Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post- Surgery Self Care

My surgery is on Jan 21 and I just wanted to ask everyone what did they do for self-care post-surgery? I have never been too great at it due to my crazy work schedule and always on the go. However, while on this journey I really wanted to pay special care of myself- so I was looking for ideas or suggestions for the hospital visit and home care that will make healing a bit more bearable.

I was thinking maybe buying some scented candles for the home, lining up some good-spirited films, and purchasing a back massager or something ( is that safe)

Good luck as you start on your journey!

As for the hospital: you will likely be too tired to do anything but sleep. I brought several books and didn't read a page. Just bring the bare essentials (i.e., toiletries).

As for home: Definitely take time for yourself, to rest and to let yourself heal--and make sure all of the people around you know that you will need at least two weeks to do that. You will also need time to plan your Water and Protein needs. You will find that you will be obsessed with protein and water for the first several weeks.

Your ideas (candles, films, massager) sound lovely (and yes, the massager is safe). I watched a ton of TV and movies during my three weeks at home before I returned to work. It's important to do whatever will make you feel relaxed and comfortable, and that will be different for everyone. Just be aware that you will have very little energy and will take a LOT of naps! Enjoy it while it lasts!

I would plan for some good walking shoes. You need to keep moving to avoid blood clots and to start into a healthy lifestyle plan. My doc wanted 10,000 steps a day, and I worked up to that in the first week. Naps and massage are great, but keep yourself moving inbetween or you could have complications.

You're really thinking ahead. I stocked the house with plenty of Water, crystal light, gatorade, sugar-free popsicles and things I knew I could have and would make me happy. I slept a lot/rested a lot the first few days. Take this time off to apply some nice scented lotions.

I'm 7 days out and agree with AZhiker that you should consider walking--especially outside-- an act of self-care. I had a couple of days where I was in pain and couldn't so much as take a few steps without wincing, but when you're able, take advantage and go out for a walk.

Don't underestimate the power of a hot beverage, even if it's just plain Water. Very soothing and a nice change of pace, especially if the rest of your diet is full of cold Protein Shakes and waters.

Also, get yourself a couple of nice, comfy bathrobes. I love the one I have from Target and have lived in it since the surgery. Some days you just don't want to wear pants! ;)

Good luck as you start on your journey!
As for the hospital: you will likely be too tired to do anything but sleep. I brought several books and didn't read a page. Just bring the bare essentials (i.e., toiletries).
As for home: Definitely take time for yourself, to rest and to let yourself heal--and make sure all of the people around you know that you will need at least two weeks to do that. You will also need time to plan your Water and Protein needs. You will find that you will be obsessed with protein and water for the first several weeks.
Your ideas (candles, films, massager) sound lovely (and yes, the massager is safe). I watched a ton of TV and movies during my three weeks at home before I returned to work. It's important to do whatever will make you feel relaxed and comfortable, and that will be different for everyone. Just be aware that you will have very little energy and will take a LOT of naps! Enjoy it while it lasts!
This.....is 100% bang on. Take only a change of clothes, lip balm, hand moisuriser and standard toiletries. You will sleep or be up walking in the hospital.

When I got home, I lowered the temp in our bedroom and got extra pillows. I sleep on my side and knew it may be uncomfortable. I slept with a soft but plump pillow under my belly to add support. Pajamas were no elastic waist, just a long tshirt and the softest undies I could find.

If you have refreezable ice packs, great. I wrapped them in light towels and put them on my forehead when I got caffeine withdrawl headaches.

Get the very best thermal cup. One that will keep your liquids cool for at least 12 hours. Sip sip sip, and sip sitting upright, and stay upright until you are comfortable it's gone down.

Get some waterproof wound covers. I had to replace three of mine between days 1-5 after showering.

Be prepared to get up and walk if you get gas pains. Gas from the surgery, or gas in your belly. IT HELPS!! While you may feel exhausted, walking moves the gas, and be prepared for flatulence. Be careful though, from about day 3 don't trust a fart!!

Be good to yourself.

Awesome responses -thank you guys! I just received a new Fitbit for Christmas so that would be a great way to start after surgery and keep track of those steps! I figured I'd be sleeping a lot I just want to make myself as comfortable as possible which I normally don't worry about. But now I really do and I don't want to short-change myself during this process. There is a lot of hard work ahead.

40 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

You're really thinking ahead. I stocked the house with plenty of Water, crystal light, gatorade, sugar-free popsicles and things I knew I could have and would make me happy. I slept a lot/rested a lot the first few days. Take this time off to apply some nice scented lotions.

