Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your surgeon say? Always best to follow their instructions and call them if you are not sure. My surgeon’s office encouraged me to drink caffeine starting around day 10 to help with Constipation. 😊

I waited about six months and then started drinking regular coffee. My morning cup (with skim milk and Splenda) has become one of my great joys!

1 hour ago, amyseattle said:

Oh how I miss my coffee. I am one week post op. When did you start drinking Decaf again?

Oh you are in Canberra, I am on the Gold Coast. If you go to Coles, they have an Avalanche Caramel Latte. Very low in calories and might be a little gentler on your tummy. I have one a day, and I also drink black coffee (the Robert Timms bags) and I am day 18 post surgery. No issues at all.

I would probably get a thermal cup when you first start on coffee though, and take it super slowly to see how your belly reacts.

surgeons are literally all over the board with this one. Mine let us drink Decaf at like three or four weeks out, I think - and regular at six months out.

Mine said I could have regular coffee at 3 weeks post-op, but he is one of the few surgeons who think caffeine apparently. I drink mostly Decaf though. I drink coffee ALL day long -- it is the only way I can get my fluids in.

16 hours ago, amyseattle said:

Ok wow - he said Decaf after a month!

One thing you will learn quickly is that there is such a HUGE variation of instructions given to post-oppers. With that said, I was having Decaf in my Protein Shakes as soon as I got home, and drinking good-ole-regular coffee by 1 month.

Agreed. My surgeon said Decaf for 6 months, but when I whined explained about how much I miss my morning coffee and that decaf (which he allowed in the hospital) was not cutting it, he gave me permission to have one to two "not too hot" cups of regular coffee each day. I mix mine with Premier Protein Caramel or Fairlife vanilla (about 1/3 of a serving) and collagen Peptides to get a major Protein boost first thing in the morning.

I’m a little over 2 weeks post op and I’m allowed Decaf. Has caused me no issues

I had a nonfat latte with one shot in it three days post op. Once I was able to drink larger amounts of liquid I restarted my morning latte (two shots of espresso and steamed fairlife milk). A few days a week I have a cup of black coffee in the afternoon as well. I’m 2.5 months postop.

Never any issues, helps me get my Protein in, and is my big “treat” per day. My MD never really had an issue with coffee one way or the other- or if he did I must have blocked that messaging out or something haha.

Doc said nothing about coffee. I tried a small white coffee within the first week and it was all ok. I'm now back to my 2 to 3 cups a day.

Be careful, caffeine is a diuretic meaning you pee more which takes moisture from your body . I would only drink coffee on days I exceeded my target liquid intake.

26 minutes ago, Neensyb said:

Doc said nothing about coffee. I tried a small white coffee within the first week and it was all ok. I'm now back to my 2 to 3 cups a day.

Be careful, caffeine is a diuretic meaning you pee more which takes moisture from your body . I would only drink coffee on days I exceeded my target liquid intake.

It really seems like it should, but there's a lot of studies coming out saying coffee really isn't making anyone dehydrated. I agree Water is the best option, still, but maybe this is good news for more people? :)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Edited by Guest

On 01/26/2021 at 13:59, OAGBPal said:

It really seems like it should, but there's a lot of studies coming out saying coffee really isn't making anyone dehydrated. I agree Water is the best option, still, but maybe this is good news for more people? :)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Thank you and yes, it will never dehydrate me especially since I manage to drink 64oz of Water a day!

On 01/22/2021 at 08:21, ms.sss said:

One thing you will learn quickly is that there is such a HUGE variation of instructions given to post-oppers. With that said, I was having Decaf in my Protein Shakes as soon as I got home, and drinking good-ole-regular coffee by 1 month.

I can’t make sense of the differing opinions between surgeons- maybe if an individual had a particular condition there have to be exceptions. I just want my coffee! 😉