Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone get chronic stomach pain?

My surgeon told me that 20% of RNY patients suffer from chronic stomach pain with no found cause. This is putting me off the RNY but I have to have it as I can’t have the sleeve because of GERD. Anyone had this problem? I’m not seeing anything anywhere!

Nope. The only time I get stomach pain is when I eat too much sugar or fried food. If I follow plan no issues on my side.

Lori

I've never heard that, and I've been hanging out on this and other boards for about six years.

if you have GERD, you really should seriously consider RNY. Sleeve can make that worse. That's the reason I went with RNY...

I just did a quick google search. It said abdominal pain can be common (I didn't see anything about stomachs per se, though). I do get that occasionally. Mine is usually related to Constipation (which is very common - with both surgeries, actually...)

Edited by catwoman7

Thank you, I am definitely leaving towards the RNY now because of the Gerd but also because I am happier with a more restrictive diet with the dumping, I'm worried I'd will do the wrong thing with the sleeve!

just so you know, only about 30% of us have true dumping (it seems like some people call any time they throw up "dumping", but that's not true dumping). I've never dumped - and a lot of us haven't. If you turn out to be a dumper, you can manage it by limiting or avoiding sugar and fats (which we all should be doing regardless!).

I've been really happy with my RNY -- one of the best decisions I've ever made!

8 hours ago, Shelleyvdp said:

Thank you, I am definitely leaving towards the RNY now because of the Gerd but also because I am happier with a more restrictive diet with the dumping, I'm worried I'd will do the wrong thing with the sleeve!

The dumping is brutal, but I agree with catwoman7... Only a minority of people get it. I dealt with it extremely badly twice (in one month), but if I am very careful about what I eat, its not a problem. If you do get it, work on finding your triggers and avoid them. I got RNY because of GERD and it is amazing not to have to deal with it anymore.

Random stomach pain I get is usually always solved with extra Fiber or gas relief. I have noticed that what I would consider constipated before is different than now, (TMI sorry) if I don't have a bowel movement at least once daily I get abdominal pain from it. Weird yes, but that's the new normal.