Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2021 Sleeve Surgery

2 hours ago, Skittle_buttTTV said:

Is there a reason your only having to do the liquid only for 2 days? I have my physical/final visit with Dr on Feb 1st as my surgery is Feb 9 and I have some questions. I am barely over the BMI required to have this surgery but due to a extremely large list of other health problems I am in need of this surgery. So I am scared if I do this diet for 1 entire week i will be under the needed BMI. Anyone else had or have this issue?

I am barely over the BMI requirement as well. The surgeon's office told me that the weight that they log for you on the day of the Pre-Op appointment (physical/final visit) is the weight that gets sent to the insurance. Then it doesn't matter how much weight you lose or if you are under BMI because you are already approved. It sounded weird to me but that is what I got told.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:42 PM, softbalmom said:

I had my pre-op class yesterday. Have my pre-op blood work and meeting with my surgeon Monday. Starting liquids only tomorrow. Very excited for this new chapter in my life but also very nervous. they talked about nausea in my class and that is what I am most nervous about. I hate to throw up - I have only done it 4 times in my whole life!! They said that they will be able to help if I am experience any nausea. Anyone have any info on this?

Surgeon told me to let the anesthesiologist know to give me a anti-nausea shot before the surgery.

7 minutes ago, Spitfireash said:

Surgeon told me to let the anesthesiologist know to give me a anti-nausea shot before the surgery.

This is all very interesting to me. I had my final appointment with the surgeon. I did not meet the anesthesiologist they said he/she would call me. They also did not do any blood work on me or give any EKG's etc. Just told me what diet to follow, provided those instructions (pre and post op) in written printouts and sent me on my way.

Now I'm nervous!

1 minute ago, Yudelissa said:

Hello everybody my surgery is on February 2nd.. anybody going from a sleeve to a gastric? I’m excited but a bit scared I’m not gonna lie😩

I have seen this a couple times, do you mind sharing why you are going from one to another? Did the sleeve not work??

@FINFAN3DP yeah it did work. I lost about 90 lbs in about 1 year and a half.. but I used to go to the gym every day almost. Then I started working so my eating schedule and habits changed... but what really I think hurt me was the alcohol.. I love wine.

15 hours ago, GreenThumb said:

I guess this just goes to show that everyone's program is different - and sometimes REALLY different :)

Day 6 of the 2-week liquid diet is mostly done, and yet I'm not in ketosis. How on earth does that work? (They checked urine this morning.) I've averaging 650 calories per day, less than 35 g. of carbs per day (usually way less) and yet no ketosis, which makes me worry a little about my liver not shrinking. Down 8+ pounds.

My hospital apparently has a complex program to address narcotic abuse, so the medicine regimen in the days leading up to surgery is crazy - celebrex, gapapentin, anti-nausea meds, Colace, Tylenol, some sugary drink to prevent your glucose from tanking, all timed out. I walked out with 17 pages of instructions, lol, and that doesn't include the binder full of info for this Friday's class.

Also met the surgeon for about 5 minutes. It was a good day, but for some reason I'm not excited about this. Not sure if it's because I'm being realistic or if something else is off. Maybe overcompensating so I don't have a freak-out? Not sure. I'd be interested to know how others are feeling as they get closer to surgery.

Wait, they gave you "PRE" surgery meds??? Only meds i got were for AFTER surgery, to include 3 weeks of NEEDLES that I have to give myself two of every day to make sure i don't get blood clots.

I have met my surgeon a bunch of times, and the funny part is at first he couldn't use the divinci, then he told me "yeah, i'll be certified by then, so I can use it", then he says "don't worry, doctor so and so will be there to assist and give me tips and tricks"! So I understand your nerves as well. :)

3 hours ago, Skittle_buttTTV said:

Is there a reason your only having to do the liquid only for 2 days? I have my physical/final visit with Dr on Feb 1st as my surgery is Feb 9 and I have some questions. I am barely over the BMI required to have this surgery but due to a extremely large list of other health problems I am in need of this surgery. So I am scared if I do this diet for 1 entire week i will be under the needed BMI. Anyone else had or have this issue?

I have no idea why liquid only for 2 days. I honestly expected to go at least a week or two. I do know from reading here that each bariatric practice seems to do things slightly differently. I don't know for sure, of course, but I wonder if your doctor's office will use the weight you started at prior to the liquid diet. They obviously expect that you'd lose some from that.

58 minutes ago, Spitfireash said:

This is all very interesting to me. I had my final appointment with the surgeon. I did not meet the anesthesiologist they said he/she would call me. They also did not do any blood work on me or give any EKG's etc. Just told me what diet to follow, provided those instructions (pre and post op) in written printouts and sent me on my way.

Now I'm nervous!

No blood work? I thought that was just standard for any surgical procedure. At my anesthesiologist appointment, she measured my neck, looked down my throat and checked my teeth, aside from questions. Maybe they'll just do that stuff on the day of your surgery?

February 1st

46 minutes ago, NiceAnkles said:

No blood work? I thought that was just standard for any surgical procedure. At my anesthesiologist appointment, she measured my neck, looked down my throat and checked my teeth, aside from questions. Maybe they'll just do that stuff on the day of your surgery?

Let's hope so. Also, did you all have a hard time getting the surgery coordinator to call back and answer questions? My surgeon's coordinator sucks at calling back and answering the phone it seems. I'm almost at the point where I look for another surgeon.

1 hour ago, Spitfireash said:

Let's hope so. Also, did you all have a hard time getting the surgery coordinator to call back and answer questions? My surgeon's coordinator sucks at calling back and answering the phone it seems. I'm almost at the point where I look for another surgeon.

You know, I actually did. I always seemed to have to email and then send another a day or two later asking why I hadn't heard back yet. THEN I'd get a response. Phone was worse because not every employee is actually working in the office. That would suck if you have to start again with a new provider, but responding to patients is important.

50 minutes ago, NiceAnkles said:

You know, I actually did. I always seemed to have to email and then send another a day or two later asking why I hadn't heard back yet. THEN I'd get a response. Phone was worse because not every employee is actually working in the office. That would suck if you have to start again with a new provider, but responding to patients is important.

Glad to hear it's not just me.