Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stall + Hair Loss = Depression

Good morning all,

My last post (about a month ago) was about Hair loss, a major stall, and some female issues. A month later, and nothing has changed, except maybe getting worse. The female issues are *hopefully* being addressed at an appointment next week, though I'm not sure what will happen. I'm still stuck at 181 and have been for almost two months. At one point, I got down to 178 for a few days, but I suddenly shot back up to 184 and have been bouncing between 180-183 forever now. It's SO depressing! My hair is falling out at a rapid pace. I know this is a common side effect, but I wasn't prepared for it to be this bad. I literally now have small, nearly bald Patches and the texture of existing hair is like fine straw. 😞 Not only that, but it doesn't seem my hair is growing at all. I had it colored two weeks before Christmas, and no new growth is visible. My surgeon's staff keeps telling me I need to be better about getting my Protein in, and I need to stick to three meals and no Snacks meals. Well, that's difficult for me. Even a tiny meal takes me forever to eat...can't tell you the last time I finished a hot - or even warm - meal. And I feel like I get far less protein in. I find I do better eating small snacks throughout the day. Snacks include mini cucumbers, raw bell peppers, string cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, a couple of slices of low-sodium lunchmeat, tuna pouches, V8 juice, Builders Bars, beef Jerky, etc. I add Unjury powder (yuck!) to just about everything. I've also tried to make sure everything is SF and low sodium. When possible, I eat lots of chicken & fish, but I'm getting super tired of those things. I've come to realize I no longer enjoy food, whatsoever. I don't miss junk food (not that I ever really ate much of that anyway), but I miss going to a restaurant and ordering a meal to enjoy with my family. I take a couple of bites and am done - such a waste. My husband is a great cook, and I miss the meals he makes...I can't finish even the smallest filet, can only have a few bites of salmon, etc. I feel terrible when he cooks a beautiful, healthy meal and I can only have a few small bites. Anyway, sorry for the long post...just having a mini pity party for myself today.

Hi ,

I am a newbie still but I 'll share my input.

Dont be depressed, you ve made alot of progress from what I can see in ur stats.

My hair is thinning too at the middle parting and more hair falls out when I wash out. I am expecting it to get worse at some point so. I dont think we can do much but let it run its course .

I havent stalled yet but my weight loss is a bit slow. So I am taking a more Keto approach, having Protein Shakes and salads more. Keto might help you but general advice is to stick to your plan until the stall breaks.

1 hour ago, dal101 said:

Hi ,

I am a newbie still but I 'll share my input.

Dont be depressed, you ve made alot of progress from what I can see in ur stats.

My hair is thinning too at the middle parting and more hair falls out when I wash out. I am expecting it to get worse at some point so. I dont think we can do much but let it run its course .

I havent stalled yet but my weight loss is a bit slow. So I am taking a more Keto approach, having Protein Shakes and salads more. Keto might help you but general advice is to stick to your plan until the stall breaks.

Thank you. I can't help but be depressed. There are other things going on in my life (work & family) that are contributing factors, so this mess with my stall & my hair doesn't help. I feel like if I had a full head of hair (which was thin & fine, to begin with!) and was continuing to lose weight, it might help and feel like progress. I'm trying to stick to things as best as I can, but when the surgical staff says "stop snacking, only eat meals", it's hard! I just can't do it. I get stomachaches easily and do better with frequent Snacks. I'm pretty much on a keto diet as it is. I just hope this stall breaks quickly... I have 50lb to go to get to my goal. Even if I don't fully reach it, I want to get close.

I’m really sorry you are experiencing all this! It sucks and you have every right to feel crappy! I would try to follow what your surgeon says but if you need to throw a “snack” in there, I think if you are staying within your macros without grazing all day, then the snack is fine.

As for the Hair loss, I have no advice besides I’m so sorry. This is something I’m so nervous about myself. I have PCOS, and have been losing my hair for a couple years, so I’m very concerned how much worse it will get. I already have an area that’s very thin and I’m afraid it will push it to a bald spot. I keep trying to remind myself that it is temporary! It WILL grow back. Though I know it’s hard to keep telling yourself that.

