. Yeah, i still wear socks year round and generally wear a sweater when others around me are not, but my temp regulation is waaaaay better. For instance, my thermostat reads 25C at the moment and I'm wearing a tank top...this would have been unheard of my first winter.
  • All the hair that fell out is back and just as long as the hair around it (I've got almost-shoulder hair)
  • My skin & lips are no longer as dry as the were pre-wls Its been over 2 years since I last broke out (i had a bad case about 2-3 months post op, none since then)
  • My pits don't stink! I can get away without wearing deodorant (when I'm not running).
  • My pee goes straight into the toilet...it barely touches any part of my body/skin that needs lots of tissue nor multiple wipes.
  • Restricting carbs seems to actually have zero value-added effect in terms of losing actual lbs from the scale...but they do have an effect on my looks (they make me look puffier)
  • My body strictly follows CICO. No secret tips or tricks.
  • If I slack off on tracking my food or weighing regularly (i.e, every day), my weight WILL creep up.
  • There is no glaring difference with how people treated me when I was fatter vs. now (well, at least not to my face, LOL)
  • People no longer care how much weight I lost or what I eat.

4 months out.
1. Always cold... I used to keep the heat at 18C ... now it's usually at 21C

2. 67pds down I'm now having to buy new stretchy pants since the old ones are huge on me

3. I'm losing my bum completely... I always thought I was one of those girls who had a Kim K bum naturally... I guess only when I'm overweight.

4. Dark circles are my trademark look. I never had them before but I guess being low on nutrients means dark circles

5. Gatorade and ice cold Water go down the easiest.

6. My knees hurt if I don't cuddle a pillow

Sent from my SM-G973W using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree with you on the being cold. I was always the guy wearing shorts in winter, but not anymore. Ive been cold since October lol. And the second one that is very important is finding coping skills with life. Many of us used food before, and I think its really important to recognize the feelings and deal with them, rather than ignore them and push them down. Finding new healthy ways to unwind, deal with stress, and find joy have been pillars of my recovery.

What is CICO?

53 minutes ago, Katja said:

What is CICO?

Calories In, Calories Out. It's sort of the traditional view of weight management -- eat more than you burn and you gain weight, burn more than you eat and you lose weight. If you look at it this way, it doesn't matter what the calories are (protein, fat, carbs, meat, vegetarian, organic, GMO, etc.), just how many you're eating vs. burning.

Big Sue, Thanks for the answer. I couldn't remember what the initials stood for... I'm very well versed in this as I've dieted over 55 years. There are too many acronyms these days. :wacko: