Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Had Bypass This Morning, Need Advice

Hello all,

I have been out of surgery for about 6 hours, and I am just trying to navigate everything. Most of what they told me at the hospital was when I was too drugged up to comprehend it all. Firstly, I have been sleeping all day, but getting up to walk every 2 hours. How long do these mini walks to avoid blood clots need to last? Is it okay for me to continue sleeping while doing this until I am not tired anymore? I hardly got any sleep last night, because my brain was all over the place. I have also been almost vomiting, which just ends up being a burp. I can't really control it. Is that okay at this point? I am terrified of damaging anything. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello all,

I have been out of surgery for about 6 hours, and I am just trying to navigate everything. Most of what they told me at the hospital was when I was too drugged up to comprehend it all. Firstly, I have been sleeping all day, but getting up to walk every 2 hours. How long do these mini walks to avoid blood clots need to last? Is it okay for me to continue sleeping while doing this until I am not tired anymore? I hardly got any sleep last night, because my brain was all over the place. I have also been almost vomiting, which just ends up being a burp. I can't really control it. Is that okay at this point? I am terrified of damaging anything. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

you're fine. If you feel nauseated, let a nurse know - they can put something like Zofran in your IV line.

I don't remember being any particular time the mini-walks needed to last. I just made sure to get up and walk at least every few hours (well, every couple when I was awake)

The instructions I was given was to get up and walk 5 minutes every hour (except when sleeping obv) for the first week

I remember the walks lasting about 5 mins or a lap around the patient rooms.
If you’re still in the hospital don’t worry too much about trying to figure it all out on your own. Someone will give you more instructions when they know you’re lucid.
Congratulations ❤️

It will get a lot better each day. Walking is really good for your recovery for a lot of reasons. Keep it up. I think I was in the same mode for a couple of days sleeping whenever and not really having days or nights. Don't worry about it, follow what your body needs - rest. You will be out of the hospital soon and feeling normal within days.

Thank you all so much for the replies. I feel a lot better knowing this info. Also, I should have mentioned this is my post, but didn't think about it. My surgery was actually Outpatient, so I only spent about 5 hours in the hospital this morning and then got sent home. I think that has been the hardest part, just not having staff to turn to, but this community is amazing.

Thank you so much. I feel a lot better knowing this info. Also, I should have mentioned this is my post, but didn't think about it. My surgery was actually Outpatient, so I only spent about 5 hours in the hospital this morning and then got sent home. I think that has been the hardest part, just not having staff to turn to, but this community is amazing. [emoji846]

Although my surgery was not outpatient, sleep and rest are the most important things right now to recovery. Take the medicines that they prescribed you and sleep and walk when you can. Crushed ice may help as well if you are not able to take sips of Water. You will want to also stay hydrated so that you don't end up back in the ER in a few days from dehydration.

Don’t worry- you’re on the road to your new journey and it is a process. I am just six days out from my surgery so lets keep in touch. The walking not only helps alleviate the potential of blood clots, but also helps the anesthesia gas move through your body quicker. If it doesn’t move out fast, it hurts like hell, so you really do WANT to take the walks. Even if its just a walk up and down the hospital corridor, just power through. I am still nauseous and vomiting. I called my doc and I’m going in for an IV drip tomorrow, and I can’t wait. I have not been able to get even a fraction of the liquid down, so I’m extremely lethargic and have NO energy. I’m hoping the IV will help. You’re just one day out— not even one day. JUst keep communicating how you’re feeling, use this forum to gain support and know that there are so many people who have come through this with success. You got this! Try not to worry, just focus on how great you’re going to feel once you heal. Take care! :)

My answer is a bit late, but in general I think you should let your body tell you what it needs for the first few weeks. I took three weeks off from work after surgery and slept more than I ever thought possible. Yes, you should walk as much as you can, but don't get too fixated on a particular schedule. It's not the end of the world if you don't get your walking quota on a particular day. (I'll admit that I didn't walk nearly as much as I was supposed to for a couple of months, and things turned out fine for me.)