Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trial and/or sampler packs of protein powder???

10 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

my two favorite brands were Syntrax Nectar and Unjury - Unjury you can only get on Unjury's Web site. They also have individual packets (and you can get one of each flavor if you look under "Bundles" on their Web site).

but as far as different brands, people's tastes vary A LOT. You'll just have to try a few brands and see if you can find one or two that you're OK with..

Yes, that is what I am afraid of... there are just SOOO many options to choose from. I am hoping to find several sample packets of different brands to try out. It would be lovely to find something I really like, but again, I have read many posts that indicate that taste changes after surgery as well. So...I think if I can find several different kinds, hopefully one of the brands I purchase will work either before and/or after surgery!

Thank you so much for the help!

59 minutes ago, TreeTrunks said:

Oh, we are in the same boat! My surgery is at the end of February... trying to get prepared and it is becoming a daunting task! Keep me posted on how your prep is going... I am wishing both of us the best of luck!

YAS! And the nerves are starting to hit. I go for my EGD tomorrow. It was really abstract back in October when it was MONTHS away. Now that the date's getting closer, it's much more real and becoming daunting. Good luck to you!!!

Hello.

I tried several different Proteins sources after my surgery (10/24/19). I didn't like any of them just the way they came, The prepackaged ones being too thick and overly sweet. I now drink this easy concoction daily (still).

3/4 scoop Unjury chocolate Splendor

1/4 scoop Unjury Unflavored

I adjust according to my flavor cravings for the day :) sometimes I make it less sweet than the ratio I gave here.

It's easy to get the ratio right, just fill one scoop 3/4 full (or a half) full and top it off with the unflavored. Nothing to it!

Good luck on your journey!

Sarah

P.S. Unjury has 2 different sample kits for sale, (I swear I don't work for the Unjury company).

https://unjury.com/bundles/basic-sampler-kit/

I liked Swanson Sipping Bone Broth after surgery (and still). It's 45 calories and 9 grams of Protein and comes in a handy container that you heat in the microwave for 90(?) seconds. It comes in plain chicken, Rosemary/Lemon or Ginger/Tumeric.

You are very smart to get samples...I have giant containers of Protein Powder (highly recommended) that I can't stand. I do like the pre-mixed Fairlife shakes and Premier Protein Caramel and Cookies and Cream the best,

Good luck!!!

4 hours ago, njlimmer said:

YAS! And the nerves are starting to hit. I go for my EGD tomorrow. It was really abstract back in October when it was MONTHS away. Now that the date's getting closer, it's much more real and becoming daunting. Good luck to you!!!

Oh my goodness!!! You are not kidding! I feel like I have been on slo-mo since July... now it is so close I feel like someone hit the fast forward button! Good luck tomorrow, I am sure everything will go well!

3 hours ago, Sarah1216 said:

Hello.

I tried several different Proteins sources after my surgery (10/24/19). I didn't like any of them just the way they came, The prepackaged ones being too thick and overly sweet. I now drink this easy concoction daily (still).

3/4 scoop Unjury chocolate Splendor

1/4 scoop Unjury Unflavored

I adjust according to my flavor cravings for the day :) sometimes I make it less sweet than the ratio I gave here.

It's easy to get the ratio right, just fill one scoop 3/4 full (or a half) full and top it off with the unflavored. Nothing to it!

Good luck on your journey!

Sarah

P.S. Unjury has 2 different sample kits for sale, (I swear I don't work for the Unjury company).

https://unjury.com/bundles/basic-sampler-kit/

YES! Agreed! They all taste so overly artificially sweet and thick! I am definitely going to order up the Unjury sample kits and try your recipe! Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, kellym1220 said:

I liked Swanson Sipping Bone Broth after surgery (and still). It's 45 calories and 9 grams of Protein and comes in a handy container that you heat in the microwave for 90(?) seconds. It comes in plain chicken, Rosemary/Lemon or Ginger/Tumeric.

You are very smart to get samples...I have giant containers of Protein Powder (highly recommended) that I can't stand. I do like the pre-mixed Fairlife shakes and Premier Protein Caramel and Cookies and Cream the best,

Good luck!!!

I had no idea that Swanson even made a 'sipping' broth. It sounds wonderful! I will have to scour the net to see if I can find any!

