Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange & unexpected changes

So. Ok. I’ve been noticing some strange & totally unexpected changes to my body post weight loss. I’m not talking shrinking feet & fingers. I mean they seem logical when I think about it but...

Was doing my makeup for Christmas Eve when I realised I could see the eyeshadow on my lids when my eyes were open. The reason this is strange is that for as long as I could remember, I’ve had hooded eyelids which run in the family. I had a fleshy overhang over my upper eyelid so I couldn’t really see any eyeshadow I applied & when I put on eyeliner I’d get a line on the overhanging part of my lid as well. But I’ve noticed my hooded eyes aren’t so hooded anymore. I can actually see eyeshadow & eyeliner just like most people do. So I guess I lost weight on my eyelids too. What the???

My neck is thinner & longer. Now the logic tells me this is because I don’t have a double chin any more & I don’t have extra flesh around my collar bones & shoulders. But I wasn’t really expecting it. I mean I’ll never have a swan like neck but I don’t feel like I’m being strangled physically or emotionally if I wear a high neck top.

Now this last one is a bit personal so beware. I’ve lost weight around my lady parts specifically my pubis region. It’s definitely less fleshy & ‘puffy’. So I guess I’ve lost weight there too. Who’da thunk it?

Anyone else noticed these changes or have other weird & unexpected changes to their bodies since they’ve lost weight?

35 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I realised I could see the eyeshadow on my lids when my eyes were open

LOLolololzzzz...I had to re-read this sentence as at first I was all "What the?? she can see through her eyelids? Or Are her eyelids drooping over her eyeballs??" Then I realized you were talking about looking at yourself in the mirror. Duh. (I'm tired, I really need to go to bed lol).

35 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Anyone else noticed these changes or have other weird & unexpected changes to their bodies since they’ve lost weight?

Armpits. They are concave now, so they are so much harder to shave (although there is a lot less to shave as my armlift had removed much of the part that grew armpit hairs!)

Head circumference. Hats that were snug or well fitted 2 years ago are now loose and floppy.

Back of neck hump. I used to have a fatty piece of flesh at the base of my neck at the back. It made me look like I was jutting my head foward when looking at me from the side. That lump is gone now, and like you, my neck looks longer, and also curvier from the side (at the front too, lol)

Stretch Marks/Cellulite. I thought these would be with me forever even after the weight loss, but to my surprise, they are gone (mind you, I did have plastics, so some of that skin may have been cut off, but areas that weren't touched by plastics have dramatically improved: back of legs, side of thighs, lower part of butt).

Nose: Everyone I've asked says they see no difference, but *I* do. Its smaller/less wide now.

Edited by ms.sss

I read the eye shadow thing like 10 times until I realized you were looking in a mirror!!! LOL

26 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Armpits. They are concave now, so they are so much harder to shave (although there is a lot less to shave as my armlift had removed much of the part that grew armpit hairs!)

This! I expected a lot of changes to my body, but it never occurred to me that my armpits would change so much! It is such a struggle to shave them now.

My eyes are only slightly less hooded than before, but l looked at childhood photos and confirmed that this is my normal eye shape

I am surprised to find that after WLS that I have more prominent cheekbones than I thought so I get to contour less with makeup.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

The change in my armpits was dramatic and unexpected. I don't shave them, but the deep craters made it harder to apply roll-on deodorant.

4 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I’ve lost weight around my lady parts specifically my pubis region. It’s definitely less fleshy & ‘puffy’. So I guess I’ve lost weight there too. Who’da thunk it?

Ummm...this happens to men as well, and the difference is quite noticeable. In a good way. 🙂

That's WONDERFUL! All good places to lose weight and nice changes with the eyelids. I have hooded eyes too.

How cool! I think I am going to have to take a long, hard look at my body, and see just where some of the weight is coming off, because I have lost nearly 60 lbs and only went down one pant size... Seems like it should be a little more, but... it isn't. :) I think I have lost some back fat (yay), and I HAVE noticed the underarm and pubis thing, so that is good... I HOPE my hooded eyelids become less hooded like yours!

Just thought of another one: My hands.

I have a pair of super cute mittens that I received as a gift a couple years ago. They were too small, in the sense that the bottom part of my palm would go beyond where they were supposed to. Anyhoo, now they fit fine, which honestly makes no sense to me as I don't understand how the LENGTH of my hand would shrink???

But whatevs, now I am sporting super cute mittens!

I just went & checked my underarms @ms.sss but I can’t remember what they used to be like - lol. And you’re right about cellulite. My thighs aren’t lumpy at all anymore. Shame about my saggy inner thighs though otherwise I’d be flashing some upper leg gams. Can’t comment on my butt cause, you know, I don’t really have one anymore 😁

My eyes used to be so hooded I had seriously researched blepharoplasty & looked for surgeon recommendations before wls. Looks like I’ve saved some money cause I don’t need it now. Whoo hoo! Fingers crossed for those also cursed with droopy lids.

I wish I had cheekbones @GreenTealael. I’m very jealous. Your cheekbones are gorgeous.

I hadn’t thought about the benefits for men @Recidivist of a shrinking pubic area but it sure made me smile 😜.