You have done such a great job getting to where you are at. Keep pushing along!! You have made such great strides already! Hugs.

6 hours ago, dal101 said:

Watch Keto during weight loss because of its high fat requirement. My cholesterol levels went up a lot & my liver function went hay wire while I was losing weight even though I was eating low fat. All the bad cholesterol I had stored in my fat was being released into my blood stream as I was losing. Once I stopped losing my cholesterol levels dropped back to normal.

My recommended pre surgery diet was keto (2 1/2 weeks only) but there’s no way I’d use it again because of the high fat - I don’t enjoy fatty foods at all.

not getting your Protein in is going to make Hair loss worse. Do whatever you can to keep on top of your protein requirements.

P.S. Not enjoying food is common the first few months post-op. That actually helps A LOT - it's way easier to lose weight when you're rarely (or never) hungry and don't give a flip about food. For the vast majority of us, all that returns sometime during the first year.

Edited by catwoman7

On 1/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, LAJ23 said:

Good morning all,

My last post (about a month ago) was about Hair loss, a major stall, and some female issues. A month later, and nothing has changed, except maybe getting worse. The female issues are *hopefully* being addressed at an appointment next week, though I'm not sure what will happen. I'm still stuck at 181 and have been for almost two months. At one point, I got down to 178 for a few days, but I suddenly shot back up to 184 and have been bouncing between 180-183 forever now. It's SO depressing! My hair is falling out at a rapid pace. I know this is a common side effect, but I wasn't prepared for it to be this bad. I literally now have small, nearly bald Patches and the texture of existing hair is like fine straw. 😞 Not only that, but it doesn't seem my hair is growing at all. I had it colored two weeks before Christmas, and no new growth is visible. My surgeon's staff keeps telling me I need to be better about getting my Protein in, and I need to stick to three meals and no Snacks meals. Well, that's difficult for me. Even a tiny meal takes me forever to eat...can't tell you the last time I finished a hot - or even warm - meal. And I feel like I get far less Protein in. I find I do better eating small Snacks throughout the day. Snacks include mini cucumbers, raw bell peppers, string cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, a couple of slices of low-sodium lunchmeat, tuna pouches, V8 juice, Builders Bars, beef Jerky, etc. I add Unjury powder (yuck!) to just about everything. I've also tried to make sure everything is SF and low sodium. When possible, I eat lots of chicken & fish, but I'm getting super tired of those things. I've come to realize I no longer enjoy food, whatsoever. I don't miss junk food (not that I ever really ate much of that anyway), but I miss going to a restaurant and ordering a meal to enjoy with my family. I take a couple of bites and am done - such a waste. My husband is a great cook, and I miss the meals he makes...I can't finish even the smallest filet, can only have a few bites of salmon, etc. I feel terrible when he cooks a beautiful, healthy meal and I can only have a few small bites. Anyway, sorry for the long post...just having a mini pity party for myself today.

At 6 months out since Gastric Bypass, I started my Hair loss at the start of December.
Currently taking just for hair loss-

collagen, Biotin, Iron.

After talking with my doctor last Tuesday, she told me my iron intake needed to be increased to 50mg up to 100mg per day.and to watch for Constipation.

We also spoke about meals, currently at about 65-85 grams of protein per day.

I add protein to practically every thing I eat. I use GENEPRO, it can be added to tea and coffee as well as hot and cold foods. It is flavorless and has helped tremendously keeping my protein Intake up. I buy mine on the Bariatric Pal Store.

I am due to get some labs this week so I am curious about my Vitamin and mineral numbers.

Also, I have been discouraged due to the hair loss and the slow down of weight loss. However the doctor told me it is very normal at this stage to slow down losing. That was incredibly reassuring☺️

TLDR;Key takeaways-

more protein, more Water and check your iron intake.

Good luck. ❤️

Edited by KarmaNina
Misspelling