Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty with vomiting

Hi all:

I’m new here and wanted to join to find support and information on others’ experiences. I am five days out from surgery and I’m struggling with vomiting. Sorry to be gross, but I’m trying so hard to get my fluids down because I am deathly afraid I will get dehydrated. I am so thirsty- I wish I could chug an entire bottle of Water but obviously i cannot do that. I have tried sipping water with a spoon, sucking on ice chips- but every day I find myself extremely nauseous in the evening to the point where I throw up. Anyone have a similar experience? Will this subside or do I need to call the doc?

Hi @Lola2122.

I’m sorry you’re feeling so lousy. Yes, I had a terrible time with nausea right after surgery. Lots of puking and dry heaves. If you’re not already, hold a pillow against your abdomen when you throw up. I put a bowl on a counter so I didn’t have to lean over too much. Definitely contact your surgeon. I met with the nurse practitioner who sorted me out. I received IV fluids in the office for dehydration (made me feel a little bit better). I was prescribed the scopolamine patch for nausea which worked 100 times better than the zofran. And they did a CT scan to make sure nothing was wrong with my insides. Nothing was, but it gave me great peace of mind.

There’s no reason to let this go on without a little medical help! For me, the nausea subsided by about day 7 or 8, and I think I only threw up once or twice after the office visit. I could feel I was on the path to mending once I saw them.

Call them right now, and good luck!!!

I too had nausea and vomiting for a few weeks after I started eating real food. I focused on drinking Water (and warm tea which my dietician said is soothing to the new little stomach). My surgeon actually called me at home after my third call to his office in 5 days. He was not concerned about the vomiting, said it was probably because of the swelling and to just go back to liquids for 24 hrs. before resuming normal food.

I know I've mentioned this before, but he explained that vomiting causes your stomach to swell, which causes more vomiting, which causes more swelling etc. etc. So he is only worried about Fluid intake during that difficult first month or so post op.

But you have to be careful. After my gastric sleeve surgery in 2014, I vomited for a week and ended up in the hospital with IV fluid and potassium since my levels had gotten dangerously low.

I hope you feel better, and if making a call to your surgeons office would ease your mind, do it! You don't want to let it get to the point where you need hospitalization.

Good luck!

HI - thanks so much for your insights. I feel like as long as I’m peeing, I’m not dehydrated, right? I haven’t even gotten to the point where I’m trying Protein Shakes or puréed food, since I’m only five days post surgery. I’m going to try the tea you suggested, and maybe popcicles. I’ll call the office tomorrow and see what she says. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lola2122 said:

HI - thanks so much for your insights. I feel like as long as I’m peeing, I’m not dehydrated, right? I haven’t even gotten to the point where I’m trying Protein Shakes or puréed food, since I’m only five days post surgery. I’m going to try the tea you suggested, and maybe popcicles. I’ll call the office tomorrow and see what she says. Thanks!

Hi Lola, I had my gastric bypass on the 12th, and I have been drinking Protein Shakes since the second day after, but every Dr, is different as are we, It is true tho, my taste buds changed completely. i am so glad that I listened to the folks on here and only bought a few things to try at a time. Before surgery, I made my own Protein shakes with ice and Protein Powder in a blender, but right now I am still not up to doing all of that and the only 'ready to drink' Protein Drink I can get down is the "Oh Yeah" brand. They are out of stock on Walmart.com, but I know GNC carries them. Typically, Id want chocolate, Not anymore....I only want the vanilla. If you can get your hands on a couple of those maybe give them a try. I hope that you feel better soon. Please keep me posted.

You need to contact your surgeon. Didn’t they give you anything for nausea? You should not be throwing up so soon after surgery because you will get dehydrated & YOU CAN RIP YOUR INCISIONS!
I was told to do everything that i can so that I don’t throw up for at least a year!

3 hours ago, Lola2122 said:

sugar free popsicles were my go-to the first couple weeks. When nothing else tasted good, or stayed down, I would have popsicles.

Update- thank you so much for all the suggestions. The popcicles were a GREAT suggestion. I was sooo thirsty, and the popcicles definitely quenched my thirst. I really think that I need to figure out how much liquid I can take in at once. This has beeen the learning curve for me. Yesterday was a tough day- hoping today will be better. I M calling the doc today so maybe i can come in for IV fluids. Glad I found you all!

I found half and half apple juice and Water so much easier on the stomach, no pain and settled the nausea.

@ Neensyb.. thank you those 27 lbs lost includes 2 wk pre surgery diet

On 1/18/2021 at 1:17 AM, Lola2122 said:

I feel like as long as I’m peeing, I’m not dehydrated, right?

Well--yes and no. The darker the color, the more you need to hydrate. I had a terrible time with dehydration and nausea at first as well. My doctor gave me tablets for nausea and they were a life-saver early on.

I have never vomited since surgery--not once. And I can tell you that there were times when I felt so sick (sometimes from eating too much) that I desperately wanted to vomit...and I simply couldn't. This happened as recently as two months ago. (I know that's not really a response to your questions, but I thought I'd share it anyway.)