Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Regret Their surgery

Hi Everyone,

I'm 3 days post-op and it's been really rough so far. I've been throwing up constantly. And can't seem to keep anything down. I hate to say it but I'm having regrets about getting this surgery done. It also seems like my family doesn't support me all I've been hearing from them is how stupid my choice of going through with it was. Did anyone else feel this way after?

the first few days and weeks post-surgery can be rough, and "buyer's remorse" is common. But...most of us get through that stage and are happy with our decision to have surgery. I have no regrets at all other than I wish I'd done it 20 years ago.

btw - let your clinic know about the vomiting. Maybe they can prescribe Zofran or something similar.

Edited by catwoman7

Just now, catwoman7 said:

the first few days and weeks post-surgery can be rough, and "buyer's remorse" is common. But...most of us get through that stage and are happy with our decision to have surgery. I have no regrets at all other than I wish I'd done it 20 years ago.

What she said. I definitely had some doubts in the first few weeks, which were very unpleasant. Nearly two years on, I'm thrilled with the decision and also wish I had done it decades earler.

the first couple of weeks are usually rough until you get more comfortable with the adjustment. Often drinking too fast, sometimes cold bothers people, sometimes hot bothers people etc. Your body will slowly adjust. I promise, It will not always be like this. There will also be another adjustment when you go back to eating also. Eventually it does get better as both your habits and your body adjust. Hang in there it will get better and be worth it. Hugs!

2 hours ago, Navi said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm 3 days post-op and it's been really rough so far. I've been throwing up constantly. And can't seem to keep anything down. I hate to say it but I'm having regrets about getting this surgery done. It also seems like my family doesn't support me all I've been hearing from them is how stupid my choice of going through with it was. Did anyone else feel this way after?

Well, we are here for you. It sucks that you don't feel you have the support you need right now.

That being said: you did this for you. We only get one life. One chance to be here. Your purpose is not to make others happy by keeping yourself down; it's to be a positive soul that radiates good things - and so much more. That all starts with taking care of yourself, how else can you take care of others, really?

On the vomiting, definitely give your surgeon's office a call. It's probably just your body freaking out about the changes (it's major surgery, after all), but a call definitely is in order to make sure you're ok.

I learned a good trick from someone else on here if you ever face people saying negative things about your surgery: try to not fall for the temptation to defend your choice. Instead, ask them if they have negative experiences with WLS that affect how they see it? If there's something about WLS that makes them annoyed? This shuts down the attack immediately, and shows you're not someone they can just attack willy-nilly.

Keep checking in here, ok?

Sorry, I wasn't done. I have get off my chest that I find it completely out of line to attack someone just out of literally life-saving surgery. I know you're dealing with a ton of physical stuff right now, but I need to say that that's not okay, and they're the ones with a problem. Not you.

I questioned myself over whether I'd made the right choice for like the first week or two. I'm a year out now and like most I just wish now that I'd done this sooner. I can't imagine how hard it is to know that you don't have anyone behind you as support, but you did this for YOU! Putting yourself first is a difficult thing to do, but once you're able to get past the first few weeks I believe you'll feel better about your choice. As it stands, I'd call your surgeon about the vomiting issue. You may just need some anti-nausea meds, but better safe then sorry to call them and ask about the vomiting. The difficult beginning will pass! I hope you get to feeling better soon, and I wish you the best in your journey!

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

Hi Everyone,

I am actually 5 days post op myself and it was pretty rough for me as well. I had so much pain the first couple of days and I threw up a lot. I honestly regretted the decision for a few days. My doctor prescribed me some anti nausea medication, which worked wonders and I started getting up and moving every chance I got. Its now like night and day. Its amazing how quickly our bodies can recover. I still have some pain, and I miss food but I just remind myself that there is something I want so much more than that. I'm sorry you don't have a good support group at home but you have a support group here. It will get better! One day it will be a distant memory and you will be so glad you did it. Feel free to reach out any time you need some support. Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-T500 using BariatricPal mobile app

It will get easier day by day. You will find your self questioning your self thru out this amazing journey. I love food? I miss eating.. Is my only 2nd thought. Stay positive. Get a sippy cup..learn how to take very small apps.. Stay positive.

11 hours ago, Navi said:

It also seems like my family doesn't support me all I've been hearing from them is how stupid my choice of going through with it was. Did anyone else feel this way after?

My sister and a very close friend were both very nasty about my decision to get surgery and tried to talk me out of it. Instead of being supportive when things were so unpleasant right after my surgery, their attitude was basically "I told you so." The relationship with my friend never fully recovered, and my sister is still very negative about my surgery, constantly saying that it must be terrible that I can no longer "enjoy life" because I can't eat some things. (I enjoy life more than ever, thank you very much.)

Both of them are quite overweight themselves, and my guess is that they are threatened and a bit envious that I've made such positive changes. However, I don't really care. I refuse to let their negativity get me down. I had the surgery for me, for my health and for a better quality of life as I age--and I know I made the right decision.

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

My sister and a very close friend were both very nasty about my decision to get surgery and tried to talk me out of it. Instead of being supportive when things were so unpleasant right after my surgery, their attitude was basically "I told you so." The relationship with my friend never fully recovered, and my sister is still very negative about my surgery, constantly saying that it must be terrible that I can no longer "enjoy life" because I can't eat some things. (I enjoy life more than ever, thank you very much.)

Both of them are quite overweight themselves, and my guess is that they are threatened and a bit envious that I've made such positive changes. However, I don't really care. I refuse to let their negativity get me down. I had the surgery for me, for my health and for a better quality of life as I age--and I know I made the right decision.

Color me naïve, but I'm truly horrified by how people behave around this.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:52 PM, catwoman7 said:

btw - let your clinic know about the vomiting. Maybe they can prescribe Zofran or something similar.

Thanks, I hope this stage doesn't last too long! I let them know and they think it is an upset stomach

On 1/27/2021 at 6:08 PM, Changingmylife2020 said:

the first couple of weeks are usually rough until you get more comfortable with the adjustment. Often drinking too fast, sometimes cold bothers people, sometimes hot bothers people etc. Your body will slowly adjust. I promise, It will not always be like this. There will also be another adjustment when you go back to eating also. Eventually it does get better as both your habits and your body adjust. Hang in there it will get better and be worth it. Hugs!

So far drinking Water has been going well. Thank you for your insight it's just the pick me up I needed

5 hours ago, SunshineBaby said:

I am so sorry you are going through this. Just so you know, is strangers support you! But maybe you should go to your support groups. I’m sure you can benefit from them.

Thank you. I feel like being on this site really helps me, all the positivity makes me want to push through the tough parts even more.