Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am 10 weeks post-op for gastric bypass; performed on November 9, 2020. I have lost a total of 47 lbs. I have a few concerns. For the past two weeks I haven't been able to eat anything without being in excruciating pain. They also removed a Hiatal hernia during my surgery. I never knew I had a hernia, it didn't bother me, and now I'm really hurting. I usually end up making myself vomit when I eat something just to alleviate the pain. My concerns are, am I losing weight because of the surgery, or because I'm unable to eat, or drink. I threw up just after drinking a Protein Shake and was in pain for hours. I'm ok as long as I don't eat anything, but I don't want to become mal-nutritioned. I take my Vitamins daily, but.... I need to get some nutrition. I saw my Dr on Thursday and he has ordered an endoscopy to see if my tube has become constricted (narrowed). If so, they'll open it back up. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, please advise.

I think he was talking about a stricture. It's caused by overgrown scar tissue. Yes - I had one. They stretched it out during the endoscopy, and I was 100% better afterward. About 5% of RNY patients experience strictures - they almost always occur 1-3 months after surgery. They're very rare after that.

Edited by catwoman7

Thank you. Yes that’s what I meant, stricture. Just glad to know I’m not alone. I was starting to regret the surgery in a big way

9 minutes ago, Del Renee said:

Thank you. Yes that’s what I meant, stricture. Just glad to know I’m not alone. I was starting to regret the surgery in a big way

it's a minor complication, and easily fixable. You'll feel differently after it's been "fixed".

13 hours ago, Del Renee said:

Hi, I am 10 weeks post-op for gastric bypass; performed on November 9, 2020. I have lost a total of 47 lbs. I have a few concerns. For the past two weeks I haven't been able to eat anything without being in excruciating pain. They also removed a Hiatal hernia during my surgery. I never knew I had a hernia, it didn't bother me, and now I'm really hurting. I usually end up making myself vomit when I eat something just to alleviate the pain. My concerns are, am I losing weight because of the surgery, or because I'm unable to eat, or drink. I threw up just after drinking a Protein Shake and was in pain for hours. I'm ok as long as I don't eat anything, but I don't want to become mal-nutritioned. I take my Vitamins daily, but.... I need to get some nutrition. I saw my Dr on Thursday and he has ordered an endoscopy to see if my tube has become constricted (narrowed). If so, they'll open it back up. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, please advise.

Yes I’ve experienced a stricture also. If it is a structure they will use a balloon like tool to widen it during the Endoscopy. Easy, no pain and a minor procedure.
Good Luck ❤️

I've been having the same issues with food over the past week or so... I'm seven weeks post op (VSG) & probably still a bit conservative with the things I eat.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this...

On 1/24/2021 at 8:30 AM, catwoman7 said:

it's a minor complication, and easily fixable. You'll feel differently after it's been "fixed".

Thank you. I get it fixe 2/2/2021 (Tuesday) Yay!!