Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you can't finish your meal

What do you do when you can't finish your meal? I prepare an appropriate portion size (about 4 ounces) and eat slowly with small utensils. Sometimes, before I finish the portion of food I prepared, I start to feel full, so I stop eating.

I'm sure this happens to most of us on occasion, so what do you do with the rest of the food? I usually put it in the refrigerator for a while and then go back and get the rest later. I don't know if this is the right approach, or if it's a bad habit that will come back to bite me someday. I'm a little worried because I recently saw a WLS YouTuber say that this is a habit that contributed to her regain.

I don't like wasting food, but I can get over that. The bigger problem for me is that I plan out my meals to get enough Protein, and if I don't eat all of what I served myself, I'm going to be short on protein. I'm not eating an excessive amount of food; I rarely go over 600 calories in a day, and I sometimes get full before I finish something like 2.5 ounces of Greek yogurt or a small salad with 1.5 ounces of chicken. Today, I started eating 4 ounces of pureed black bean Soup with half a scoop of GENEPRO, and I felt full after eating about 3/4 of it in 15 minutes. I only eat three meals per day and no Snacks other than Protein Drinks between meals, but I'm afraid that this might be kind of like cheating, because I'm sort of having the rest of my meal as a snack.

I'd love to know how other people handle this situation!

I usually save it for the next day, or sometimes my husband will eat it. I usually make (or order in a restaurant/take out) something that I plan to get 2-3 meals out of. Sometimes by meal #3, I'm just not in the mood for it, and at that point I might toss it. Recent example was a power bowl from Taco Bell. I had it for dinner, then the next day for lunch, then it sat in the fridge for a couple more days til I tossed it!

A common example for me is Breakfast sandwiches. I always make one, cut it in half, and wrap up the 2nd half for the following day. Also with salads, I never put dressing on them, and instead dip my fork in the dressing as I eat. Undressed salads keep in the fridge better.

50 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I'm a little worried because I recently saw a WLS YouTuber say that this is a habit that contributed to her regain.

How does this approach contribute to regain, I wonder?

I am 2+ years out and I still eat this way.

Whatever I can't finish (and if someone in the fam doesn't want to polish it off for me), goes into the fridge for later. I may eat the rest of it in an hour, a few hours, maybe the next day, or the day after that...depending on when I get hungry for it again (and it hasn't gone bad, lol).

Yeah, I do that sometimes and I think the experts call it "grazing" where you eat every couple of hours, just a few bites, but not three specific set meals. If left unchecked you might be "grazing" too often, but then again seeing as how you've already laid out the correction portion and that's all you're eating, just in multiple settings, it doesn't seem as though there's any harm in it. You're doing the right thing by stopping when you feel full.

Please take other people's experiences with a grain of salt.

Sometimes people who disclose things on public platforms don't necessarily give all of the details. There may be other reasons missing from the story of what let that specific content creator to regain.

If I cannot finish something, I either store it for the next meal or throw it away. food waste is a concern for me as well but I prefer it to overeating in one sitting or trying to eat something that did not hold up well in storage.

Good Luck ️ ❤️

17 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

How does this approach contribute to regain, I wonder?

This is the video:

Now, what she is describing is a little different than what I'm describing because she says she was making poor choices and perhaps eating more than her allotted portion size, but it was kind of alarming to hear that because I stop eating mid-meal and save the rest for later fairly often.

25 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Please take other people's experiences with a grain of salt.

Sometimes people who disclose things on public platforms don't necessarily give all of the details. There may be other reasons missing from the story of what let that specific content creator to regain.

If I cannot finish something, I either store it for the next meal or throw it away. food waste is a concern for me as well but I prefer it to overeating in one sitting or trying to eat something that did not hold up well in storage.

Good Luck ️ ❤️

Yes, that's very true! I have watched a lot of her videos, and there is definitely more to the story. She gained some weight due to pregnancy and she has acknowledged adding foods back into her diet that she shouldn't be eating. What she says in the video implies that her portion sizes were too large and she was "eating around the surgery" by eating too large a portion over a longer period of time. That's not what I'm doing -- I'm planning out an appropriate portion of healthy food for each meal -- but I'm also only 6 months out from surgery and still in the honeymoon period. I'm trying to avoid habits that could cause problems later on, so I was concerned when she cited this as something that contributed to her regain.

3 hours ago, BigSue said:

Yes, that's very true! I have watched a lot of her videos, and there is definitely more to the story. She gained some weight due to pregnancy and she has acknowledged adding foods back into her diet that she shouldn't be eating. What she says in the video implies that her portion sizes were too large and she was "eating around the surgery" by eating too large a portion over a longer period of time. That's not what I'm doing -- I'm planning out an appropriate portion of healthy food for each meal -- but I'm also only 6 months out from surgery and still in the honeymoon period. I'm trying to avoid habits that could cause problems later on, so I was concerned when she cited this as something that contributed to her regain.

Yes eating around the surgery is definitely possible and a scary thought but the fact that you're thinking about it and being cautious is probably a good sign ♥️

20 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

bypass satiety hormone rush

Hi! I haven't heard of this before. Can you link any information on where you found this, please and thank you ♥️

4 hours ago, BigSue said:

Im thinking that so long as you keep on top of total calories consumed, it doesn’t really matter how it gets in? l mean, consuming 3000 calories in 3 dedicated meals vs 10 mini-meals will still result in weight gain. And consuming 800 cals in either manner will result in a loss.

I think for a lot of peeps (myself included) grazing is a necessity. There is no way I could eat all the food I eat in a regular day in just 3 meals (unless of course my “meals” were like 3 hours long or something).

But of course, do what works for you, as we all have different MO’s that work for each us. Its really trial and error: follow a plan and keep following until it is no longer giving u the results u want...then change as necessary ❤️

I freeze a lot of my leftovers - well the Protein content - or eat it the next day. But generally I take at least 20 minutes to eat a meal. I usually take an hour to eat lunch but I do eat a lot of lettuce & other salad ingredients. I guess my protracted lunch is probably a bit like grazing or having mini meals.

I agree with Ms.SSS. If the calorie intake is the same it shouldn’t matter whether it’s eaten all in one go, in three separate meals or multiple mini meals. If you struggle to eat 4oz in a meal, I’d suggest you finish it off as a snack later in the day if you’re concerned about not meeting your goals. I had to eat Snacks to meet my protein goals when I was losing because I couldn’t get my protein in three meals alone. I eat even more snacks in maintenance so I don’t continue to lose. It’s hard cause I’m often just not hungry & my restriction kicks in a lot. All my snacks contain protein and are nutritionally sound (yogurt, fruit, hummus on multi grain crackers, cheese, Protein Bar, etc.). I find it works for me. You’ll find what works for you it just may take a lot of trial & error.

Good luck.

Last night, I was eating a taco (on a low carb fajita tortilla) and my stomach "burbled" and my dog was there in an instant, ie. before I knew I was full, I think my dog, Lola knew! LOL My son said she was like a service dog, but instead of signaling on low blood sugar, she signals when I'm full, so she can have my leftovers! LOL

My dog has learned that every time I get out food, there is a good chance that I will give her some. But, lately, I have been trying to focus on getting out the right amount, so the last two dinners, she has been disappointed.

I am in the WInston gets it! Woof Woof - But like many I do not sit down to a meal very often I pick at food throughout the day

Yesterday I tossed two leftovers. I was raised not to waste food but when I thought about saving it it would make me a little queasy. I am only 36 days out so barely in Phase 4. I'm not into cooking much so easier the better.

Sent from my [smartphone] using BariatricPal mobile app