Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have your post op appointments been affected by Covid19?

I wondered how everyone was doing with follow up appointment and how covid has affected this?

Since my surgery (UK, private) at the end of August 2020, I have had no blood tests, no consultant follow up, just a couple of dietician appointments. What would be considered normal in terms of tests and appointments?

I feel well generally, and have no problems other than a really slight niggling discomfort under where one of the incisions is, so don't *need* any appointments as such, but I'm starting to feel that I should have had something given the nature of the surgery and whether they are not doing it because of covid? I'm kicking myself for not finding out about this in advance, I was just so focused on getting to the surgery I didn't spend much time thinking about afterwards!

My appointments haven't been affected by COVID. I'm 6 months out and I had follow-ups with my surgeon at 1 week, 3 months, and 6 months. I met with the dietician at 1 week and 6 weeks. I had bloodwork for my 6-month appointment (they gave me the choice of getting blood drawn at the appointment or ahead of time, and I chose to do it ahead of time so the surgeon could get the results before I saw him).

I had my surgery a few years ago, but I had follow-ups at 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year - and then annually after that. I don't think I had blood drawn at all of them. In fact, I think it might have just been at 6 months and 1 year. The other stuff can be done virtually. I had my five-year follow up last summer virtually - with the surgeon and then the dietitian. In fact, I requested it be done virtually again next summer because I really don't physically need to be there (I always have my labs done a couple of weeks early at another clinic that's closer to my house - that way if there's anything unusual I can talk to my surgeon about it when I'm meeting with him). Plus it saves me the travel time.

Yes. I had a phone appointment for my 3 month and 9 month post op appointment. And... since my bariatric doctor is an hour and a half away I've had nothing but issues trying to get them to order my labs for my 1 year follow up post op appointment which is supposed to be next week. I finally gave up and called my PCP and am going to have her order the labs (she's on vacation so I have to wait until next week) so I have to reschedule my 1 year follow up because Covid has apparently sapped the bariatric clinic of their ability to do their job (I called them 7 TIMES and was told they would send my labs three of those times... guess what, I called the outpatient lab and they got NOTHING from them! The other four times I got their damned answering service and they never returned any of my calls... -_-")

I had bypass end of 2019. My first couple appointments (2 week and 6 week) were in person, but the rest have been phone or video. They did have my go in for blood tests at 6 months. My 1 year is coming up and it will be video as well.

I had a gastric bypass - also privately in the UK - in October 2020 and had a 10 day follow up with the Consultant in person early November. I also have a 3 month appointment booked for 1 February, again in person at the hospital - though I suppose there's a possibility that this might change to a phone appointment if things get bad with covid at the hospital. If that happens I'll get my Consultant to email my GP to organise blood tests at my GP's and then they can send the results to him. But I'd rather see him in person if possible, even though it's a 2 hour drive away.

When I signed up to the bypass surgery I picked a "package" option which included 10 day, 3 month, 6 month, 12 month and 24 month appointment follow ups, so I'm expecting these to happen. Maybe check your paperwork and see what was included in the surgery price, and then contact your Consultant? I'd say that somebody whether your Consultant or your GP needs to be monitoring your progress and bloods?