Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve done 4th January

I have to say, being day 3 after surgery I have asked myself a number of times what the hell have I done....then I have moments of comfort which removes all concern.

It took me nearly 12 hours to come out of the anaesthetic properly, and I had the awful sweats and nausea, but no vomiting. I remember only the Ice packs put behind my shoulders and the cold towel on my head.....ooh it felt so good. The nurses were just smashing and I'm going to send a thank you hard to them at the ward. I came home the day after surgery.

I've had two bad nights, but last night felt so much better and slept 8 hours straight. I am already 4kgs down since surgery so that gives me hope.

My first night home I was worried about my intake of Fluid. I struggled to consume even one cup of liquid a day. Yesterday I got through an entire Optifast shake, one cup of warm coffee, and about 500ml of Powerade zero.

What has worked for me through trial and error (haha that auto corrected to "terror")

1. Don't drink laying down. Try and sit upright as possible, it reduces the chance of pain.

2. Small sips mean exactly that. Wet the inside of your mouth, and don't do more than two at a time.

3. Room temperature liquid gives me less issues

4. Make a shake in the morning and aim to complete by midday. Same for the afternoon

5. Keep on top of standard pain relief. Here in Australia we have panadol which is safe for bariatric patients. I tried dissolvable ones but the contain effervescent bubbles... not a great outcome

6. When pain is felt, stand up tall, take s deep breath through the nose and slowly out through the mouth. At most it has been two breaths and the pain is gone

7. A cool shower, clean hair, clean jammies and clean sheets make everything feel better

8. My headaches are likely to be caused by coffee withdrawl. I added 1tsp instant (powdered) coffee to a choc or vanilla shake. Voila!! Headache gone

Just my thoughts, and hope some of these ideas can help others just having had surgery.

Day 1 I was 7/10 discomfort, and full of unfounded regrets.

Today, day 3, 1/10 discomfort, totally happy with my decision to have taken this route.

How are you all doing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Oops a few typos, apologies.

This was really helpful to read! I also had my surgery on Jan 4th so it’s good to see how others are feeling. I have also had the dreaded ‘what did I do?’ moments but am feeling positive. I was worried I wasn’t having enough to eat/drink but it sounds like you are having similar amounts.

I am feeling pretty good compared to what I expected and am trying to move around as much as possible. Most of the gas pain has gone but I am still getting some shoulder pain when I move around and my breathing is still a little shallow - hoping this should resolve itself over the next few days. I have tried to reduce my pain meds as well now; I was given liquid paracetamol and ibuprofen to take 4 times daily but am only taking 1-2 times.

January 5th was my sleeve day. I've had a few moments of regret too, but I find the best way to get through those times is to remind myself that it isn't going to be like this forever.

Hydrating myself has to be my full-time job right now, so I can only get in short naps during the day, even though I want to sleep half the time. I've been drinking out of a 2oz cup which helps me track how much I drink in an hour.

Agreed that it's best if you're sitting up while drinking. Less reflux and bubbles in your chest.

Your smoothie sounds so delicious. I'll have to put powdered instant coffee on my shopping list! I think my new stomach will be too tender to drink straight-up coffee for a while, so it will be nice to scratch that itch in the meantime.

Everyone is different, but for me the first 3-4 days were the worst, especially the first night in the hospital following surgery. I doubt I slept more than an hour.

By 2 weeks out it felt like I had never had surgery. It gets better dramatically.

Hang in there.

Thank you for the post and responses! I had my surgery on Jan 4th as well. Many moments of what have I done to myself!? So, I too, am glad that I’m not alone. My doctor only allows Tylenol and Gasx. But I’ve been very uncomfortable to uncomfortable but it passes. Walking helps and deep breaths help me. Great tips @Neensyb Everyday has been better so thank you for the encouragement @PolkSDA ! That reinforces what I keep telling myself.

Trying to drink the required liquids is a full time job!!!!! But I’ve read so much about side effects of dehydration that I know how important it is for all of us. sugar free Popsicles have been amazing for me. Though i haven’t finished an entire popsicle in one sitting yet. It seems to make me feel better and another way to get my liquids.

I feel like I waited and waited for the surgery now I feel like I’m waiting to feel ‘normal’.

I haven’t weighed myself yet because I feel like I am so bloated, but I know scientifically this will work as long as I follow all of my Doctors instructions.

