Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I’m actually purchasing jeans for the first time in years- like you billho I had forgotten they could actually be comfortable when you’re not trying to push this extra 100lbs into them. Who could have guessed, right?

yep. It's been a long time since jeans were comfortable.

I have huge bins up in my attic ranging in sizes 2XL, 18/20 (my biggest size) to size Large. I am currently wearing medium. I was glad I saved all my clothes over the years. I was up & down in weight. I was so happy when I went thru the bins to find bras that were able to get me from there to about a month ago. I did however, skip a size on this weight loss journey. I recently tried on some shirts that I bought in a size Large and they are already to big. I am pissed because I never even got to wear them, and they were brand new. Oh well...in the bins they go.

My only regret is that a couple years ago I donated bags and bags of 2x clothes because I never thought I would get down to that size again. I am in that size right now and could be using those!
Seriously though, I have been getting rid of all my 4 and 5x clothes. I have a few things that ran small that I'm still wearing but I have given most of it to my best friend and the rest to Goodwill.
Even if the worst case scenario were to happen and I gain all my weight back, I'll just have to buy new clothes. [emoji2368]

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know where you all are keeping all these different sizes of clothes... I had to get rid of all my old clothes each time they got too small or too big because I have just one moderately-sized closet in my bedroom. I don't even have that many clothes and they all fit about a 50lb range because they're all knitwear, since I travel all the time (er... until COIVD).

This is what happens when you live alone in a high cost of living area. When I watch HGTV I feel like the kitchen in those houses could eat my apartment for an amuse bouche.

As I was losing weight the last time, I signed up for a clothing rental service and rented clothes in progressively smaller sizes.

I think I am going to save my jeans and athletic wear. I have been up and down with my weight so many times and Those things, along with underthings I always seem to wear again even years down the road where my tastes seem to change and I do not really like the shirts with the exception of a few favorites. Plus, for me, the jeans and athletic wear are the name brand expensive stuff and most tops are not. I will purge and save a smaller portion though.

As you and others have said, I've donated many times as my weight has fluctuated and had to replace items. I'm a plus size petite with an apple-shaped body. It's difficult to find flattering options in tops, and bottoms but when I do, I buy multiples in different colors. I worked in retail for years and have a good sense of what works well for me. We had a 3-piece dress code rule that was a jacket/cardigan, conservative top, (no boobies), and pants/ skirts. I guess it stuck with me because I dress plainly and not trendy. I could easily pull out my old clothes as I size down and be ready to go. I usually wear straight-leg jeans, ponte knit pants, turtlenecks, (I have a neck scar) boatneck tops, long sleeve crew neck tees, and basic but well-fitting cardigans in neutrals like, black and gray. I've been grateful for those times when I've found barely worn tops in my size by someone who obviously just cleaned out their closet. When that happens, It feels like a gift. This time as I lose weight I will be donating because I'm optimistic and hopeful won't ever need those sizes again and it'll feel good to help someone else out.

Coming up on 3 months after my initial post on this topic. I just went through my closet and drawers a third time. With the exception of one shirt, everything is gone. It's almost to the point where my newer smaller clothes are getting too big. This is crazy fun but also scary. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but either way, I'm grateful to have this "problem"

In the past when I've lost weight I've been determined not to grow back into my old clothes so I've gotten rid of them... then it's been too depressing to keep the smaller clothes when I gained the weight back, so I got rid of those, too. Also, since I have so little storage space, keeping all those sizes would have been impossible.

I have had to resize rings, which I feel are worth keeping since they cost money and don't take up much space.

2 hours ago, David_L said:

This is crazy fun but also scary. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but either way, I'm grateful to have this "problem"

It does make sense congrats on your progress.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I have huge bins up in my attic ranging in sizes 2XL, 18/20 (my biggest size) to size Large. I am currently wearing medium. I was glad I saved all my clothes over the years. I was up & down in weight. I was so happy when I went thru the bins to find bras that were able to get me from there to about a month ago. I did however, skip a size on this weight loss journey. I recently tried on some shirts that I bought in a size Large and they are already to big. I am pissed because I never even got to wear them, and they were brand new. Oh well...in the bins they go.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who kept their bras. My husband encouraged me to get rid of them a couple of years ago and now, I'm so glad I didn't. I have mostly Wacoals in lots of sizes and it'd be a small fortune to replace them all. Skipping sizes and missing out on the chance to wear certain tops is a good reminder for me to pull some of the sizes out before I skip over them too.

6 minutes ago, DoodlesMom said:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who kept their bras. My husband encouraged me to get rid of them a couple of years ago and now, I'm so glad I didn't. I have mostly Wacoals in lots of sizes and it'd be a small fortune to replace them all. Skipping sizes and missing out on the chance to wear certain tops is a good reminder for me to pull some of the sizes out before I skip over them too.

Ooh I absolutely saved my bras and I am also so glad that I did.

2 hours ago, David_L said:

It's almost to the point where my newer smaller clothes are getting too big.

Yes, I've found this too! Semi retired and at home a lot during lockdown I've managed largely with very casual clothes and it doesn't really matter if things are a bit big on me. Some of the clothes I had from before I put on weight were not very flattering when I tried them again, so I bought some new things a couple of months ago - they're now getting loose. It's a nice problem to have but as I'm only a couple of pounds from my goal weight, I really can't wait to stabilise my weight and get into a maintenance mode.

I've also been buying and selling some clothes on ebay which has worked well so far.

I have already gone into my smaller bra (I only have one that fits now, so I also wear the two that are too big), and I'm only down 27lbs. I gave up on underwires years ago. The wires kept breaking and stabbing me. Does that get better when you are thinner?

Just now, lizonaplane said:

I have already gone into my smaller bra (I only have one that fits now, so I also wear the two that are too big), and I'm only down 27lbs. I gave up on underwires years ago. The wires kept breaking and stabbing me. Does that get better when you are thinner?

I had that issue when I was thinner too. I was told I wasn’t getting the right style bra and they helped me find one that it doesn’t do that.

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

I had that issue when I was thinner too. I was told I wasn’t getting the right style bra and they helped me find one that it doesn’t do that.

I have tried that. I went to a special website and wrote in all my issues, and I still hated the bras that were recommended. I think I just hate wearing bras but it's uncomfortable not to.