Ohhhhh that sounds so great@ at the scented lotions! What brand of sugar-free popsicles are your "go-to"

27 minutes ago, Neensyb said:

This.....is 100% bang on. Take only a change of clothes, lip balm, hand moisuriser and standard toiletries. You will sleep or be up walking in the hospital.

When I got home, I lowered the temp in our bedroom and got extra pillows. I sleep on my side and knew it may be uncomfortable. I slept with a soft but plump pillow under my belly to add support. Pajamas were no elastic waist, just a long tshirt and the softest undies I could find.

If you have refreezable ice packs, great. I wrapped them in light towels and put them on my forehead when I got caffeine withdrawl headaches.

Get the very best thermal cup. One that will keep your liquids cool for at least 12 hours. Sip sip sip, and sip sitting upright, and stay upright until you are comfortable it's gone down.

Get some waterproof wound covers. I had to replace three of mine between days 1-5 after showering.

Be prepared to get up and walk if you get gas pains. Gas from the surgery, or gas in your belly. IT HELPS!! While you may feel exhausted, walking moves the gas, and be prepared for flatulence. Be careful though, from about day 3 don't trust a fart!! emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Be good to yourself.

LOL !! I love that "don't trust a fart" -More great suggestions with the soft but plump pillow under the belly to add support, a great thermos, and some comfy PJs! All on my to-do list! Any particular brand of waterproof wound covers you would suggest?

Thanks again for replying this really helps knowing I have people to talk to who have been there and done that already! Super sweet of you!

Edited by KelBel3040

16 hours ago, KelBel3040 said:

My surgery is on Jan 21 and I just wanted to ask everyone what did they do for self-care post-surgery? I have never been too great at it due to my crazy work schedule and always on the go. However, while on this journey I really wanted to pay special care of myself- so I was looking for ideas or suggestions for the hospital visit and home care that will make healing a bit more bearable.

I was thinking maybe buying some scented candles for the home, lining up some good-spirited films, and purchasing a back massager or something ( is that safe)

A couple of new firm pillows may help you get comfortable because sleeping positions might be awkward for a while. Candles are a bonus especially for the bathroom breaks. You may be cold often so anything that will keep you warm is totally an act of self care.

Good Luck ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

6 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

A couple of new firm pillows may help you get comfortable because sleeping positions might be awkward for a while. Candles are a bonus especially for the bathroom breaks

Good Luck ❤️

Nice. I figured the candles would be a calming touch and now I believe for the bathroom as well! A few ppl mentioned the poots and poops. I guess the body must adjust, right! thanks for the suggestions

Edited by KelBel3040

36 minutes ago, Rosewyn said:

I'm 7 days out and agree with AZhiker that you should consider walking--especially outside-- an act of self-care. I had a couple of days where I was in pain and couldn't so much as take a few steps without wincing, but when you're able, take advantage and go out for a walk.

Don't underestimate the power of a hot beverage, even if it's just plain Water. Very soothing and a nice change of pace, especially if the rest of your diet is full of cold Protein Shakes and waters.

Also, get yourself a couple of nice, comfy bathrobes. I love the one I have from Target and have lived in it since the surgery. Some days you just don't want to wear pants! ;)

I'm all about the pants optional days. I just left target - Ill check out their robes. Thanks

LOL !! I love that "don't trust a fart" -More great suggestions with the soft but plump pillow under the belly to add support, a great thermos, and some comfy PJs! All on my to-do list! Any particular brand of waterproof wound covers you would suggest?
Thanks again for replying this really helps knowing I have people to talk to who have been there and done that already! Super sweet of you!
I am in Australia so brands may differ. Pop into your pharmacy/drug store and tell them what you need and why. Your wounds (if having a VSG) will be uo to 1.5 inches long and you will have up to 6 wounds maximum. I had 5, three tiny, 2 just over an inch long.

Candles or scented oil....ooh yes. That was another one. My amazing husband got me a new Lush vaporiser for Christmas from my stepsons, and some lavendar oils. It really helped me stay calm and settled.

So many great ideas here! I would definitely make sure you have enough water/protein/sugar-free popsicles. Also a comfy bath robe, a cozy hoodie, a heating pad and ice-packs, I like the old school Popsicle brand sugar free popsicles; I tried the Red classics, Tropical, and the Assorted fruit.

Heating pad, definitely! It’s the only thing that helped with my gas pains (other than walking). Make sure you’ve picked up all your meds ahead of time, too. Congratulations! And good luck!