Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, Lahela said:

I am 5 wks post op and have lost 30 lbs since surgery. Sometimes I feel like this is not enough weight loss and it is frustrating. Anyone else in the 30 lb since day of surgery?

I was in a the same spot at 5 weeks post op. I started counting from the week before when I had only liquid Protein Drinks. I’ve lost a total of 33 lbs since March 15. Surgery was on March 22 nd. My beginning BMI was 35.6. I’ve been following the plan to a T. I have hit a stall this week but I am going to “trust the process”. I’ll keep doing what I have been and I know I’ll continue to lose.

1 hour ago, ColoRad Gal said:

I was in a the same spot at 5 weeks post op. I started counting from the week before when I had only liquid Protein Drinks. I’ve lost a total of 33 lbs since March 15. Surgery was on March 22 nd. My beginning BMI was 35.6. I’ve been following the plan to a T. I have hit a stall this week but I am going to “trust the process”. I’ll keep doing what I have been and I know I’ll continue to lose.

We’re surgery twins. My surgery was March 22nd also. Like you, I’m following the plan and trying to trust the process.

I’ve only lost 20 pounds post surgery which has been frustrating; although my doctor seems ok with it as long as I’m losing. I lost 33.4 pounds from January until surgery. The good news is, I’m half a pond from being halfway to my goal. My doctor calculated that I could get to 150 pounds , but my goal is 120 which the RN at the practice said is very doable. I’m 5’1”. I wish I was further along, but at least I’m losing, not gaining weight.

I’m so proud of everyone losing 30 pounds and someone said they lost 70 ponds I think. Way to go!!!

6 hours ago, Lahela said:

I am 5 wks post op and have lost 30 lbs since surgery. Sometimes I feel like this is not enough weight loss and it is frustrating. Anyone else in the 30 lb since day of surgery?

I’m at 25 lbs down at 5 weeks out. I feel the same but try to remind myself that 5 lbs a week is a lot. If I can keep that pace I will be happy. But I do worry it will start to slow. Then I’ll be really discouraged. But I see others who are really losing much faster so everyone is really different.
I’m a constant weigher too which probably contributes to my impatience. But it also keeps me focused on what I’m doing daily and how it might affect the scale.
like others here, this is far more mental energy than I anticipated. I’m having difficulty getting in Protein and Water though I am managing to get it in - but it takes a full day. And I’m also finding myself exhausted by mid afternoon so I have not managed to increase my physical activity yet either as recommended. I keep hoping I’ll start to feel that energy bump soon.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:45 PM, GaGirlGettingHealthy said:

Checking in on a Friday night! How is everyone doing? I am almost 2 months since my surgery was March 1st. I am eating a little more but still very restricted as far as amount of intake at one time. I have found Quest chips crave my need to "having a crunching sound" when eating. Weight from surgery date is 34 lbs and 54 lbs all together. I have way more energy and each week seems to be better. The hardest part has been the acid reflux and constipation. TMI. If I could figure out those 2 issues, all would be really good! Would love to hear how the rest of you are doing!!

Congrats on the weight loss.
My surgery date was March 29. I’m down 15 since then. It’s slow , steady and consistent. With regards to the acid reflux, I was prescribed upon discharge Prevacid for 3 months post op to deal with the stomach acid. I take one before Breakfast and one before dinner. I have had Constipation too. My doc doesn’t want me to rely on Senokot which was prescribed the first few weeks. My dietition recommended Psyllium Husks which is the active ingredient in Metamucil. Psyllium Husk powder is a lot cheaper and does the same thing. I take 1 teaspoon every morning. You can stir it in Water or blend it in some apple sauce, which what I do. So far it seems to do the trick. It may take 2 days before it kicks in. Hope that helps.

Edited by ThanaK

I’ve noticed a lot of focus on comparing of weight loss on this forum. In a recent follow up appointment with my clinic, I asked if I’m losing what is expected. She said that they never comment about the amount loss but only that you are losing. It makes sense since all of us are at different starting points and at different BMIs.
Also, I wouldn’t recommend weighing yourself everyday. Pick a day and time and weigh yourself once a week. You don’t want to obsess with the number on the scale. You should focus more on how you feel each day.

53 minutes ago, ThanaK said:

I’ve noticed a lot of focus on comparing of weight loss on this forum. In a recent follow up appointment with my clinic, I asked if I’m losing what is expected. She said that they never comment about the amount loss but only that you are losing. It makes sense since all of us are at different starting points and at different BMIs.
Also, I wouldn’t recommend weighing yourself everyday. Pick a day and time and weigh yourself once a week. You don’t want to obsess with the number on the scale. You should focus more on how you feel each day.

I learned this the hard way after surgery, I wanted to weight myself everyday thinking there would be a big change. I learned to do it once or twice a month to keep me sane. My doctor told me at my last visit I was losing the normal amount even if it doesn’t seem like it and he said the numbers on the scale are just that and to be proud of the inches we lose along the way.

Hi All! My 2 month surgiversary was yesterday and I'm down 31 lbs since surgery and 77lbs since October when I started the process. So far everything has been going very well, and I'm feeling great!! I've had a stall already so that was mentally challenging, but I'm trusting the process and just moving forward with figuring out my new eating life and attitude. Hope everyone is doing well!

