Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism and gastric bypass surgery

I have hypothyroidism & had the VSG on 12/7/20. I'm down 36lbs in roughly two months. I had a very hard time losing weight pre-surgery & had gained so much after menopause kicked in. But, I'm so pleased with the results of my VSG...I feel terrific, have SO much energy...I sleep better & I am caffeine free!! It's a wonderful feeling to finally accomplish weight loss after feeling it was a lost cause. So happy now thinking about finally being trim and healthy.

I wish you all the best in your decision-making process! Don't give up hope...🤗🙏🏼🎉

I am also hypothyroid but had the gastric sleeve 26 Jan 2021

On 02/03/2021 at 22:12, Castrad01 said:

@rusnj1 I had my bypass on 12/24/20, currently down 23 lbs since surgery. Yes I was feeling the same way, but when I spoke with both my nutritionist and my dietitian they stated that was good weight loss. I mostly definitely get were your coming from especially when some people that I have seen lose 15 lbs a week, it can be discouraging but try to stay positive.

@Castrad01, glad to hear about your journey. It is heartening to see everyone loosing weight. Guess I am an anomaly. Still haven’t lost any weight further. How do you deal with stalls. Any ideas.

Hi, I belong here too. After menopause, I found it impossible to lose weight. Just kept getting bigger and bigger. I had very small losses along the way but the slowness of the loss was so disheartening that I kept giving up and putting what weight I'd lost and some more on. I'm hoping the gastric bypass will allow me to actually lose weight and help me to not lose morale. So far so good. I keep thinking the weight loss will slow down - but actually, after so long with no progress at all, even if the weight loss is quite slow I'll still be happy. I feel hopeful for the first time in ages. My weight was starting to really affect my health. I just want to be healthy again.

I didn't realise I needed to leave four hours between my levothyroxine and my Vitamins. I've been using spray vitamins probably an hour to two hours after my levothyroxine so I've learnt something new here already. I shall change my vitamins to nights.

It’s not just Calcium and Iron you need to watch for with the 4hr window. You also need to watch out for acid reducing medicine as well or at least that’s what my prescription bottle of levo says.

I was sleeved 12/17/19 and then revised 8/11/20 for gerd. In the time between I did stall for almost 6 weeks which was frustrating but I eventually started losing again. Also, the closer I got to my goal weight the slower I lost.

Starwarsandcupcakes, my med bottle says the same. How has you weight loss been since your revision?

@maven, have you had your surgery already very? All of our stories are similar in ways!

5 hours ago, Castrad01 said:

Starwarsandcupcakes, my med bottle says the same. How has you weight loss been since your revision?

@maven, have you had your surgery already very? All of our stories are similar in ways!

Yes, Castrad01, I had my surgery 25th January 2021. All is very well so far. I am very happy to find people here with hypothyroidism the same as me. Hopefully, we can all learn from and support each other.

8 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

It’s not just Calcium and Iron you need to watch for with the 4hr window. You also need to watch out for acid reducing medicine as well or at least that’s what my prescription bottle of levo says.

I was sleeved 12/17/19 and then revised 8/11/20 for gerd. In the time between I did stall for almost 6 weeks which was frustrating but I eventually started losing again. Also, the closer I got to my goal weight the slower I lost.

Wow. Thank you for this Starwarsandcupcakes. Since my operation in January I've been on Lansoprazole - one in the morning and one at night. I've been taking my morning dose WITH my levothyroxine. That's how they gave it to me at the hospital, and I didn't even think to check it. I've already taken this mornings, but I won't make that mistake again now I know! Thank you!

Hi. I have Hashimotos. Had RNY done 10/28/20. Lost 48lbs so far.

29 minutes ago, dmc6974 said:

I have hypothyroidism and doing the sleeve today!!!

Good for you. I hope it all goes well :)

20 minutes ago, lorettacv said:

Hi. I have Hashimotos. Had RNY done 10/28/20. Lost 48lbs so far.

Well done. I'm glad it's all going well. Hearing good news really motivates me too!

On 2/9/2021 at 10:01 PM, Castrad01 said:

Well, mine’s been complicated. My revision (8/2020) was mostly for the hiatal hernia of almost my entire sleeve that gave me constant hiccups. Then I had an internal hernia repair 11/2020 and then a small bowel resection 12/26/2020. But since my revision I’ve gone from 212 to my goal of 155. Mostly because hernia repair and bowel resection recovery follow the same diet as post op WLS- liquids to soft then solids as tolerated. I just had an EGD today to make sure everything looked good and I’m cleared for whatever I can tolerate as long as I chew well.

It’s been 8weeks for my RNY surgery now and I am only 14 lb down. I am really disheartened now. Have done liquid diet for 2 days now to reset my pouch per my dietician’s advice. Still haven’t lost any weight. I think my decision to get the surgery done was wrong.😔😔