Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those on required liquid diet

So I am currently on my preop diet (surgery date: Jan 22nd) and my surgeon office requires low carb high Protein diets. I just finished my first week and for the second I would like to do strictly liquids so that i can shed a few extra pounds and make sure my liver actually in shrinking. My question for those on a liquid diet, what should I be drinking or having that is good for liver shrinking? Protein Drinks or Meal Replacement drinks? sugar free Jello? or pudding? I just need a few ideas so I can plan accordingly and I was given the green light by my surgeons office so any tips or product recommendations would be much appreciated.

On my liquid diet I did Gatorade Zero, Water, Crystal Light, chocolate Protein drinks, sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free pudding, sugar-free Jello and Soup broth.

we were required to have 4-5 Protein Shakes a day (not meal replacement shakes). Also, any ultra-low or no calorie beverage was allowed (but no caffeine). sugar free Jello was fine, but not pudding. We were also allowed sugar free popsicles and a limited amount of broth and Tomato juice/V8 (I think it was a cup a day)

these diets vary a lot, though. Some people can have one "sensible" meal a day (like a Lean Cuisine - or meat and vegetables). Some aren't required to do a pre-op diet at all.

Pre-op diets vary quite a bit from one surgeon to the next. I can tell you what mine was, but others may be different. As long as you are staying within your surgeon's guidelines, you're fine, and my understanding is that you are wanting to be more strict than what your surgeon requires.

My pre-op diet was two weeks:

• Week 1: 3 Protein Shakes + 1 healthy meal per day (healthy meal = 3-4 ounces lean Protein + 2 cups non-starchy vegetables OR healthy frozen meal <350 calories with no rice or pasta)
  • Week 2: 4 protein shakes per day, low-sodium broth, up to 2 servings sugar-free Jello or popsicles per day
  • Day before surgery: Clear Liquids only, no red food coloring; 1 bottle of full-sugar Gatorade (to get out of ketosis before surgery)

The requirements for protein shakes were:

• Less than 200 calories per serving
  • 15-30 grams of protein per serving
  • Less than 15 grams of sugar per serving
  • Protein source from whey, egg white, casein, milk, or soy isolate or isolate/concentrate mix

Edited by BigSue
Added requirements for protein shakes

my 2 week diet has been Protein drinks with at least m15-30 g of protein, 3-4 per day. I generally drink the Equate shakes from Wal Mart, Water, Gatorade zero, sugar free popsicles, broth. But for the broth I take chicken noodle Soup and strain out the noodles and chicken. I makes a better tasting broth than the ones in the boxes. My nutritionist told me that I could have small amount of white meat chicken if it gets too bad. I have 8 days to go. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. Good Luck with your surgery, mine is the 26th.

Edited by upinsmoke

My 2-week pre-op diet was 3 Protein Shakes a day. My surgeon provided me with Optifast brand powder packets that I put in a blender with Water, 1 tsp of instant Decaf coffee crystals and a bunch of ice. Each shake was 225 calories (23g Protein, 17g carbs, 8g fat).

P.S. FYI: After surgery, I switched to Isopure brand powders, which was less sweet, less calories, more protein and zero carbs.

My surgery is tomorrow Jan. 21 and I have been on the liquid diet for five days. The biggest thing that has helped me is drinking chicken Bone Broth. I have to drink 4-6 Protein drinks a day that have less than 5g of sugar each. I have been drinking the equate high performance Protein Shake in caramel. I can have 16 oz of a caffeinated no calorie beverage. I have to drink 2 liters of Water and I have have 2 sugar free popsicles a day. The sugar free fudgesicles actually taste really good and curb that chocolate fix. I've dropped 12 lbs over the past few days which I am sure is dominantly water weight but I feel less bloated. I have had headaches every night and some moments of weak/dizzy. The chicken broth seems to help with that or a popsicle.

I am seeing this on the 22nd, I hope your surgery went well. I have been drinking 3 Protein Shakes a day with some chicken broth and a bunch of Water. I also get the sugar free popsicles. I have dropped 20 lbs since beginning, but I am in rehab for a knee replacement done a month ago, and I need to exercise at least 2 times a day, and am finding it hard to get the energy. My surgery is the 26th, so maybe I will have to just grin and bear it.

I was only allowed 5 Protein Shake a day during week 2 of my preop diet.