Thank you for the post and responses! I had my surgery on Jan 4th as well. Many moments of what have I done to myself!? So, I too, am glad that I’m not alone. My doctor only allows Tylenol and Gasx. But I’ve been very uncomfortable to uncomfortable but it passes. Walking helps and deep breaths help me. Great tips [mention=391480]Neensyb[/mention] Everyday has been better so thank you for the encouragement [mention=382684]PolkSDA[/mention] ! That reinforces what I keep telling myself.
Trying to drink the required liquids is a full time job!!!!! But I’ve read so much about side effects of dehydration that I know how important it is for all of us. sugar free Popsicles have been amazing for me. Though i haven’t finished an entire popsicle in one sitting yet. It seems to make me feel better and another way to get my liquids.
I feel like I waited and waited for the surgery now I feel like I’m waiting to feel ‘normal’.
I haven’t weighed myself yet because I feel like I am so bloated, but I know scientifically this will work as long as I follow all of my Doctors instructions.

Today has been my first real venture away from the house with hubby. I am now up to one shake a day and about 600ml electrolytes. That was yesterday. It's lunchtime and I have already done a morning shake and will sup on one all afternoon in a chiller thermos. It's high summer here so anything cool is appreciated.

I went to a supplement store today and got a no cal no sugar 25g Protein Powder to add to Water. I was dubious, but it is quite refreshing and a mandarin citris flavour. I have it in 150ml water and taking a tablespoon at a time.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!

What a great post! It's nice to hear and share experiences. I had my sleeve on January 5th (seems like it's been so long and it's only been three days!) but I am really surprised how great I feel. I did lots of walking at the hospital after my surgery, thanks to reading what many have shared in the forum, and I think that is one of the reasons I minimized my gas pain.

And yes, getting in all the Water is really like a full-time job! Everything is going down okay; but if the sip is too big, I can feel it. I've been walking around quite a bit just inside keeping moving and today went outside for a short walk in the sunshine and it felt so nice to be in the fresh air.

The hardest part for me is using the spirometer, which my doctor said is very important to minimize the chance of pneumonia.

Once in the hospital post surgery when I just wanted to sleep, I, too, had the "what-have-I-done" thought, but it was just that once. Honestly, I have felt so good, alert and have much more energy than I ever expected I would.

Wishing all of you the best on your journey. I'm grateful to the forum for all the pre- and post-surgery help.

I was following a tip I’ve read on other posts of using 1oz cups. Approaching it 1 oz at a time made it more difficult to get in all my liquid. So today I made a shake to finish by lunch and another one to finish this evening. A huge Thank you @Neensyb!!!! Today I was able to drink all my liquids and feel much better. The dehydration can contribute to not feeling our best.

I was following a tip I’ve read on other posts of using 1oz cups. Approaching it 1 oz at a time made it more difficult to get in all my liquid. So today I made a shake to finish by lunch and another one to finish this evening. A huge Thank you [mention=391480]Neensyb[/mention]!!!! Today I was able to drink all my liquids and feel much better. The dehydration can contribute to not feeling our best.

Isnt it so much easier that way. Ive done one shake and a 600ml Powerade zero. I am going to try and get down an Optifast Soup and another 500mls Water. That will be it today. I'm far less sore today but am absolutely exhausted. I need to add my Protein to the water I think.

Yesterday I went from one extreme to the other. I did too much in the morning and felt terrible at midday. I had to sleep in the afternoon, then got up and had a small Soup. We had a retirement celebration to go to and I had set a timeframe of one hour before I came home. Since I slept and hydrated, and took along a shake in a thermo cold cup, I felt great and came home after 3 hours with energy to have a green tea before bed. My sleep was sound, and this morning I would say I feel about 95%.

Gratefulness is an overwhelming feeling sometimes. [emoji178]

5 minutes ago, Neensyb said:

Yesterday I went from one extreme to the other. I did too much in the morning and felt terrible at midday. I had to sleep in the afternoon, then got up and had a small Soup. We had a retirement celebration to go to and I had set a timeframe of one hour before I came home. Since I slept and hydrated, and took along a shake in a thermo cold cup, I felt great and came home after 3 hours with energy to have a green tea before bed. My sleep was sound, and this morning I would say I feel about 95%.

Gratefulness is an overwhelming feeling sometimes.

Wow! I am so impressed!! That is a huge day. Speaks volumes about sleep and hydration. Your attitude though was probably the majority of how you had such a productive day. Very inspiring.
I find myself wanting to sit down and rest between tasks which I’ve been doing. I go back to work on Monday (working from home due to COVID) but am wanting just one more day. 😂.
I know it’s early but am aware that so many people experience Hair loss around month 3-6. So I’ve been focused on that on my Protein. I still can’t figure out if it’s from surgery or lack of protein so I’m not taking any changes. I found a protein “water” that I think will help. In the US GNC sells Isopure. My Dr highly recommended it as well.