Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, but rarely and I can't drink very much at a time- the carbonation doesn't sit well in my tiny stomach. When I do decide to drink a Diet Coke, which is maybe once a week, I let it sit for a while and go flat first. Even then, I only have a few sips and go slowly.

It's probably a good idea to avoid it altogether.

I don't drink diet soda, but I do drink carbonated Water. Alot of it.

Though sometimes I add a couple drops of sugar free "water enhancers" so I suppose technically it could be considered diet soda?

P.S. Full disclosure though: Not that I've never had ANY diet coke at all. In the past 2+ years since surgery, I probably had the equivalent of maybe 3-4 cans total.

I gave up soft drinks /sodas years ago. So no real change for me on that front. I gave them up because of the sugar (real & artificial) & because of the carbonation that gave me the most terrible, painful hiccups. I can’t burp so couldn’t release the gas.

The only carbonated drinks I have are soda or tonic Water (for my rare gin) or carbonated water. I let them sit for a while & let a lot of the bubbles dissipate. Plus I take a long time to drink them. If I drink them & they’re still too gassy, my restriction & the tightness kicks in.

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke. I mean, you would think there was actually cocaine in it, the way I was driven to seek the dopamine release it gave me. I would even dream about it. Once I quit, it took 3 full years before my car stopped trying to drive itself through the McDonald's drive-thru for a large size, dollar Diet Coke. The addiction is real! Anyway, for me this weight loss journey meant learning to live in a new and healthier way - for life. I had surgery for my health, so it made no sense to continue habits that were not healthy - not when I paid so much money for the surgery and made such sacrifices to lose the weight. That meant getting rid of the stuff that was not conducive to a healthy lifestyle, soda included. Any kind of soda is terrible on your teeth, bad for your surgical site, and even diet sodas can trigger insulin release that results in fat storage - not fat breakdown. Soda is also listed in the medical literature as one factor in the development of Fatty Liver Disease. I had fatty liver, and WLS gave me back a new, nonfatty one. So why in the world would I feed it soda again??? There are more than a few studies that show diet soda drinkers actually gain more weight than people who drink regular soda.

Anyway, I'm not trying to preach at anyone, but just asking folks to consider choosing the best and healthiest options for your new life, rather than flirting with foods and drinks that perhaps tripped you up in the first place, and that can hinder your long term success.

Yes, maybe like 1-2 times a month. I don’t crave it like I did preop. I feel like if I wanted to, I can go without it. I also didn’t have my first drink of Diet Coke until I was 1 year out.

I can't drink them because of the carbonation. I wish I could as I love diet coke.....😥

Yes Diet coke always have however I mix it for a little to get the air out - and drink it slow

Never.

I gave up carbonated beverages in the months before surgery and aside from an episode of genuine old-fashioned rootbeer envy in my first year, do not miss them. Not one single bit.

I do. I was able to drink carbonated drinks without a problem from a few months after surgery. And I went back to drinking diet coke.

I've recently tried to cut way back on it - none during the week, but allowed at weekends - because I had regained about 40 lbs and need to get rid of it. I don't know if Diet Coke contributed - my eating habits deteriorated, and that was the main reason for regain. But as others have said, there are many reasons other than calories Diet Coke is not good for health.

However, I was clear with myself when I had surgery that nothing was 'off the table' - my surgery was a tool, but I'm not someone who can do the whole 'I will never ever eat/drink this again'. Everything in moderation is where I need to get to. I haven't quite mastered it (hence the regain) but I am sure that that is still the right approach for me. I'd be miserable if I thought I'd never again have Diet Coke (or chocolate, fried chicken or any other foods that made me obese in the first place).

I crave sodas in general. What helps curb the cravings is carbonated Water - BUT BOY DO I BURP A STORM!

I tried to drink Diet Sprite or 7up. (not a black soda fan) and unfortunately, i couldn't. Tastes too sweet now.

So I stick to carbonated water and sometimes i add a tiny drop of some sort of Syrup to make it similar to a soda i guess.

However, I think like the rest of the replies ill be letting go of this soda habit as well *sad*. But hey that's why we all did these surgeries - to let go of bad habits that got us where we are today.

No, I've also given up all carbonated drinks. I haven't had a beer or soda in about 10 months. Honestly I really don't miss them.

Edited by mattk53

I've had some beer maybe twice in four months. Because I drink so slowly now, on both occasions, I had a few sips and by the time I came back to it, it was warm and unappealing. That's OK- I prefer my regular Gatorade Zero anyway.