Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post-op, kinda skimpy WL

Today is officially my 1 month post bypass, and I've only lost 16lbs. I had a gnarly 2.5 week stall, but I barely eat anything- I feel like I should be losing more. 16 lbs. in a month is nothing to sneeze at, but I thought It'd be a little more. Are my expectations too high? I've been struggling to get in enough fluids too. Just feeling a bit disheartened.

When I spoke to my team, they said they expect about 2lbs a week and anything extra is a bonus. I was surprised that that is the goal even right after surgery!

I lost 15 pounds on my two week pre-op diet. I lost 15 pounds my first month post-op. Then another 15 the second month. And another 15 each, months 3 & 4. Slowed down to around 10 after that. I was also disappointed with my weight loss that first month, but boy did it add up quick. I am a bit shy of 7 months post-op and a bit shy of my first goal weight.

Just stick with the plan, and be kind to yourself! 💕

Weight loss varies for everyone, but I have seen/read from 10 to 12 is average . 15 lbs. is great! Remember your body is going thru a lot of adjustments. Be patient and follow the plan. You are doing GREAT! 😃

I also lost 16 lbs the first month, and I was heavier than you are. And yes - your expectations are too high. Most of us seem to lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month. Of course, you'll always find outliers, but they are the exception. I think people's expectations are shaped by shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to remember that the people on that show start out MUCH heavier than your average WLS patient. And the more you have to lose, the faster it goes - or at least at first. You are fine. You're within the average range!

I lost 16 pounds in my first two weeks and have lost nothing since (29 days later). I am losing inches though, did you do before/during measurements?

Hi Suzy, I agree with what others have said. Also, I noticed you said you hardly eat anything. Make sure you know from your nutritionist how many calories and Protein you should consume daily. Not enough can slow or stall weight loss.

Thank you for the reassurance. I wasn't basing my expectations on 600lb life, but on info from this site and others like it. I am eating, and generally making my Protein goals etc. I just so often feel kinda pukey when I eat, drink, or take my meds that I struggle with making myself do it. I'm still learning to sip and space out my meals adequately. These technical details are a lot harder than I was expecting- I was not a big bite person anyway, but I could sit and eat a meal without it getting cold by the time I was done. Just more learning curve.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/weight-loss-surgery/after-weight-loss-surgery-the-first-30-days#:~:text=But it tends to be,20% loss of excess weight.

1 hour ago, Suzi_the_Q said:

Thank you for the reassurance. I wasn't basing my expectations on 600lb life, but on info from this site and others like it. I am eating, and generally making my Protein goals etc. I just so often feel kinda pukey when I eat, drink, or take my meds that I struggle with making myself do it. I'm still learning to sip and space out my meals adequately. These technical details are a lot harder than I was expecting- I was not a big bite person anyway, but I could sit and eat a meal without it getting cold by the time I was done. Just more learning curve.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/weight-loss-surgery/after-weight-loss-surgery-the-first-30-days#:~:text=But it tends to be,20% loss of excess weight.

re: that article - I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for six years. I've never seen anyone lose 15 lbs a week. Maybe 5 lbs a week for the first two or three months. I never lost that much, though. I was 16 lbs the first month, maybe 12 or 13 for the next two months, and then gradually down from there...

2 hours ago, Suzi_the_Q said:

I think it’s a typo & should be 15-25 pounds a month not a week as it says on the website. Even people on My 600 Pound Life don’t lose 100 pounds a month. When they get down to the 200s they’re told they’ll be losing about 15 pounds a month.

You’re doing well. Celebrate every pound you lose.

Good luck.

If you lose a lot weight in the few weeks before weight loss surgery it very likely you won't lose as much as someone who doesn't have a strict pre-op liquid diet. All that Fluid retention/bloat etc has already gone before surgery.

That said you are doing great, everyone is different, some will have lost less than you in the first month and others will have lost more. As long as you are following your post op guidelines all is good.

i just want to report that i have finally seen some weight loss!! I am 16 days post gastric by pass

for the first week i weighed more post op than on the day of surgery

have now lost 11 lbs which i guess is ok .My calori e intakei s 450daily ,70 grm Protein and 2-3 litres of water

have no problem eating but i have devloped a haematoma at the main incision site ,it is swollen and painful if I walk too much but doctor says it should re absorb on its own

So to anyone else like myself who gets a bit of a fright when they come out of hospital weighing more than when they go in ,just to let you know it comes off eventually. I guess the thing to remember is that this surgery is not a magic bullet. You still have to restrict your, intake and ensure adequate protein intake, the best result for me from the surgery so far is that I am not hungry at all and I can only tolerate small amounts of food at a time . So good luck everybody in your journey and success to us all,we have done a brave thing and we will make it!!