Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not liking any food

I am into my fourth week of post op recovery and have run across something I wasn't expecting...any food I eat once...I no longer like.

I am supposed to be introducing new foods (pureed/mushy) into my diet. The first few bites are always good - then it starts quickly to become a bit revolting. After 4-6 oz I am done with it. Not only for that meal...but for good. the thought of it is revolting....

While there are worse things in the world, I have gone back to ensuring I am getting my Protein through shakes, and still try to find something I can tolerate, more than once. So far the only thing I have found is rotisserie chicken meat. For some reason that is ok.

So with that just a few questions hopefully someone can give me insight on.

A) is this temporary and just a stage thing so close to being after surgery?

b) is there any real harm in just sticking to shakes for protein..and just being really selective with my actual food meals?

C) Would now be a good time to sample all the bad food I use to love - to get it in the revolting category... (JUST KIDDING)

This is simply a curiosity thing, as I am very okay with a reprieve from craving food...and am enjoying the tremendous success of everything so far, though it is very early.

I found many things revolting shortly after surgery...including Protein Shakes. It got better. Sometimes it still happens, but rarely. I am able to eat things now (including Protein shakes), that were disgusting to me after one meal within the first couple months after surgery.

Check with your surgeon’s office regarding using shakes as your primary protein source.

Good luck!

I think 4-6 oz might be too much. Maybe start with 2 oz portions of food. I had an issue with eggs early on, where I ate too much (2 eggs) and paid for it in the bathroom and feeling sick and dizzy for the rest of the day. I found them revolting for the next 6 weeks or so. Now, they're okay, but I don't like them the way I once did!

I barely liked food to begin with but that never changed post-op. I still don't really like food. I would rather live the rest of my life eating chocolate and Cookies, but I know that's not reasonable or healthy. So I make myself eat food. I view it as fuel now. Food is just fuel. I don't have to enjoy it, I just have to eat it.

1 hour ago, WishMeSmaller said:

I found many things revolting shortly after surgery...including Protein Shakes. It got better. Sometimes it still happens, but rarely. I am able to eat things now (including Protein shakes), that were disgusting to me after one meal within the first couple months after surgery.

Check with your surgeon’s office regarding using shakes as your primary Protein source.

Good luck!

Very glad I don't hate those for some reason...I actually like them better than I did pre op ...so odd

26 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I barely liked food to begin with but that never changed post-op. I still don't really like food. I would rather live the rest of my life eating chocolate and Cookies, but I know that's not reasonable or healthy. So I make myself eat food. I view it as fuel now. Food is just fuel. I don't have to enjoy it, I just have to eat it.

Great point - food is fuel...just not sure I can overcome the extreme revolt for most food....time will help I am sure.

1 hour ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Check with your surgeon’s office regarding using shakes as your primary Protein source.

Good luck!

Yeah - I am going to keep trying different protein sources...I can do chicken for now...that that is a plus...but I am burning through foods fast that are falling into - I don't even want to see it list ;) hoping time helps resolve at least the repulsiveness ...

And def will check in with dietician but already know the canned responses...very robotic...but I will give due diligence...

it's temporary - but take full advantage of that! It'll never be easier to lose weight than it is right now - when you're almost never hungry and really don't even like food anymore!

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

it's temporary - but take full advantage of that! It'll never be easier to lose weight than it is right now - when you're almost never hungry and really don't even like food anymore!

This is so true!!! In the beginning I lived on shakes and greek yogurt. Ride it out as long as you can!! Best of luck to you!!!

This is pretty common. Some of it comes from a change in your taste buds & for some also their sense of smell. Plus your tummy is pretty sensitive while it’s healing. Don’t worry, it changes back. A lot of things I previously enjoyed were abhorrent after surgery. You’ll also find that something you can eat one day will make you sick the next.

It’s a lot of trial & error to begin. I ‘d say a lot of us survived on a pretty small range of foods we could tolerate in the beginning. But don’t give up on a food. Just have a break & try it again in a few days or a week or two. Try different foods too. You may find things you wouldn’t have eaten before now are quite easy & enjoyable to eat.

Don’t worry if you go back a step for a short time or move more slowly to a next stage. You have to do what works for you. As I said, it’s a lot of trial & error to begin.

Good luck.