I hope so! I am really trying to prepare myself as best as I can. Fairlife is the only pre-mixed I have somewhat liked so far...it is still a little too much. I have tried so many of the Premier Protein flavors, and I just can not do it... I even mixed them with black coffee to use as a 'creamer' over ice to dilute them and I just can't do it. I wish I could! Things would be a little bit easier!

Thank you! I think I will take all the luck I can gather right now!

My husband has always been into Protein because he lifts and works out. So I’ve tried quite a few. For pre made, the only ones I can tolerate are fairlife. They have the least “protein” taste and texture. For powders, I like GNC lean shake. I used to like the lean shake burn but I don’t do any caffeine now. The chocolate is the best flavor (IMO), the Cookies and cream has a great taste but has like little chunks of chocolate or something and I dislike that texture.

My husband is always bringing home samples from GNC. Before covid they would scoop them into little containers but I don’t know how they do them now.

As for unflavored....I use Isopure Unflavored Protein to use in food. Ricotta bake, protein pudding, refried Beans (I’m in purée stage). It is so fine that it blends very well and doesn’t leave it gritty. I don’t think I could do it in Water, it’s unflavored but it isn’t tasteless so I need something to mask it!

I hated the shakes too (texture, sweetness, etc.) but I found if I diluted them they were a little more tolerable. I added about 50% more Water.

Good luck.

On 01/07/2021 at 10:05, TreeTrunks said:

Hi everyone. I am having a really hard time drinking any of the pre-made Protein Shakes. They are so thick and have such a overwhelming fake sweet aftertaste. The only one I can somewhat get through is the Fairlife nutrition plan 30g Protein shakes, but I am afraid there is no way in God's Green Earth that I will be able to drink these day after day for the upcoming pre-op diet. So, I am search of places to purchase trial and/or sampler packs of Protein Powder. I would really like to avoid purchasing an entire tub and not be able to choke it down.

Any and all suggestions welcome! Also would love Protein Shake recipes!

Thank you!

Go to Bowmar Nutrition they have samples you can buy and very different flavors. I have tried some and like what I tried. They have one 5hat tastes like French toast I think 5hat was my favorite. Maybe worth a look.

11 hours ago, RTL1234 said:

My husband has always been into Protein because he lifts and works out. So I’ve tried quite a few. For pre made, the only ones I can tolerate are fairlife. They have the least “protein” taste and texture. For powders, I like GNC lean shake. I used to like the lean shake burn but I don’t do any caffeine now. The chocolate is the best flavor (IMO), the Cookies and cream has a great taste but has like little chunks of chocolate or something and I dislike that texture.

My husband is always bringing home samples from GNC. Before covid they would scoop them into little containers but I don’t know how they do them now.

As for unflavored....I use Isopure Unflavored Protein to use in food. Ricotta bake, protein pudding, refried Beans (I’m in purée stage). It is so fine that it blends very well and doesn’t leave it gritty. I don’t think I could do it in Water, it’s unflavored but it isn’t tasteless so I need something to mask it!

Yes, agreed! I will definitely have to give the lean shake a try. I had planned on taking a trip to GNC this weekend, hopefully they have some samples I can try!

9 hours ago, IWantTheDream said:

Go to Bowmar Nutrition they have samples you can buy and very different flavors. I have tried some and like what I tried. They have one 5hat tastes like French toast I think 5hat was my favorite. Maybe worth a look.

Great, thank you. I will add this one to the list! You guys are the best!!

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I hated the shakes too (texture, sweetness, etc.) but I found if I diluted them they were a little more tolerable. I added about 50% more Water.

Good luck.

Yes, unfortunately...I have tried this and it was still too fake tasting. Hoping that some of the many suggestions above will give me something that I can tolerate.

THANK YOU!!!

I used vanilla Premier Protein powder, Soy milk, ice, cinnamon & a few drops of stevia for homemade Protein Drinks. WAY better then the store bought. Blended in a ninja blender. Still make it several times a week👍🏻

20 hours ago, Luna805 said:

I used vanilla Premier Protein powder, Soy milk, ice, cinnamon & a few drops of stevia for homemade Protein Drinks. WAY better then the store bought. Blended in a ninja blender. Still make it several times a week👍🏻

Hmmm... Do you think the powder tastes better than the pre-made shakes? I can't get over the taste of the pre-made Premier... I've tried the vanilla, chocolate, caramel and Cookies and cream. I really did WANT to like it, I just couldn't do it...