I hi I’m on week seven post op and feel the same way. i’m not hungry and i’m struggling to get 2 shakes a day and a yogurt. i tried a couple of bites of a baked chicken thigh but that was all i could do. And my go to when i feel i don’t have enough Protein is a piece of baked haddock.

So I’ve had my RNY surgery March 19th. So far I’ve lost about 34 pound which is great, no complaints from me. However, I have been having some pain under my left rib up to my left arm off and on. It only gets relieved by laying in that side or with a heating pad. Has anyone one had this before does it get better? I thought the gas pain only lasted a couple of weeks to a month. I’m post op 6 weeks and my surgeon says it’s normal, I am to take Beano, gas-x, Fiber tablets/gummies, and the occasional laxative.

Does anyone ever feel like they over eat? I know I am eating small portions, but sometimes I feel like I am going to stretch my stomach. I still have trouble not wanting liquids with my meal. I am getting better at setting a timer after eating to have liquids, but struggling still.

On 05/04/2021 at 08:37, njlimmer said:

Hi All! My 2 month surgiversary was yesterday and I'm down 31 lbs since surgery and 77lbs since October when I started the process. So far everything has been going very well, and I'm feeling great!! I've had a stall already so that was mentally challenging, but I'm trusting the process and just moving forward with figuring out my new eating life and attitude. Hope everyone is doing well!

Congrats! That’s exciting 31 lbs is awesome! I too just hit my two month mark. I feel like I had a stall already and mentally it can be exhausting. Sometimes I feel like I am not losing the right amount, but I know that is not the case. Like you said we have to trust the process. Thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, ReyCleo said:

Does anyone ever feel like they over eat? I know I am eating small portions, but sometimes I feel like I am going to stretch my stomach. I still have trouble not wanting liquids with my meal. I am getting better at setting a timer after eating to have liquids, but struggling still.

Thanks for your post. I can relate.

According to the nutrition plan I received, I get one ounce (mass, not weight) of Protein and 1-2 tablespoons of vegetables 3x a day. The surgeon said I can up it to 5x a day. That was fine initially, but 6 weeks out, I’m having more like 1.5-2 ounces of protein (maybe more). A one ounce medicine cup of chicken seems like almost nothing. I also had two turkey sausage links for a meal. Is that more than one ounce?

in order to get in my protein and carb goals I have to have a protein shake(s) and I’m supposed to have Gatorade or coconut Water for the carbs. I would rather eat than drink my protein/carbs/calories. This week I didn’t get my carb goals. I asked if I could have a few whole grain pretzel goldfish rather than Gatorade or coconut water, but I got a big no, I thought it may be ok since it is very similar in calories and carbs to the drinks.

What does everyone else do for carbs? Is anyone else allowed fruit or grains six weeks out? What is your suggested quantity of food?

I know my bariatric practice is stricter than most. I considered another plan that was different, but I preferred this surgeon. Meeting with a bariatric dietician from another practice tomorrow to get her advice.

I don’t want to stretch my pouch, like you said, but I don’t know that this is sustainable for the long term. Other bariatric plans allow small quantities of fruit/grains after protein and vegetables and the patients are successful,

Also, I’m usually ok without liquids when I eat, but when it’s super hot out and I’m walking or at my son’s soccer game, I sometimes find myself counting the minutes until I can rehydrate.

Sorry for the long email. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this.

On 05/06/2021 at 06:37, HeatherE said:

Thanks for your post. I can relate.

According to the nutrition plan I received, I get one ounce (mass, not weight) of Protein and 1-2 tablespoons of vegetables 3x a day. The surgeon said I can up it to 5x a day. That was fine initially, but 6 weeks out, I’m having more like 1.5-2 ounces of Protein (maybe more). A one ounce medicine cup of chicken seems like almost nothing. I also had two turkey sausage links for a meal. Is that more than one ounce?

in order to get in my protein and carb goals I have to have a protein shake(s) and I’m supposed to have Gatorade or coconut Water for the carbs. I would rather eat than drink my protein/carbs/calories. This week I didn’t get my carb goals. I asked if I could have a few whole grain pretzel goldfish rather than Gatorade or coconut Water, but I got a big no, I thought it may be ok since it is very similar in calories and carbs to the drinks.

What does everyone else do for carbs? Is anyone else allowed fruit or grains six weeks out? What is your suggested quantity of food?

I know my bariatric practice is stricter than most. I considered another plan that was different, but I preferred this surgeon. Meeting with a bariatric dietician from another practice tomorrow to get her advice.

I don’t want to stretch my pouch, like you said, but I don’t know that this is sustainable for the long term. Other bariatric plans allow small quantities of fruit/grains after protein and vegetables and the patients are successful,

Also, I’m usually ok without liquids when I eat, but when it’s super hot out and I’m walking or at my son’s soccer game, I sometimes find myself counting the minutes until I can rehydrate.

Sorry for the long email. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this.

I am glad to know I am not alone when it comes to fear of stretching.
My diet allows for fruit and vegetables. I am on the soft stage right now, so fruit with no skin and veggies need to be cooked. I can have raw veggies at three months. I am required to have three meals a day with 1/2 a cup of fruits or vegetables and 2-3 oz of a protein. I though my program was strict compared to some, but it sounds like yours is stricter. I use a scale to measure most my meals when I am home. It makes it easier and helps when I meal prep.

It’s quite crazy to have to wait to drink fluids. I live in Arizona and it’s hot already. So throughout the day I feel like I am constantly counting down until I can drink something.