Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So....I have a confession. I have been lurking on other (not to be named) sites trying to get as much information I can fit into my brain before my surgery date next month. To say I have a fear of the unknown is an understatement. Anyway, I stumbled upon some really abrasive views about WLS ... not a complete surprise ... and unfortunately found myself sucked in by the negativity. It is amazing how truly offensive/offended people can be about WLS. That isn’t what really threw me for a loop as I was expecting most of the attitudes, but what really made me pause was a post referring to WLS as ‘elective’ and shaming those who undergo the surgery as selfish during the current pandemic. One of the people to comment and agree with these sentiments was a nurse - or at least claimed to be.

I know that it is 100% hogwash (like most of what was spouted on the site) this will without a doubt be a life saving operation for me, but curiosity is niggling the back of my brain. Just wondering if anyone has received any backlash for moving forward with surgery during this time?

Ok. I dont want to offend in any way, but technically WLS is elective surgery.

But even with that said, the decision is up to the hospital (and maybe even your state?) to perform elective surgeries. If the facility and surgeon deem it safe to perform, then it is safe to perform! If it wasn’t, then they wouldn’t.

I hope any decision you make to go thru (or not) with the surgery is based on your own feelings on the matter, and NOT from some judgy-mcJudger who slaps on a “selfish” label and presumes to know better than your surgical team/hospital.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

Technically, any surgery not done emergently to save your life is classified as "elective." I could live without having my cataract surgery but I'd be blind. I could live without my hip replacement but I couldn't walk. So yes, technically WLS is elective, but necessary, to restore health as the one's named restore health.

I am also a nurse and work with several nurses who have had WLS. We all agree it's one of the best decisions we ever made. The decision is only up to you! Don't let anyone else influence your decision!

I have only had support from people that know about my surgery. What they may be saying behind my back doesn't matter.

No matter what you do, there will be someone who thinks you shouldn't. Just live your life the best that you can. Good luck with your surgery!

Please ignore the naysayers, do not even engage with them, its a bit a like religion and politics, we aren't going to change their stance and they aren't going to change our stance.

There will be some who believe we should be open and tell our weight loss surgeries to all and sundry, be an advocate for it. That is not our responsibility, our responsibility is to our own well being, and if that means keeping it private to ourselves and/or trusted family or friends so be it.

My weight loss surgery and nearly 4 stone weight loss so far means that I am considerably less likely to require intensive medical intervention if I contract Covid, so reducing the potential burden on hospitals. It has also meant that I have come out of the diabetic level which I was just about in, again reducing potential healthcare demands. Elective surgery can save lives. Some people are just unpleasant and probably at the moment don't have anything better to do than troll others online. Just ignore them!

Just ignore the ignorant and mean people. This is my wallet my life and my decision So if you do not like it Good! That is what I tell the haters of the world. Chances are they are overweight underinsured and jealous

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I hope any decision you make to go thru (or not) with the surgery is based on your own feelings on the matter, and NOT from some judgy-mcJudger who slaps on a “selfish” label and presumes to know better than your surgical team/hospital.

Good Luck! ❤️

Oh, indeed! I am certainly going in with my own feelings/research and you are right...there are WAAAY too many judgy-mcjudgers out there. I think it is just a form of ignorance, unfortunately.

I was just really wondering if anyone had experienced this recently when they went in for surgery, but again, you are right... it really doesn't matter.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Technically, any surgery not done emergently to save your life is classified as "elective." I could live without having my cataract surgery but I'd be blind. I could live without my hip replacement but I couldn't walk. So yes, technically WLS is elective, but necessary, to restore health as the one's named restore health.

Thank you for this! You are 100% correct! I hope you don't mind, but if this subject happens to come up...I am going to quote you! This is perfect!!

2 hours ago, bufbills said:

No matter what you do, there will be someone who thinks you shouldn't. Just live your life the best that you can. Good luck with your surgery!

Well... isn't that the absolute truth. There will be people out there who will not stop at judging me for being overweight, yet at the same time they will judge me for taking steps to help in correcting the issue. Sometimes you just can't win with that certain sub-set of people. So, yes! Live your life the best you can.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Please ignore the naysayers, do not even engage with them, its a bit a like religion and politics, we aren't going to change their stance and they aren't going to change our stance.

Indeed. You are right, but sometimes it takes a thicker hide than I have to turn the other cheek. But, knowing that they are speaking from ignorance should help... crossing fingers...

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Deb9386 said:

Elective surgery can save lives. Some people are just unpleasant and probably at the moment don't have anything better to do than troll others online. Just ignore them!

Yes! I am sure that with the events of this past year with COVID, the troll population has exploded exponentially! Ha. Will try to avoid these posts as best as I can and hope that I do not have hospital personnel who feel the same...

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Just ignore the ignorant and mean people. This is my wallet my life and my decision So if you do not like it Good! That is what I tell the haters of the world. Chances are they are overweight underinsured and jealous

I hope to one day be this confident. Thank you for giving me a goal to shoot for! Again, crossing my fingers that the hospital staff do not include any of the ignorant/mean population...

Thank you!

that's crazy. People who are having elective surgery aren't selfish. If the hospitals are full or don't think it's safe for you to have it done at some particular time, they'll postpone it. If they have the space and feel it's safe to do it, they'll go ahead and do it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with a patient being "selfish". Sheesh!

16 hours ago, TreeTrunks said:

One of the people to comment and agree with these sentiments was a nurse - or at least claimed to be.

Why not? Could very well be a nurse - there are truckloads of fat phobic nurses and doctors out there.

Regarding elective surgeries: hospitals postponing too many elective surgeries, i. e. anything that's not classified as immediate emergency, run into financial troubles really soon.

Hospitals are much more hesitant than in spring to cancel elective surgeries and even back then they only did so because they absolutely had to.